NEXT COACH should be? mega thread ...

Zamboni

My pick is Benoit Groulx. He's doing a good job with the Syracuse Crunch for the past three seasons, had a ton of success in the CHL making it to the memorial cup twice and also was the head coach of the 2015 WJC champion Canada (Reinhart was on that team).

• Like (+1) 2

Just now, Briere48 said:

My pick is Benoit Groulx. He's doing a good job with the Syracuse Crunch for the past three seasons, had a ton of success in the CHL making it to the memorial cup twice and also was the head coach of the 2015 WJC champion Canada (Reinhart was on that team).

Out of left field I like it. Good suggestion 

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Carmel Corn said:

"If" he gets fired....Bruce Boudreau.  The man knows how to win and has done so on multiple teams.  Strong track record of winning with multiple types of player rosters, meaning he can adapt the style to the players he has to work with.

He won as many playoff games in three seasons with the Wild as they did the season before he got there (2).

The Ducks won the same before and after him (they've gotten much worse now but they had three straight playoff seasons after he left).

He did take the Caps to new ground (a decade ago) when they were sputtering but never got over the hump. The team continued at the same pace he had them for several years after he left before breaking through.

Not convinced he's having a major impact anywhere he goes.

• Like (+1) 2

History shows that coaches who win Cups have some NHL HC experience on one or two previous jobs, often lead those teams into the playoffs, but ultimately failed.  Disco Dan is the exception here.

However, history also shows that coaches who win Cups never win another with a different franchise, except Bowman.  

Find me a coach that fits that description and I’ll be interested.  Therefore no Quennenville

Edited by GASabresIUFAN

8 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

History shows that coaches who win Cups have some NHL HC experience on one or two previous jobs, often lead those teams into the playoffs, but ultimately failed.  Disco Dan is the exception here.

However, history also shows that coaches who win Cups never win another with a different franchise, except Bowman.  

Find me a coach that fits that description and I’ll be interested.  Therefore no Quennenville

Bruce Boudreau, Alain Vigneault, Todd McLellan, Todd Nelson.  I’m sure there are more.

31 minutes ago, Andrew Amerk said:

Rikard Grönborg.

I dont want him because he has never ever coached a high level team in any league.  He only coaches in short tournaments.

22 minutes ago, Zamboni said:

Why do you want him? Explain ...

I’m not going to attempt to win anyone over on going with him, it’s just my personal preference. 

I’m not interested in NHL coaching retreads (Vignault, Boudreau, Tortorella, etc etc), AHL coaches with no NHL coaching experience (Taylor, Keefe), blasts from the past (Nolan, Ruff), or ex-Sabres (Boughner). 

It just seems time to think outside the box, which Grönborg fits. It’s not a matter of if he will become an NHL HC, but when. Teams were already kicking the tires prior to this season when there was a million HC openings, including the Sabres trying to bring him in on some capacity. His contract with Sweden is just ending. 

@Curtisp5286 Boudreau, Vigneault and McLellan all fit, except Boudreau and Vigneault have failed at 3 previous job.  Nelson should be an NHL chance, but as he has never coached in the NHL, he doesn't fit the description.  I'd also rule out McLellan, although I think he is a good coach, he just failed in a very similar situation in Edm that we have in Buffalo.

I'm ok with Vigneault, but Boudreau would be my choice if he becomes available.  He has shown the ability to build team, improve defensive play and made the playoff 10 or 12 years.  

Edited by GASabresIUFAN

1 minute ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Boudreau, Vigneault and McLellan all fit, except Boudreau and Vigneault have failed at 3 previous job.  Nelson should be an NHL chance, but as he has never coached in the NHL, he doesn't fit the description.

Nelson coached Edmonton for half a season, so a little NHL experience.

If JB hires a “younger” coach, then JB should have veto power over who the coach hires as his assistants. He needs to surround himself with a TON of NHL winning experience and wisdom.

Edited by Zamboni
  • Like (+1) 1