NEXT COACH should be? mega thread ...

Zamboni

On 4/7/2019 at 8:33 PM, Andrew Amerk said:

“To me, the only challenge that would be left is the National Hockey League, to be perfectly honest,” said Grönborg. “I’ve kind of done all that stuff and coached some of the best players in the world. Now I’m interested to have my ideas, to [implement] them over a period of time and do them overseas, and kind of challenging the coaching community over in the NHL.”

“When it comes to North American coaching, generally speaking, a coach comes to coach vs. just being a trainer, as we call it in Sweden [coach is translated as tränare in Swedish]. Go out and train the team,” said Grönborg. “Here it’s actually a coach and kind of plan how we utilize the players and give them job descriptions and whatnot. There’s different tweaks in the game situations instead of just kind of rotating four lines, which was very common back in Sweden.”

“You’d rotate four lines until there was 10 minutes left and then go down to three lines and then you go down to two lines the last two minutes. …In Sweden, it was very common to have four very even lines.”

He is a huge proponent of developing players and has seen success at a national level. A large part of the strength of the U-18, I-20 and National team for Sweden comes from Grönborg. He has helped develop a large number of NHL talents. 

They have won back to back golds at the world championship under Grönborg. Their U20 team has won two silver medals under him in three years and the U18 also won two silver medals in three years under Grönborg. 

Grönborg could bring something new and potentially gamebreaking to the Sabres and the NHL.

9 minutes ago, WildCard said:

Great article on him

https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/rikard-gronborg-nhls-first-european-head-coach-since-2001/

If was in North America, or had previous HC experience in the NHL, we'd be all over him.

It is a good article, I had pulled quotes from it early on in this thread ?

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Andrew Amerk said:

Getting closer and closer to Gronborg.

I'm thinking Chris Taylor.  The guys with experience are getting fewer and their appeal is getting less as well.  I'm getting that retred feeling.  It's important to note, Taylor is not PH.  I think he's a better communicator, has a career of toughness (both mental and physical),  knows the system and the young guys, has made the playoff 2 years in a row, and played with JBot.  It would take a large circumference of testicle on JBot's part to make the move, but JBot knows his job is on the line.  If he goes with Taylor, I'm all in.  Maybe Taylor is "the next guy".  Who knows?

1 hour ago, WildCard said:

We're gonna hire Todd Richards, book it

Yeah he was one of my early guesses when this all began as well. Fits the portrait so to speak as he was the coach of the Penguins AHL team: Wilkes-Barre/Scranton, when Botterill was the director of hockey operations in 2007-08.

Probably one of the hottest assistant coaches out there looking to get the big job & has had some pretty good success with the bolts.

I'd rather have him than Taylor. Give me Richards & Gronberg as his assistant & hope for the best lol.

6 minutes ago, sodbuster said:

This post is a re-tread.

I still feel that we are going to end up promoting Taylor. 

Forget about promoting Taylor.  They should promote NS.  I am not quite old enough to be a re-tread.  And besides re-treads do work out.  Last time I glimpsed a headline the Islanders were doing alright.  That said, the guy named after what a horse does is not really a re-tread.

Really, though I do not want the Sabres taking a risk on another rookie NHL coach, unless everybody else says no to the job.  Then it should go to me by default.

Anyway, the natives are restless and just not satisfied ... ?

Edited by New Scotland (NS)
typing issues abound ...
  • Like (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Phil Housley

Todd McLellan

Alain Vigneault 

Now what?

Lindy Ruff?  

Mike Babcock? May be available soon

Jon Cooper? May be available soon

Todd Richards?

Might have to try...somebody...new! The horror!!! 

(half serious half troll) 

Edited by TrueBlueGED

When was the last five star coach to be hired by either the bills or the Sabres? 

Scotty Bowman is all I got. That may be it in the entire history of both franchises. 

While this does not preclude a brand-name coach from taking the job, there are 100 team years of history that says our two sports teams are not destinations for such people. 

Adjust your expectations accordingly. 

1 minute ago, SDS said:

When was the last five star coach to be hired by either the bills or the Sabres? 

Scotty Bowman is all I got. That may be it in the entire history of both franchises. 

While this does not preclude a brand-name coach from taking the job, there are 100 team years of history that says our two sports teams are not destinations for such people. 

Adjust your expectations accordingly. 

Who was the last 5 start NHL coach hired by anyone? Babcock was in high demand, Quennenville maybe, and then?

I might be wrong here, but I don't think Chris Taylor is a viable candidate for the job unless the team gets turned down by just about everybody else. Just from a resume standpoint and what Botterill has been saying.

• Like (+1) 2

17 minutes ago, WildCard said:

Who was the last 5 start NHL coach hired by anyone? Babcock was in high demand, Quennenville maybe, and then?

Trotz, Julien in the past couple years.

but I guess it depends on the definition of 5-Star.

Just now, Curtisp5286 said:

Trotz I'll give ya, but Julien was fired/hired mid-season by a team that has had no issue replacing him

Just now, Curtisp5286 said:

Yeah, I was making a larger point. I don’t really have the desire to pontificate on who is a four star, 4.5 star, five star… coach. 

It’s just when people mention Mike Babcock or Mike Shanahan or whomever… There is no history  with either of our teams hiring such people. Don't be overly disappointed when we don’t land the big fish. 

Just now, SDS said:

Yeah, I was making a larger point. I don’t really have the desire to pontificate on who is a four star, 4.5 star, five star… coach. 

It’s just when people mention Mike Babcock or Mike Shanahan or whomever… There is no history  with either of our teams hiring such people. Don't be overly disappointed when we don’t land the big fish. 

I get the point, I don't think it's true however. Rex Ryan was a big fish, Dan Byslma was, and Housley himself was a well sought after coach. 

• Like (+1) 1

I kind of agree with SDS to temper expectations. Maybe after Eichel was drafted, or after Dahlin was drafted, we might of had cache based on potential. However, after a garbage season all of that goes away and we're Buffalo, again, to the outside world.

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, SDS said:

I would agree with your larger point.  I’m ok with it though.  I get the reasons.  It’s not an especially attractive location, unless the team itself is very good.  If this becomes a consistent winning team/organization, that could change things to an extent.

52 minutes ago, SDS said:

It was interesting listening to Peters today on the Instigators. He asked a question I've thought about. Is Babcock a great coach or has he had great talent. If he stayed in Detroit would they be much better? Or did he just get out before the decline and go to a team on the rise? I'm of the opinion Babcock is a very good coach but not as great as we may imagine. Sure he's a "big fish" but his name may be bigger than he is himself. Shanny also benefited by the talent around him in Denver. I think he's overrated.

Edited by Radar

1 hour ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Phil Housley

Todd McLellan

Alain Vigneault 

Now what?

Lindy Ruff?  

Todd Richards?

Rolston.

2 minutes ago, Radar said:

It was interesting listening to Peters today on the Instigators. He asked a question I've thought about. Is Babcock a great coach or has he had great talent. If he stayed in Detroit would they be much better? Or did he just get out before the decline and go to a team on the rise? I'm of the opinion Babcock is a very good coach but not as great as we may imagine. Sure he's a "big fish" but his name may be bigger than he is himself.

Sounds familiar.

1 hour ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Phil Housley

Todd McLellan

Alain Vigneault 

Now what?

Lindy Ruff?  

Todd Richards?

Babcock is going NOWHERE even if they lose the next 3 games.

Lindy Ruff. I’ve seen that movie. I’d rather change the channel.

Cooper would be cool.

Todd Richards I’m 50/50 on.