NEXT COACH should be? mega thread ...

Zamboni

16 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

@Curtisp5286 Boudreau, Vigneault and McLellan all fit, except Boudreau and Vigneault have failed at 3 previous job.  Nelson should be an NHL chance, but as he has never coached in the NHL, he doesn't fit the description.  I'd also rule out McLellan, although I think he is a good coach, he just failed in a very similar situation in Edm that we have in Buffalo.

I'm ok with Vigneault, but Boudreau would be my choice if he becomes available.  He has shown the ability to build team, improve defensive play and made the playoff 10 or 12 years.  

I agree with a lot of this, but until True and Hoss' points on AV and Boudreau respectively are addressed I want nothing to do with them

Just now, WildCard said:

Last time around I was interested in Richards. He's still there too, I would bet some team snags him. He's coached in the NHL before too 

Yeah, i would think he'll be a hot name this summer for NHL openings. I've always heard he's been a respected coach and now hes coming off being Jon Cooper's asst from a historic regular season.

1 hour ago, WildCard said:

Mostly just to piss off Toronto

This is as persuasive of an argument as we're likely to have in this thread. 

1 hour ago, Hoss said:

He won as many playoff games in three seasons with the Wild as they did the season before he got there (2).

The Ducks won the same before and after him (they've gotten much worse now but they had three straight playoff seasons after he left).

He did take the Caps to new ground (a decade ago) when they were sputtering but never got over the hump. The team continued at the same pace he had them for several years after he left before breaking through.

Not convinced he's having a major impact anywhere he goes.

Same could be said of Trotz. He seemed to have capped out in Nashville, goes to Washington and they're the same as ever...then they go and win a Cup. Then he takes the Isles from worst to first (not literally worst to first, but whatever) after they lose their best player for nothing. 

Again, Boudreau has success everywhere, even if it comes without a Cup. And he's done it with rosters that had very different makeups. I'm a fan. 

Edit: If nothing else, with Boudreau here, I wouldn't have to see constant whining from fans about how the coach doesn't show any emotion. 

Edited by TrueBlueGED
  • Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

History shows that coaches who win Cups have some NHL HC experience on one or two previous jobs, often lead those teams into the playoffs, but ultimately failed.  Disco Dan is the exception here.

However, history also shows that coaches who win Cups never win another with a different franchise, except Bowman.  

Find me a coach that fits that description and I’ll be interested.  Therefore no Quennenville

Not an endorsement, but John Stevens also fits your criteria perfectly.

EDIT: Jack Capuano, Guy Boucher, Dave Tippett, Mike Yeo also

Edited by Curtisp5286

For all the flak Housley gets about tactics and lineup choices, I think his biggest flaw was leadership.

We have a young team that needed - and needs - someone more demanding. It’s not coming from the room enough, so it needs to come from the coach. Bylsma seemed too much of a dweeb and Housley too much of a friend.

• Like (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, dudacek said:

For all the flak Housley gets about tactics and lineup choices, I think his biggest flaw was leadership.

We have a young team that needed - and needs - someone more demanding. It’s not coming from the room enough, so it needs to come from the coach. Bylsma seemed too much of a dweeb and Housley too much of a friend.

We really don't, though. The only young players we had in critical positions were Dahlin and Mittelstadt. 

6 minutes ago, TrueBlueGED said:

We really don't, though. The only young players we had in critical positions were Dahlin and Mittelstadt. 

We have some veterans but we are going to be incorporating youth into key positions over the next couple years.  Dahlin, Mittelstadt, Thompson, Ullmark, Rodrigues, Pilut, Nylander, Olofsson, Borgen, Smith.  All those guys have played in the NHL but have no more than one full season of experience and will be asked to fill even bigger roles going forward.  Then there will also be Asplund, the 2019 1st and others after that.

The team is actually going to get younger moving forward.

Edited by Curtisp5286

25 minutes ago, TrueBlueGED said:

Maybe immature is the better word.  They need a stronger voice in the room.  Housley was the wrong guy for that reason alone.

Also with Rikard Grönborg  hiring him would make some sense since we've been stockpiling Swedes here. Plus I've read that he is really good at developing relationships & getting the most out of his players. Not only evaluating the talent of his teams himself but asking the players to evaluate themselves individually & as a group.

And just look at that photo of him above. He shows more of a commanding presence in that 1 image than what I've seen all year from PH.

Whoever it is, JBots better not screw this one up & do whatever it takes to bring his top candidate in here.

• Like (+1) 1

21 minutes ago, Ducky said:

McLellan, Tippett or Ralph Kruger? 

Dark horse...Hawerchuk?

Kruger is an interesting guy, but he hasn’t had any involvement in hockey in like 6 years.  He is on the board of directors of an EPL football team.  Would he even be interested?

26 minutes ago, MillerVaive said:

Also with Rikard Grönborg  hiring him would make some sense since we've been stockpiling Swedes here. Plus I've read that he is really good at developing relationships & getting the most out of his players. Not only evaluating the talent of his teams himself but asking the players to evaluate themselves individually & as a group.

And just look at that photo of him above. He shows more of a commanding presence in that 1 image than what I've seen all year from PH.

Whoever it is, JBots better not screw this one up & do whatever it takes to bring his top candidate in here.

The main concern with Grönborg is that the teams he has coached were composed of Swedish All Stars, with the exception of the 2018 Olympic Team

24 minutes ago, Curtisp5286 said:

Kruger is an interesting guy, but he hasn’t had any involvement in hockey in like 6 years.  He is on the board of directors of an EPL football team.  Would he even be interested?

They are being regulated this year and the reports are he is interested in a management position. In the NHL

I hope this process moves quickly, and I think it will.

Especially if we are going to get a very experienced, veteran coach (my hope), it is important to get him in here as quickly as possible as he should have a hand in rebuilding the team this off-season.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, TrueBlueGED said:

The only veterans we had in critical positions were Hutton, Skinner and maybe Bogosian.

Risto etc might not be kids anymore, but 24 and known nothing but losing does not equal veteran savvy to me.

2 minutes ago, Scottysabres said:

I firmly believe trots should be our coach.

Bryan Trottier?

• Haha (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Hoss said:

He won as many playoff games in three seasons with the Wild as they did the season before he got there (2).

The Ducks won the same before and after him (they've gotten much worse now but they had three straight playoff seasons after he left).

He did take the Caps to new ground (a decade ago) when they were sputtering but never got over the hump. The team continued at the same pace he had them for several years after he left before breaking through.

Not convinced he's having a major impact anywhere he goes.

Very impressive regular season records, very unimpressive playoff records.

1 hour ago, Ducky said:

McLellan, Tippett or Ralph Kruger? 

Dark horse...Hawerchuk?

I think Tippet is going to Seattle, i believe he is working with the owners now. Hawerchuk has a very good reputation as a head coach. Would be an interesting choice.