NEXT COACH should be? mega thread ...

Zamboni

12 hours ago, Pimlach said:

I want a coach that is a character.  He has to be a bit mean and cranky and sarcastic too.   Like Torts, Laviolette, Julien, Trotz ... you know.

No more cebrebral types that are stuck on a system.  

Bob Boughner

4 hours ago, LTS said:

I'm not sold on Laviolette.

The guy has led teams but his only Stanley Cup win was a fluke.  Other than that he's been fired for NOT getting the job done despite having a talented roster.

Think about it.  Advocating for a guy, who despite Nashville's roster, could not win the Stanley Cup against Pittsburgh and would have just lost to Dallas.

You cannot win the Stanley Cup by fluke.  It is just too dam hard to win that thing. 

Just now, Pimlach said:

You cannot win the Stanley Cup by fluke.  It is just too dam hard to win that thing. 

So, your opponent losing all 6 starting D to injury is not a fluke?  Hmm.  I guess the Sabres fans are going to have to go back and give Carolina credit for that series then.

7 minutes ago, Pimlach said:

Not in the sense that you have a mediocre team and fluke your way to 16 wins.  However, in the sense that a fluke occurrence (e.g., the aforementioned Sabres defense) changes the outcome of a close series along the way, it can happen.

Edited by carpandean

1 minute ago, carpandean said:

Not in the sense that you have a mediocre team and fluke your way to 16 wins.  However, in the sense that a fluke occurrence (e.g., the aforementioned Sabres defense) changes the outcome of a close series, it can happen.

But it happens in every series, in every year. What if Kucherov isn't suspended. What if defenseman A doesn't have that rib bruise. That isn't luck, that is just what happens. 

29 minutes ago, ct fab said:

Rumor from another board has Jbotts sitting next to Lindy Ruff on a plane from Ft. Lauderdale today.  Take it for what it's worth - Lindy may be on the Canadian staff for the worlds??

I saw that tweet. It was from some bogus twitter account 

44 minutes ago, ct fab said:

Rumor from another board has Jbotts sitting next to Lindy Ruff on a plane from Ft. Lauderdale today.  Take it for what it's worth - Lindy may be on the Canadian staff for the worlds??

Lindy is on Vigneault's Team Canada staff.

But I'm with WildCard on the truthiness.

40 minutes ago, carpandean said:

Not in the sense that you have a mediocre team and fluke your way to 16 wins.  However, in the sense that a fluke occurrence (e.g., the aforementioned Sabres defense) changes the outcome of a close series along the way, it can happen.

Yup. Don't forget in the Cup that year, Roloson got hurt. So the good fortune didn't end with the conference final. 

39 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

But it happens in every series, in every year. What if Kucherov isn't suspended. What if defenseman A doesn't have that rib bruise. That isn't luck, that is just what happens. 

Yes, that's luck. 

21 minutes ago, TrueBlueGED said:

Yup. Don't forget in the Cup that year, Roloson got hurt. So the good fortune didn't end with the conference final. 

Yes, that's luck. 

Luck is just the classification of a random event that turns out in your favor.

Julien, Quenville, Babcock...why fight back with a lesser version of the division’ coaching leaders? Let’s chart our own path.

Sheldon Keefe is a tough, attacking, competitive, technically savvy communicator who has developed youth and won at every level. Don’t knee jerk away from a rookie because of Housley. He’s not Housley. Let’s be ahead of the curve for once.

Plus it would mess with the Leafs. He’s ready. Do it.

https://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/nhl/toronto-marlies-sheldon-keefe-1.4707771

https://www.thestar.com/sports/leafs/2018/04/07/keefes-winning-style-could-give-marlies-boss-a-ride-to-nhl.html

https://theathletic.com/233808/2018/02/16/the-marlies-master-of-detail-how-head-coach-sheldon-keefe-has-led-the-leafs-ahl-affiliate-to-historic-heights/

Edited by dudacek
  • Like (+1) 3

8 hours ago, WildCard said:

Sounds like he has an open mind, that's at the least encouraging 

8 hours ago, Doohickie said:

Sounds like he has no clue what he wants.  That's a bit discouraging.

#Perspective
#BecauseBuffalo

I’m not 100% Convinced that PH was completely Botterill’s Decision. There are some vague rumors floating around that the coach decision was virtually made by the time Botts was hired.

5 hours ago, TrueBlueGED said:

This makes a lot of sense to me. With the big names off the board, there's no reason to rush this. Be thorough, talk to a lot of candidates from varying backgrounds, and find the best fit that way. 

I like this approach. He has at least gotten in front of, or attempted to talk to 2 of 3 Coaches that were hired. 

AHL Coaches will start becoming available soon for interviews and I would think Dallas Eakins gets announced by the Ducks soon after.

That leaves Edmonton, Ottawa and the Sabres needing HCs 

FWIW, From the Buffalo News Today, in response to a question asked by Lisa Dillman of The Athletic.

It was a great experience," McLellan, who was in Buffalo last week to watch his son, Tyson, compete in the NCAA Frozen Four, said. "I can tell you whoever gets that job will have a great ownership group and a management group to work with. They’ve got a tremendous pool of assets and it will be a really good job."

34 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Julien, Quenville, Babcock...why fight back with a lesser version of the division’ coaching leaders? Let’s chart our own path.

Sheldon Keefe is a tough, attacking, competitive, technically savvy communicator who has developed youth and won at every level. Don’t knee jerk away from a rookie because of Housley. He’s not Housley. Let’s be ahead of the curve for once.

Plus it would mess with the Leafs. He’s ready. Do it.

https://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/nhl/toronto-marlies-sheldon-keefe-1.4707771

https://www.thestar.com/sports/leafs/2018/04/07/keefes-winning-style-could-give-marlies-boss-a-ride-to-nhl.html

https://theathletic.com/233808/2018/02/16/the-marlies-master-of-detail-how-head-coach-sheldon-keefe-has-led-the-leafs-ahl-affiliate-to-historic-heights/

Punch'd love it.

• Thanks (+1) 1

This is a shortlist of my favorite candidates.  I wouldn’t exclude all others, because what do I know, but this is what I’ve come up with.  I have no problem with Botterill taking his time.  Some of these guys are still involved in the playoffs.

Unemployed:  Dave Tippett(Probably committed to Seattle), John Stevens, Rikard Gronborg

NHL Assistants:  Todd Richards, Todd Nelson, DJ Smith, Kris Knoblauch

AHL HC’s:  Dallas Eakins(Probably committed to Anaheim), Sheldon Keefe, Chris Taylor

NCAA Coaches:  Scott Sandelin, Nate Leaman

7 hours ago, LTS said:

So, your opponent losing all 6 starting D to injury is not a fluke?  Hmm.  I guess the Sabres fans are going to have to go back and give Carolina credit for that series then.

7 hours ago, carpandean said:

Gentlemen, while I agree that the Canes were fortunate that we had injuries but all 6 starters is wrong.  

According to records we played game one of the series with Lyman, Fitzpatrick, Tallinder, Numinem, McKee, Campbell.  Fitz was our 7th defensemen and replaced an injured Kalinin back in the Ottawa series    

We played game-seven of the series with Lyman, Fitzpatrick, Paetsch, Janik, Jillson, Campbell. 

We lost 3 defenseman in the Carolina series, 4 overall.  

Not 6.  

2 hours ago, Brawndo said:

I’m not 100% Convinced that PH was completely Botterill’s Decision. There are some vague rumors floating around that the coach decision was virtually made by the time Botts was hired.

I like this approach. He has at least gotten in front of, or attempted to talk to 2 of 3 Coaches that were hired. 

AHL Coaches will start becoming available soon for interviews and I would think Dallas Eakins gets announced by the Ducks soon after.

That leaves Edmonton, Ottawa and the Sabres needing HCs 

FWIW, From the Buffalo News Today, in response to a question asked by Lisa Dillman of The Athletic.

It was a great experience," McLellan, who was in Buffalo last week to watch his son, Tyson, compete in the NCAA Frozen Four, said. "I can tell you whoever gets that job will have a great ownership group and a management group to work with. They’ve got a tremendous pool of assets and it will be a really good job."

I don’t expect McLellan to say anything different.

I suspect both parties knew he was pretty far down the road with LA (like Quenville was with Florida) and the meetings were more about due diligence than anything else.

I think Botterill knows he needs to get this right, which will only increase his tendency to be methodical in the selection process. He will have a strong sense of what he liked about Phil, and a strong sense of where he was lacking. He’s going to offer the job to a guy that ticks all his personal, freshly-shaped boxes, as opposed to “the highest-profile guy available” (Bylsma) or “the owner and the industry likes him and he seems pretty good to me too” (Housley).

I don’t expect a knee-jerk selection, either from a timing, or an obvious change in resume and approach.

• Like (+1) 1