NEXT COACH should be? mega thread ...

Zamboni

3 minutes ago, ... said:

You know, the mention of Lindy doesn't necessarily cause a nervous twitch.  An assistant job would be okay by me.  

There is no way on god’s green earth Lindy comes back to Buffalo as an assistant. 

Can anyone name an instance where this has happened in any sport, ever? 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

23 minutes ago, SDS said:

There is no way on god’s green earth Lindy comes back to Buffalo as an assistant. 

Can anyone name an instance where this has happened in any sport, ever? 

Billy Martin.... Yankees

Edited by North Buffalo

45 minutes ago, SDS said:

Nolan came back as HC.

I'm not saying that's what I want, but:

1. It wouldn't surprise me.
  2. It wouldn't terribly upset me.

Just now, ... said:

Nolan came back as HC.

I'm not saying that's what I want, but:

1. It wouldn't surprise me.
  2. It wouldn't terribly upset me.

Correct. Nolan came back as Head Coach. Lindy Ruff is not coming back to Buffalo as anyone's assistant. What a clown show that would be. I'd yank the power cord from this server myself.

• Haha (+1) 3

10 minutes ago, SDS said:

Correct. Nolan came back as Head Coach. Lindy Ruff is not coming back to Buffalo as anyone's assistant. What a clown show that would be. I'd yank the power cord from this server myself.

Right, the difference between HC and AC makes a difference.  You would have a better feel on what would happen here, but still, I don't know if would be THAT bad.

6 hours ago, Gatorman0519 said:

JBot should just wait it out.  Nothing much left out there.  I’m willing to swing for the fences with one of the up and coming guys or see if someone gets let go.  The retreads left are not going to be a huge improvement.  

This strategy worries me in the sense that I'd find it rather troubling if Botterill has to settle for the 3rd, 4th, 5th option on his depth chart. 

If he evaluated these "retreads" and simply determined they were not what the Sabres are looking for, that's entirely different and I'm good with that. 

Unfortunately we'll probably never know one way or the other, realistically. 

3 hours ago, Hoss said:

For the other non-Whovians.

60050DD2-FCB2-48E3-B0AF-B4DC85CDBCDA.jpeg

Barty Crouch Junior!!

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Thorny said:

This strategy worries me in the sense that I'd find it rather troubling if Botterill has to settle for the 3rd, 4th, 5th option on his depth chart. 

If he evaluated these "retreads" and simply determined they were not what the Sabres are looking for, that's entirely different and I'm good with that. 

Unfortunately we'll probably never know one way or the other, realistically. 

As T.S. Eliot once wrote...

Shall I part my hair behind?   Do I dare to eat a peach?
I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach.
I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each.

I do not think that they will sing to me.

You worry about the unknowable. There is no one right coach for any team, with all others being wrong. The best any of us can do is use the information we have before us, make a reasonable decision and move on with life.

28 minutes ago, SDS said:

As T.S. Eliot once wrote...

You worry about the unknowable. There is no one right coach for any team, with all others being wrong. The best any of us can do is use the information we have before us, make a reasonable decision and move on with life.

Yes. 

No, but there is definitely one that Botterill adjudges to be the best fit. All else being equal, I want him to get his guy, his pick, his deal, etc etc

The latter bit is spoken like a true Gandalf and I commend you for it. 

Edited by Thorny

So you guys can't imagine a scenario where Ruff comes back as HC and Epic Beard becomes Associate Head Coach or something?

They could make Lindy Head Coach and Head of Hockey Relations* and then after a season or two retains just the Head position and turns over HC to Epic Beard.

*i.e., Sabretooth's boss and he gets to attend alumni events.  Or some other position of some prestige but limited responsibilities.

Edited by Doohickie

7 minutes ago, Doohickie said:

So you guys can't imagine a scenario where Ruff comes back as HC and Epic Beard becomes Associate Head Coach or something?

They could make Lindy Head Coach and Head of Hockey Relations* and then after a season or two retains just the Head position and turns over HC to Epic Beard.

*i.e., Sabretooth's boss and he gets to attend alumni events.  Or some other position of some prestige but limited responsibilities.

Far fetched, but I suppose it’s possible.

8 minutes ago, Doohickie said:

You know Terry is dying to make good on his words to Lindy.

17 minutes ago, Doohickie said:

Lindy coming back is not unfathomable. Lindy coming back with his testicles swimming in a jar on top of a shelf is. 

He either comes back as HC or greater. He's not coming back after 17 years as HC to sweep the floors, while the Buffalo press hounds him for quotes and the fans light up social media asking when he will get back behind the bench. 

Then let him get behind the bench, mentor the prodigy coming across from Sweden and then step back (up) after a year or two.

I think I read an article that Epic Beard actually left the Swedish team to bone up on the NHL in an effort to get hired here.  He'd certainly be up for an associate/assistant coaching position with high probability of promotion within a couple years.

1 minute ago, tom webster said:

Why would he leave his current position to be anything less then a head coach?

My guess is because he eventually wants to be a head coach in the NHL and this is the logical stepping stone.  

7 minutes ago, Doohickie said:

Then let him get behind the bench, mentor the prodigy coming across from Sweden and then step back (up) after a year or two.

I think I read an article that Epic Beard actually left the Swedish team to bone up on the NHL in an effort to get hired here.  He'd certainly be up for an associate/assistant coaching position with high probability of promotion within a couple years.

"Let him"? lol

Hey Lindy, we want this guy as a HC, not you. Can you show him the ropes, so we can push you aside when he is ready? 

Oh, and someone needs to follow Dahlin around and carry his sticks. You'll be doing that too. 

5 hours ago, Doohickie said:

I think you could almost make Lindy the "executive" coach and Epic Beard the "bench" coach, with the idea that Lindy's there as #1 as long as he needs to be until Epic Beard is up to speed with the North American game and the long season.  I could see Lindy being in overall control of the team and Epic Beard having the majority of in-game decisions.

It would take an acknowledgement from Lindy that he's not going to be the Sabres coach for 16 years again (possibly give him a 2 year contract and Epic Beard a 3 year contract to indicate that?), and presumes that Lindy and Epic Beard could work well together.

That would be...epic.