NEXT COACH should be? mega thread ...

Zamboni

1 hour ago, SDS said:

When was the last five star coach to be hired by either the bills or the Sabres? 

Scotty Bowman is all I got. That may be it in the entire history of both franchises. 

While this does not preclude a brand-name coach from taking the job, there are 100 team years of history that says our two sports teams are not destinations for such people. 

Adjust your expectations accordingly. 

Chuck Knox

2 hours ago, SDS said:

When was the last five star coach to be hired by either the bills or the Sabres? 

Scotty Bowman is all I got. That may be it in the entire history of both franchises. 

While this does not preclude a brand-name coach from taking the job, there are 100 team years of history that says our two sports teams are not destinations for such people. 

Adjust your expectations accordingly. 

Punch Imlach won four Cups with the Leafs. John Muckler, who won Cups in Edmonton, might also qualify as a five-star hire, although he started as director of hockey operations then slid into the head coach spot. At the time the Sabres hired those two, they were giant names in hockey.

• Like (+1) 2

Pick a random average franchise: Minnesota, St. Louis, Calgary..., Pick ten teams from a hat...

Write a list of their 10 biggest name signings: free agents, coaches, players, GMs...

Compare to the Sabres over the same period.

I think when you look beyond a couple power franchises the Sabres stack up pretty well.

14 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Pick a random average franchise: Minnesota, St. Louis, Calgary..., Pick ten teams from a hat...

Write a list of their 10 biggest name signings: free agents, coaches, players, GMs...

Compare to the Sabres over the same period.

I think when you look beyond a couple power franchises the Sabres stack up pretty well.

Would you say Carolina and the NYI have more talent then we do?  

16 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Would you say Carolina and the NYI have more talent then we do?  

Right now? They are certainly deeper.

My post wasn’t in reference to right now, it was in response to the “nobody ever wants to go to Buffalo” sentiment up-thread.

I can't be Taylor as the next coach IMO. Jeremy White's secret twitter source ruled it out, that guy has been right a few times before. There isn't many leaks in this process but the one constant is experienced coach. Guy earlier in this thread wonders if Babcock is a good coach or if he just has talented teams? Whats to say that Taylor wasn't just given a good team? In reality, Taylor only has one good season to show for. Last season the Amerks were the luckiest team in the league constantly winning in OT or SO before getting their butts whooped to the Crunch in the first round.

I just think Taylor needs more time to proof himself in the AHL.

I think when they finally make a decision on a coach it'll be someone like Mike Yeo or Kevin Dineen who won't really excite the fanbase. Most of the recycled names are underwhelming unless Jon Cooper gets let go, but i highly doubt he would consider us.

• Like (+1) 2

Just now, dudacek said:

Right now? They are certainly deeper.

My post wasn’t in reference to right now, it was in response to the “nobody ever wants to go to Buffalo” sentiment up-thread.

Gotcha,

I think a reasonable coach can look at our roster and see Eichel, Dahlin, Samson and a few others and think he can build something.  I also think Jbot has to prove to these guys is that he is going to get a 2nd line center and improve the d Zone defense before they jump on board.  If we can see these problems then so can any perspective coach.

Some names I can think of that haven’t gotten a lot of run here:

- Benoit Groulx (Syracuse Crunch HC)

- Tony Granato (Wisconsin HC, former HC in the league)

- Scott Sandelin (Minnesota-Duluth HC)

- Bob Hartley (Omsk KHL HC, former Flames, Avs, Flames HC)

6 hours ago, Hoss said:

I might be wrong here, but I don't think Chris Taylor is a viable candidate for the job unless the team gets turned down by just about everybody else. Just from a resume standpoint and what Botterill has been saying.

I agree. I think if ends up being Taylor it's a last resort type pick 

Todd Nelson - Won a Calder in the AHL, brief tenure as Edm HC in 2014-15 after Eakins fired.  Maybe it's time to him to get a real chance.  Played for Cunneyworth and the Amerks in 2000-01. (by the way Jbot joined the Amerks two years later)

Dave Tippett - AHL ast coach and HC and NHL ast coach and HC.  Really did a pretty good job in Arizona.  Former UND player.

Also how about Randy Cunneyworth.  Sabres and Pen.  Roch HC for many years.  NHL Ast coach and briefly HC in Montreal in 2011-12.

Edited by GASabresIUFAN

Tippett has a good record but he is signed as an adviser to Seattle.  He fits the parameters if the Sabres could lure him here.  Tippett has caught my attention - seems like the last "good", experienced coach available.

Kinda seems like they will wait until after the playoffs at this point, eh? 

I wonder whether and how much they actually wanted McL and/or AV.  Even if they didn't make any actual offers, it could've been because the coaches indicated that they weren't interested -- so not making an offer would've let the Sabres save face.

All I know is that right now they are nowhere.

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, nfreeman said:

I wonder whether and how much they actually wanted McL and/or AV.  Even if they didn't make any actual offers, it could've been because the coaches indicated that they weren't interested -- so not making an offer would've let the Sabres save face.

That's fine, right now there is nowhere to go but golfing. 

15 minutes ago, nfreeman said:

If, as I fervently hope, the guy JBOTS wants is still working right now, then the delay isn’t a big deal.  Assuming 1. There is a guy and 2. He comes aboard... what could go wrong? 

16 hours ago, Huckleberry said:

Ruff - Epic beard swede ass his assistant.

16 hours ago, Indabuff said:

I'm strangely comfortable with it.

I think you could almost make Lindy the "executive" coach and Epic Beard the "bench" coach, with the idea that Lindy's there as #1 as long as he needs to be until Epic Beard is up to speed with the North American game and the long season.  I could see Lindy being in overall control of the team and Epic Beard having the majority of in-game decisions.

It would take an acknowledgement from Lindy that he's not going to be the Sabres coach for 16 years again (possibly give him a 2 year contract and Epic Beard a 3 year contract to indicate that?), and presumes that Lindy and Epic Beard could work well together.

• Like (+1) 2