NEXT COACH should be? mega thread ...

Zamboni

A little write up on Chris Taylor

https://buffalonews.com/2019/04/05/rochester-americans-buffalo-sabres-chris-taylor-ahl-nhl-amerks-news-2019/

The mood on Tuesday was light despite the rigorous workout prior to this weekend's games against Syracuse with first place in the North Division at stake.

That is what Taylor's players have come to expect when they arrive at the rink each day. He encourages the typical joking and lighthearted antics between drills or off the ice; however, each player, no matter their age or status, is expected to execute every drill to perfection.

1 minute ago, CallawaySabres said:

No more experiments in coaching. Veteran only for this shiitshow

The list of veteran coaches failing is pretty long. I also think head coaching experience at a professional level such as the AHL does count. 

15 hours ago, MillerVaive said:

Also with Rikard Grönborg  hiring him would make some sense since we've been stockpiling Swedes here. Plus I've read that he is really good at developing relationships & getting the most out of his players. Not only evaluating the talent of his teams himself but asking the players to evaluate themselves individually & as a group.

And just look at that photo of him above. He shows more of a commanding presence in that 1 image than what I've seen all year from PH.

Whoever it is, JBots better not screw this one up & do whatever it takes to bring his top candidate in here.

He was awesome in the Hunt for Red October.  ?

• Haha (+1) 3

Ok I'm going to throw my hat in the ring and promote DJ Smith.  This is not just because I live in Oshawa and a Gens fan.  He was an EXCELLENT coach when he was here.  The year the Gens won the memorial cup there was no indication it would be that special of a year going in.  They overachieved (imo) every single year he was behind the bench.  Yes they had some good players and yes they were an older team but they overachieved with him.  Plain and simple.

He was named OHL coach of the year in 2013-2014 (not even the year they won the Mem cup)

Won the Memorial Cup in 2015

Mike Babcock made him one of his first assistant hires in 2015

Several Leafs have praised him in their development (including Morgan Rielly who is a legit Norris candidate)

Below is a good article on how he is being groomed under Babcock to be a future head coach

https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/maple-leafs-grooming-d-j-smith-become-nhl-head-coach/

I will admit that I can't recognize coaching to the point of visually seeing the adjustments they make in-game.  All I know is the team was almost always better in the second period if they were behind in the first.  To me it had to be coaching making the in-game adjustments.  I think he will be a great head coach one day.

18 hours ago, nfreeman said:

My top choice is Quenneville; #2 is AV. 

I think it needs to be someone who the guys are kinda scared of.

I think word I would use instead of "scared " of is "respect". 

The players need to respect the coach, confidence he knows what he is doing and what he is preaching and that begets listening when he tells you something you should be doing that your not.    

• Like (+1) 1

52 minutes ago, Skibum said:

I don't have a candidate in mind, but I would prefer a young up-and-comer to an old re-tread. 

I'm thinking the opposite. Young GM, young players we need more experience not less. Having said that it will be whoever Botterill thinks team needs.

56 minutes ago, Skibum said:

I don't have a candidate in mind, but I would prefer a young up-and-comer to an old re-tread. 

just curious, is any veteran coach considered a re-tread? Not trying to be a wise ass.

2 minutes ago, Radar said:

I'm thinking the opposite. Young GM, young players we need more experience not less. Having said that it will be whoever Botterill thinks team needs.

Hard to argue with that.