NEXT COACH should be? mega thread ...

Zamboni

8 hours ago, JJFIVEOH said:

I don't want another rookie coach. At this point I'll take Boogie or Jacques Martin over any other rookie coach in a heartbeat. 

Not me.  Just because of PH doesn’t mean we throw the baby out with the bath water. I’d rather take a chance.  

Edited by Gatorman0519

12 minutes ago, woods-racer said:

No Mighty Taco for you?

What next?

No Sahlens?

No chicken wings?

No beef on weck?

You'll stave to death if come down and go to a game!

No way, man.  You've got it all wrong, man.

The Mighty is terrible.

All those other things are not terrible.  The exact opposite of terrible, so awesome.

16 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

https://theathletic.com/922727/2019/04/19/stimson-how-the-next-sabres-coach-can-improve-the-teams-forecheck-and-breakouts/

This is a good article on why Housley's overall system was bad and how he failed. You can see how stationary the Sabres are when exiting or entering a zone. You can see what a good team can do. Really good read. 

Too bad I can’t read it without subscription 

58 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

And we have facts now? 

Not sure if that was snark, or a simple observation. I accepted the criticism, and yet I still get criticized? 

24 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

I just vomited in my mouth. 

giphy.gif?cid=790b76115cb9d11e71456b346f

Do you have a valid rebuttal or not?  

28 minutes ago, Gatorman0519 said:

Not me.  Just because of PH doesn’t mean we throw the baby out with the bath water. I’d rather take a chance.  

I'm not making the comment based on the fact Housley sucked. I'd just rather take Martin or Boogie over a rookie coach. 

9 minutes ago, JJFIVEOH said:

Not sure if that was snark, or a simple observation. I accepted the criticism, and yet I still get criticized? 

Do you have a valid rebuttal or not?  

Valid rebuttal, those are coaches who failed other places and I wouldn't hire a Bylsma assistant if you paid me too. 

How about we don't bring in guys who weren't good enough as head coaches but were good assistants... like Phil Housley. 

I would rather find the next Cooper than get another re-tread. 

.... also sometimes it is funny to respond with a gif. 

Edited by LGR4GM
  • Like (+1) 1

I want to add, if a coach gets a shot and he fails 1 place with a bad team, I understand maybe giving him a second chance. Housley, I could see him getting another chance some day even though I think he isn't head coach material. But these guys that bounce from team to team and their only qualification seems to be they coached in the NHL before is silly. With that logic, all coaches would be 100 years old because no new head coaches would exist. There would just be the same 40 guys being shuffled in an out. 

The probably with Housley wasn't that he was a Rookie NHL Head Coach, it was that he was a Rookie Head Coach. 

Edited by LGR4GM

4 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Valid rebuttal, those are coaches who failed other places and I wouldn't hire a Bylsma assistant if you paid me too. 

How about we don't bring in guys who weren't good enough as head coaches but were good assistants... like Phil Housley. 

I would rather find the next Cooper than get another re-tread. 

.... also sometimes it is funny to respond with a gif. 

Martin hasn't been a head coach in years. I'd like to hear your knock on him. 

Boogie was only fired because Tallon had Q-Ville lined up. I'd like to hear your knock on Boogie. 

3 minutes ago, JJFIVEOH said:

Martin hasn't been a head coach in years. I'd like to hear your knock on him. 

Boogie was only fired because Tallon had Q-Ville lined up. I'd like to hear your knock on Boogie. 

Okay... he hasn't been a head coach in years, there's another knock against him. Also I gave you my knock on him. It is in what you quote. 

Edited by LGR4GM

3 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

I want to add, if a coach gets a shot and he fails 1 place with a bad team, I understand maybe giving him a second chance. Housley, I could see him getting another chance some day even though I think he isn't head coach material. But these guys that bounce from team to team and their only qualification seems to be they coached in the NHL before is silly. With that logic, all coaches would be 100 years old because no new head coaches would exist. There would just be the same 40 guys being shuffled in an out. 

I also think Cooper isn't head coach material. Never was. He took a team with a ton of talent and led them to the playoffs. But he also got swept with the best team the NHL has seen in over 20+ years. He deserves to get fired as much as Housley. 

Just now, LGR4GM said:

Okay... he hasn't been a head coach in years. Also I gave you my knock on him. It is in what you quote. 

I also mentioned he hasn't been a head coach in years. Did you miss that? But I'd take him over Taylor or Keefe any day. Same goes for Boogie. 

1 hour ago, JJFIVEOH said:

Are you saying that most people haven't brought up the fact that Murray wasn't fired for another other reason? It surely wasn't because he wasn't performing because he never had the opportunity to prove himself. He deserved at least another year. 

What?

Here's what you said:

general knowledge that Murray got fired for calling Kim bad names

Calling that "general knowledge" is nonsense. 

It's also nowhere near "the fact that Murray wasn't fired for another other reason," which is a major backpedal.

For that matter, saying that Murray was "fired for another reason" is nowhere near "a fact."  It's simply more unfounded message board speculation. 

To be clear, you and everyone else is free to engage in this kind of speculation.  But upgrading rumors to "general knowledge" and "facts" is BS, and needs to be recognized as such.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, JJFIVEOH said:

I also mentioned he hasn't been a head coach in years. Did you miss that? But I'd take him over Taylor or Keefe any day. Same goes for Boogie. 

I quite literally added that as a knock after you said it. So no, I didn't ***** miss it.  

Hasn't been a head coach in years, was mediocre as a head coach but we should hire him as a head coach... how bout no. 

I don't love or hate Boughner. You love him because he was the Panthers coach. He's on par with Keefe in my mind although, I like Keefe a little more. Bougner's only pro experience outside the OHL was the 2 years he just spent in Florida. His OHL record is mediocre. Boughner does have a WJC as a coach I think. 

Keefe has more experience than Boughner as a HC at the pro level. Boughner has more at the OHL level. Keefe has been a pro head coach for 4 years. In his OHL days, Keefe lost to McDavid led Otters team twice so whatever. He's been extremely successful with the Marlies. 

• Like (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, JJFIVEOH said:

I also think Cooper isn't head coach material. Never was. He took a team with a ton of talent and led them to the playoffs. But he also got swept with the best team the NHL has seen in over 20+ years. He deserves to get fired as much as Housley. 

Hard disagree.  He has led the team to their top three regular seasons in franchise history and to the eastern conference finals three times in six years.  I'd like to see what he could do with a less stacked lineup, but some of the reasons that team has developed such a stacked lineup may be due to his coaching.  The team/players were not that good when he took over.  He helped mold them into the team that they are today.

I’m interested in the Keefe speculation and defer to those that know him more. However, I don’t know if from a “business” point of view and “doing what’s generally considered right” that you can hire another organization’s AHL coach without your AHL coach leaving. I’m just not sure of the optics.

As for Martin and Boughner, it would make my decision to cancel my tickets much easier.

Just now, tom webster said:

I’m interested in the Keefe speculation and defer to those that know him more. However, I don’t know if from a “business” point of view and “doing what’s generally considered right” that you can hire another organization’s AHL coach without your AHL coach leaving. I’m just not sure of the optics.

As for Martin and Boughner, it would make my decision to cancel my tickets much easier.

Agreed. It would be a very tricky situation to hire Keefe, but not promote Taylor from within. That said, after looking at their coaching experiences and past success, you can see that Keefe has had more sustained success at multiple levels. Plus, he has 2 years more experience coaching in the AHL as a HC and has won a Calder Cup.

He’s definitely more qualified than Taylor, but it also sends Taylor a clear message; that Taylor will never have a chance to be promoted to HC in Buffalo. If Keefe becomes successful, then he’ll be locked in at HC for a long time. If Keefe bombs out, we definitely won’t be hiring an AHL coach next time around and besides, the whole organization (including Jbot and likely Taylor too) will likely be cleaned out as well. 

11 minutes ago, tom webster said:

chris taylor can go to another ahl team but he’s certainly not getting phone calls from any nhl clubs aside from maybe an assistant job. i have no worries about this. taylor should know he’s done nothing to warrant consideration.

Are you saying that most people haven't brought up the fact that Murray wasn't fired for another other reason? It surely wasn't because he wasn't performing because he never had the opportunity to prove himself. He deserved at least another year. 

I’m on record here as saying GMs should generally get 5 years because it should take that long for proper player and culture development to fully take hold. The exception would be when the expected indicators of progress in both areas are not being met and there is evidence of the opposite.

The lack of organizational leadership and structure under Murray was pretty evident. It has also been reported that as the team collapsed into chaos during the back half of his final year he had no answers to the Pegula questions of “why?” and “how will you fix it?

i suspect a major difference between Botterill and Murray is that Botterill had answers this year: “look at Rochester” “Look at the growth of Jack and Sam, give Dahlin, Casey and the others time” “this is a better place to work and that will reflect in our record soon” “I’m bringing in a better leader as coach” and “Remember what I did with Skinner? I’ll be making these moves this summer.”

And he’s crossing his fingers those moves will work.

Because next summer he won’t be able to use the same response.

9 hours ago, JJFIVEOH said:

I don't want another rookie coach. At this point I'll take Boogie or Jacques Martin over any other rookie coach in a heartbeat. 

Bob Boughner was a rookie head coach two years ago. You think his two playoff-free NHL seasons automatically make him better than any coach who hasn’t coached in the NHL?

2 hours ago, Radar said:

While I may not want our owner dictating who the GM hires I'm sure most owners have some say. If I owned the team I would expect to. So, is the concern because it's this particular owner or do you think no owners should be involved?  Most,not all, on this board seemed to approve of the Housley hire myself included. Now that it appears to have been a mistake we blame ownership and divorce ourselves from our initial approval of the hire.

Not to parrot Mike Schopp here, but I want to do what's smart. I want hockey people to make hockey decisions. If every other owner is picking the coach (and that's surely not true), we should have a strong advantage if our owner is not. It's common sense. Honestly, I don't know why a real fan of the team who became owner would expect to, or want to, have any say in who's coach. It's absurd.

1 minute ago, PASabreFan said:

Not to parrot Mike Schopp here, but I want to do what's smart. I want hockey people to make hockey decisions. If every other owner is picking the coach (and that's surely not true), we should have a strong advantage if our owner is not. It's common sense. Honestly, I don't know why a real fan of the team who became owner would expect to, or want to, have any say in who's coach. It's absurd.

I don't think we have evidence that Pegula is involved in this coaching search. We had some for the Bills hire. Housley we could speculate. It's just hard to see who is making the final call. Sounds like Botterill decided to fire Housley. 

3 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

I don't think we have evidence that Pegula is involved in this coaching search. We had some for the Bills hire. Housley we could speculate. It's just hard to see who is making the final call. Sounds like Botterill decided to fire Housley. 

Correct on lack of evidence. These are slippery people. Botterill wouldn't want it out there that he didn't hire Housley, and neither would Terry. Terry and Kim will interview candidates — that's about as much as we'll ever know.