NEXT COACH should be? mega thread ...

Zamboni

8 hours ago, Nitro60 said:

Wild card choice would be a TV guy.  That would be something they would do.  

I heard PIerre McGuire interviewed about the ongoing playoffs on SiriusXM this morning.  Then they moved onto coaching changes.  The mentioned the salary increases so far this year.  Pierre said he didn't want to coach again because the job doesn't last long; the interviewer pointed out, "Yeah, but the separation pay is pretty good."

So maybe instead of between the benches, he'll end up behind the bench.  ?

16 hours ago, Curtisp5286 said:

He has a contract with Toronto which he needs to honor, so he can’t just quit.  Buffalo would need to ask Toronto’s permission to interview him or to hire him.  NHL teams often grant such permission if it’s going to be a promotion for the candidate, but yes, they do have the right to say no.

Contract or not, I can’t see how someone can be legally compelled to work for a certain employer, especially when better opportunities exist. It certainly works the other way, coaches are commonly “relieved of their duties”. Players can get their contracts terminated. Of course, teams are compelled to continuing paying them. It seems to me, this is something that could be negotiated for if we really wanted him. That later 1st round draft pick could come up. 

17 minutes ago, kas23 said:

Contract or not, I can’t see how someone can be legally compelled to work for a certain employer, especially when better opportunities exist. It certainly works the other way, coaches are commonly “relieved of their duties”.

Even when coaches are relieved of their duties, the team is still obligated to honor the contract and pay them.

Generally if a team has an assistant coach, they will grant permission to interview them.  Just because its the ethical thing to do.  If you repeatedly hold back your employees from advancing their career, not a lot of good people are going to want to work for you in the future.  I know that 2 years ago the Leafs declined to let Dubas interview for Buffalos GM job, but that was because there was already a set plan in place for him to take over for Lamarello the next year.guess

I guess this is the long way of saying that teams generally do grant permission for their assistant coaches to be interviewed for head coaching positions.

Also, there generally is not compensation (such as draft picks) involved in such instances.  I'm not even sure if it is allowed under NHL rules any longer.

Edited by Curtisp5286

3 minutes ago, WildCard said:

Where's that? In the playoffs?

Nice.  Had a leaf fan ragging on my today about how long it's been since the Sabres made the playoffs.  Not cool hearing it from him but no problems with a fellow Sabres fan!

Just now, Curtisp5286 said:

Even when coaches are relieved of their duties, the team is still obligated to honor the contract and pay them.

Generally if a team has an assistant coach, they will grant permission to interview them.  Just because its the ethical thing to do.  If you repeatedly hold back your employees from advancing their career, not a lot of good people are going to want to work for you in the future.  I know that 2 years ago the Leafs declined to let Dubas interview for Buffalos GM job, but that was because there was already a set plan in place for him to take over for Lamarello the next year.guess

I guess is the long way of saying that teams generally do grant permission for their assistant coaches to be interviewed for head coaching positions.

Yes, to me Dubas is a different animal.  There was legit interest in him becoming the next GM in short order (Lamarello was like 90).  For coaching, Babcock has like 6 years left on his deal.  Noway I could imagine the leafs barring him from trying to find a head coaching job in the NHL.  It's not like there will likely be an opportunity in T.O. for the forseeable future.

On 4/15/2019 at 9:03 PM, PASabreFan said:

Punch Imlach won four Cups with the Leafs. John Muckler, who won Cups in Edmonton, might also qualify as a five-star hire, although he started as director of hockey operations then slid into the head coach spot. At the time the Sabres hired those two, they were giant names in hockey.

I'll be darned. Thanks.

Keefe’s Contract was set to expire after this season and Dreger reported he was interested in going to the NHL as a HC. When he did sign an extension with Dubas there is a clause that voids the deal in the event a HC Job Offer becomes available.The question becomes did the New Deal allow Dubas discretion to determine what teams can talk with him. John Shannon of Sportsnet reported that Ottawa would be interested in speaking with Keefe and DJ Smith, Toronto’s Asst Coach. I find it hard to believe that Ottawa would get permission and Buffalo would not. 

35 minutes ago, WildCard said:

Honestly the more I think about it, the more I want Ruff back. If he hadn't already coached here, he'd be the obvious choice

Only if Gronberg or Taylor would be in line to take over in a year or two maximum and Ruff moves to a different position in the organization. 

5 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

Keefe’s Contract was set to expire after this season and Dreger reported he was interested in going to the NHL as a HC. When he did sign an extension with Dubas there is a clause that voids the deal in the event a HC Job Offer becomes available.The question becomes did the New Deal allow Dubas discretion to determine what teams can talk with him. John Shannon of Sportsnet reported that Ottawa would be interested in speaking with Keefe and DJ Smith, Toronto’s Asst Coach. I find it hard to believe that Ottawa would get permission and Buffalo would not. 

I'm still all aboard the DJ Smith train!!

Gronberg was approached by the Sabres and Canes last offseason but he was not interested in taking an Assistant Job it that time. In an interview about two months ago he said that he may have to take an Assistant Job in the NHL rather then a NHL HC Job right away to learn the NA Game has evolved. 

Taylor has done a very good job with the Amerks, but he and Botterill might feel he needs more time in the AHL. 

Ruff could serve as a mentor to one of them with the expectation he will transition to another role in 12-24 Months. 

The biggest down side is that would be four new coaches in a five to six year period for a young team 

8 minutes ago, Derrico said:

I'm still all aboard the DJ Smith train!!

That would be a fantastic hire 

11 minutes ago, WildCard said:

Not quite sure I understand this plan

See above 

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, WildCard said:

Honestly the more I think about it, the more I want Ruff back. If he hadn't already coached here, he'd be the obvious choice

So, out of curiosity, if Ruff had coached any other NHL team for 15 seasons and never gotten them a Cup, you’d still take him over anyone else?

21 minutes ago, Andrew Amerk said:

So, out of curiosity, if Ruff had coached any other NHL team for 15 seasons and never gotten them a Cup, you’d still take him over anyone else?

Objectively, Ruff’s resume is not more impressive than, or at least pretty comparable to Therrien, Martin, or Carlyle’s.

I'm in the "the next coach should have no connections to Buffalo hockey" as much as I'm in the "I don't care who the next coach is for the most part" camp which is an interesting place. Lindy Ruff interests me zilch.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, SwampD said:

Another guy we should have gone after.

It's just too bad "the game passed him by." 

That was never the critique on him. The critique on him is his sht gets old fast, because all he does is yell

For the record, in the fall I wanted him as our coach. Just point out 'the game passed him by' was not the concern

1 minute ago, WildCard said:

That was never the critique on him. The critique on him is his sht gets old fast, because all he does is yell

For the record, in the fall I wanted him as our coach. Just point out 'the game passed him by' was not the concern

That's a little bit of revisionist history if you ask me.