NEXT COACH should be? mega thread ...

Zamboni

57 minutes ago, CallawaySabres said:

I don't think our next coach has been fired yet. Unfortunately, I think Boudreau stays so not sure who that LEAVES as far as the rest. I think Babcock only gets canned if he is swept in the 1st round. ...

Anyone else find it ironic we are waiting for our next coach to be fired so we can sign them?

• Like (+1) 1

54 minutes ago, Swedesessed said:

I really am on board with the Sheldon Keefe mentions, Would be a great outside the box hire for the Buffalo Sabres.

Keefe sounds like an excellent coach. However, are you worried about his age? Maybe it’s my perspective, but I’m 40 and can’t realize someone younger than myself taking on the responsibility of coaching an NHL team. 

2 minutes ago, kas23 said:

Anyone else find it ironic we are waiting for our next coach to be fired so we can sign them?

The difference is that most of these other teams are not satisfied with anything less than a deep playoff run. I am just hoping to see another playoff SERIES before I die. Just find someone who can at LEAST take that first step.

2 minutes ago, kas23 said:

Keefe sounds like an excellent coach. However, are you worried about his age? Maybe it’s my perspective, but I’m 40 and can’t realize someone younger than myself taking on the responsibility of coaching an NHL team. 

The age doesn’t bother me. It’s winning experience. And as long as he surrounds himself with winning NHL experience with assistants, and he leans on them, it should be (key word should) a good recipe for success. 

• Like (+1) 1

I don't know enough about outside coaches to have any informed opinion on the matter....

BUT

The only criteria I care about is hire someone who has ZERO ties to this organization. I don't want Bob Boughner, Chris Taylor, Mike Wilson, Darcy Reiger, Lindy Ruff, John Rigas, or Sabretooth behind that bench. 

Judging by the photo of that swedish guy with the beard, he'd be my first choice.

• Haha (+1) 1

59 minutes ago, kas23 said:

Paul Maurice was 28 when he took over the Whalers.  He eventually took them to the Cup Finals. 

2 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Im sorry but I don't want a Swedish coach who also has to learn and develop with the team.

But.... EPIC BEARD.

Just now, LGR4GM said:

Meh. Playoffs are a different animal. Toronto was off to a much hotter start, has been much worse of late; how do they play against each other (the Bruins won the season series 3-1); Toronto has legitimately no defense

I would be pretty surprised if Toronto won honestly

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, WildCard said:

Meh. Playoffs are a different animal. Toronto was off to a much hotter start, has been much worse of late; how do they play against each other (the Bruins won the season series 3-1); Toronto has legitimately no defense

I would be pretty surprised if Toronto won honestly

I’ve been saying that for two years.  They are no better then we are defensively except their goalie is better and their offense is 10x better.  Swap the forward groups and we’d be in the playoffs and they’d be going home.  

John Shannon was on with Howard on GR-55 today; he reports that Hitchcock is out at Edmonton for sure.

Is he going back to retirement?  He could make a great choice to get the ship righted in Buffalo, even if only for a year or 2 before he goes back to retirement.  

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, CallawaySabres said:

No more experiments in coaching. Veteran only for this shiitshow

I agree with you.  I listened to the WGR-550 broadcasting yesterday.  For what it's worth, the idea was put forth, based on "knowing how the Sabres organization works," that they will probably end up hiring Chris Taylor.  

That was suggested by Schopp but everyone else thought this made sense.

I have a fear that the organization will in fact do this.  I would suggest this is even likely. 

I don't think he's the right choice for this job at this time.

2 minutes ago, Kruppstahl said:

John Shannon was on with Howard on GR-55 today; he reports that Hitchcock is out at Edmonton for sure.

Is he going back to retirement?  He could make a great choice to get the ship righted in Buffalo, even if only for a year or 2 before he goes back to retirement.  

Not a terrible idea. He could keep the seat warm for Chris Taylor.

I'm not sure what to think of McLellan.  He's had success.  I don't think you can pin the debacle of Edmonton on him as their GM situation is the biggest joke.

Clearly Hitchcock was not able to fix what was wrong in Edmonton either.

He had a pretty good run with the Sharks.  He had the stones to pull the 'C' from Jumbo Joe.

1 minute ago, LTS said:

I'm not sure what to think of McLellan.  He's had success.  I don't think you can pin the debacle of Edmonton on him as their GM situation is the biggest joke.

Clearly Hitchcock was not able to fix what was wrong in Edmonton either.

He had a pretty good run with the Sharks.  He had the stones to pull the 'C' from Jumbo Joe.

He got the Oilers into the playoffs, so he must be pretty good.