NEXT COACH should be? mega thread ...

Zamboni

3 hours ago, dudacek said:

Julien, Quenville, Babcock...why fight back with a lesser version of the division’ coaching leaders? Let’s chart our own path.

Sheldon Keefe is a tough, attacking, competitive, technically savvy communicator who has developed youth and won at every level. Don’t knee jerk away from a rookie because of Housley. He’s not Housley. Let’s be ahead of the curve for once.

Plus it would mess with the Leafs. He’s ready. Do it.

https://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/nhl/toronto-marlies-sheldon-keefe-1.4707771

https://www.thestar.com/sports/leafs/2018/04/07/keefes-winning-style-could-give-marlies-boss-a-ride-to-nhl.html

https://theathletic.com/233808/2018/02/16/the-marlies-master-of-detail-how-head-coach-sheldon-keefe-has-led-the-leafs-ahl-affiliate-to-historic-heights/

He is my number one choice right now

2 hours ago, Pimlach said:

Gentlemen, while I agree that the Canes were fortunate that we had injuries but all 6 starters is wrong.  

According to records we played game one of the series with Lyman, Fitzpatrick, Tallinder, Numinem, McKee, Campbell.  Fitz was our 7th defensemen and replaced an injured Kalinin back in the Ottawa series    

We played game-seven of the series with Lyman, Fitzpatrick, Paetsch, Janik, Jillson, Campbell. 

We lost 3 defenseman in the Carolina series, 4 overall.  

Not 6.  

Okay.. I'll go with that.  Although I thought both Lydman and Campbell had been injured at some point.  Perhaps the timing is off.  We'll go with 4 of the top 6.. and I'm still going with fluke.  

Laviolette's only run comes when his opponent his extremely hindered on defense and they still barely won and managed to face the Oilers who somehow finagled their way into the SCF despite being terrible.

Either way, I'm wholly unimpressed with Laviolette.  Also, he's from the New England area and I still recall his accent.  EVery press conference would feel like I was listening to a Bruins game... and I can't have that.

• Haha (+1) 1

6 hours ago, LTS said:

Laviolette's only run comes when his opponent his extremely hindered on defense and they still barely won and managed to face the Oilers who somehow finagled their way into the SCF despite being terrible.

He’s taken two other teams to the Stanley Cup Finals though.  A Flyers team with Michael Leighton/Brian Boucher splitting playoff starts in goal, and Nashville a couple years ago.

24 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

Man, I wish we could nail down the Terry-really-hired-Wowie angle. I trust Brawndo, but it just can't be entered as evidence yet.

And why do you wish this?......oh, never mind guess that's quite obvious.

45 minutes ago, Radar said:

And why do you wish this?......oh, never mind guess that's quite obvious.

It's OK for you to think I'm too negative or have an axe to grind with the owner (I do). But I would ask you this: if it went down that way, are you OK with the owner telling his new GM who the coach should be?

1 hour ago, PASabreFan said:

Man, I wish we could nail down the Terry-really-hired-Wowie angle. I trust Brawndo, but it just can't be entered as evidence yet.

You'll never get the evidence you want.  Suffice to say, Phil's hiring has Pegula written all over it.

• Like (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, ct fab said:

Terry is in love with All former Sabres - see Perreault. The Housley hiring has his hands all it. I loved what Ray said about Housley about 15 years ago

For those of us memory impaired, could you paraphrase?

34 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

It's OK for you to think I'm too negative or have an axe to grind with the owner (I do). But I would ask you this: if it went down that way, are you OK with the owner telling his new GM who the coach should be?

While I may not want our owner dictating who the GM hires I'm sure most owners have some say. If I owned the team I would expect to. So, is the concern because it's this particular owner or do you think no owners should be involved?  Most,not all, on this board seemed to approve of the Housley hire myself included. Now that it appears to have been a mistake we blame ownership and divorce ourselves from our initial approval of the hire.

• Like (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, Radar said:

While I may not want our owner dictating who the GM hires I'm sure most owners have some say. If I owned the team I would expect to. So, is the concern because it's this particular owner or do you think no owners should be involved?  Most,not all, on this board seemed to approve of the Housley hire myself included. Now that it appears to have been a mistake we blame ownership and divorce ourselves from our initial approval of the hire.

This is a good point.  I want botts to have full say on this hire but we shouldn’t forget the housley hire was almost unanimously approved by the fan base at the time.

2 minutes ago, Radar said:

I mentioned previously that Botterill is a "yes" man. I took criticism for labeling him that because I really had no proof, it was merely an opinion. I guess the criticism was justified. But, based on what is general knowledge that Murray got fired for calling Kim bad names, I can see how the owners meddle in the decision making. 

With that in mind, I don't agree with that mentality. Viola meddled in the decision making for the Panthers, especially when it came to the GM by committee concept. Until he figured out that didn't work and gave power back to Tsllon. And Viola hasn't been heard from since. 

15 minutes ago, Radar said:

If the CEO of a car company has a masters in business and finance. And doesn’t know gear ratios, struts, and how to interpret crash test results, then he/she needs to stay the F away from telling the experts in those areas how to do their job and influencing their decisions in such matters. 

Owners (unless they are very knowledgeable about what makes a great coach) should stay the F away from influencing who coaches a team.

Why is that logic flawed?

What logical, well thought out reason is there that says Pegula must have a say?  Not “feelings” or “the right to” or “but but but he owns the team/writes the checks”

Edited by Zamboni
  • Like (+1) 1

22 minutes ago, JJFIVEOH said:

I mentioned previously that Botterill is a "yes" man. I took criticism for labeling him that because I really had no proof, it was merely an opinion. I guess the criticism was justified. But, based on what is general knowledge that Murray got fired for calling Kim bad names, I can see how the owners meddle in the decision making. 

With that in mind, I don't agree with that mentality. Viola meddled in the decision making for the Panthers, especially when it came to the GM by committee concept. Until he figured out that didn't work and gave power back to Tsllon. And Viola hasn't been heard from since. 

No.  Not general knowledge.  Not anything other than completely unsubstantiated message board rumor.

24 minutes ago, JJFIVEOH said:

?

5 minutes ago, nfreeman said:

No.  Not general knowledge.  Not anything other than completely unsubstantiated message board rumor.

Are you saying that most people haven't brought up the fact that Murray wasn't fired for another other reason? It surely wasn't because he wasn't performing because he never had the opportunity to prove himself. He deserved at least another year. 

1 minute ago, New Scotland (NS) said:

Hey guys,

Millionth time caller, never been a listener ...

So, any news that I should be made aware of.  

Thanks.  I'll hang up and listen.

Tacos are delicious. 

Edited by LGR4GM

https://theathletic.com/922727/2019/04/19/stimson-how-the-next-sabres-coach-can-improve-the-teams-forecheck-and-breakouts/

It’s also important to note that this cannot be explained away with “they didn’t have talent” either. Look at some of the teams that had good forechecking – Detroit, Arizona, Vancouver. Yes, those teams were awful at breaking the puck out, but those are two different phases of the game. You can be good at both like Carolina, but it’s more likely that a team is good at one or the other. The question is, how to improve?

This is a good article on why Housley's overall system was bad and how he failed. You can see how stationary the Sabres are when exiting or entering a zone. You can see what a good team can do. Really good read. 

• Like (+1) 1