NEXT COACH should be? mega thread ...

Zamboni

25 minutes ago, Die Hard said:

Funny isn’t it? Considering Botterill explicitly mentioned defensive zone lapses as part of the teams major area of need for improvement.

That would suggest that him and Phil have different philosophies and that he coached what Phil wanted him to coach.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, SDS said:

That would suggest that him and Phil have different philosophies and that he coached what Phil wanted him to coach.

Entirely possible.

Also, after Housley’s first season.... I seem to recall the fact that he was mandated to upgrade his assistants. So perhaps Smith was more of a Botterill hire than a Housley one. Perhaps that might explain why he’s reluctant to release him outright... and will give the new coach an opportunity to keep him aboard. Or at least convince him too ?

Housley was tight with Smith from what I recall. Smith can take part of the credit for the improved PK and the blame for the D zone coverage. He has the development of the Canes D on his resume though. It may ultimately come down to his relationship with Dahlin, which is reportedly good.

• Like (+1) 1

A relaxed and happy-sounding AV looking forward to leading a Team Canada with skilled, fast forwards and puck-moving defencemen that plays an up tempo game (sound familiar?). Talked to former Team Canada coaches Cooper, McLellan and Ruff (who is going with him as an assistant) to help him prepare.

He said he would very much be interested in returning to the NHL bench if the right opportunity presented itself, then politely stated he was not going to talk about the opportunities that are out there, or what type of opportunity might interest him.

The radio guys did a lot of gushing over what a great guy and great coach - the best in Vancouver history - he is, .632 winning percentage, 2 presidents trophies, six division titles, 6 100-point seasons (pro-rating the lockout) and six playoff series wins over 7 years. 

He will be working closely with Botterill for the next six weeks.

No Buffalo mention except a joke by the host after he left that there should be opportunities for him, but after coaching in Vancouver, New York, and Montreal he’s probably not going to Buffalo.

Edited by dudacek
  • Thanks (+1) 2

8 hours ago, Huckleberry said:

https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/rikard-gronborg-nhls-first-european-head-coach-since-2001/

Don't know if it has been posted before but interview with epic beard coach.

I wouldn’t be ‘totally’ against it, but I’d defer to Dahlin’s exit locker day snippet.  Where Dahlin says it’s a lot different   

2 hours ago, Derrico said:

Another one bites the dust....and another one gone another one gone another one bites the dust.....

Hopefully 1 day soon we'll be singing We Will Rock You & We Are The Champions... instead of where we are now looking for Somebody to Love.

No doubt JBots is Under Pressure to get this hire right, or the Hammer Will Fall ?

• Haha (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Derrico said:

Another one bites the dust....and another one gone another one gone another one bites the dust.....

If you spin the vinyl backwards the chorus says “it’s fun to smoke marijuana“. Verified myself. 

• Haha (+1) 1

On 4/11/2019 at 10:23 PM, Brawndo said:

Grönborg has mentioned recently he will probably have to be an Asst Coach in the NHL First. 

This would be an interesting idea for the Sabres. 

And he was already mentioned about a year ago by Friedman as a possible assistant coach candidate with the Sabres.

• Like (+1) 1