Per Botterill: Sabres have relieved Phil Housley of his Coaching Duties

Brawndo

14 minutes ago, WildCard said:

B) Cycle it around and take it to the slot

Why is that so hard? I see all of these other teams with great passes and opportunities in the slot, and I haven't seen us do that since 2011

You haven't seen Reinhart's last two goals?

1 minute ago, WildCard said:

So we're now in a division with Claude Julien, Bruce Cassidy, Mike Babcock, John Cooper, and Joel Quennenville

***** awesome

All the more reason it was imperative to move on from Housley in search of someone better, even if you thought Housley *might* be okay with the right roster. We can't be playing checkers while everyone else (other than Ottawa) plays chess.

17 minutes ago, WildCard said:

Is he the guy that tried to neuter Ovechkin though? I feel like he essentially plays a very rigid defensive system, that's why he can win anywhere. Basically a poor man's Hitch

Toronto will let us have him for free in two weeks

List of his teams’ league rankings in goals for.  He was the coach of Washington way back when the knock was that they played no defense(Ovi, Semin, Green)

Wild: 28th, 11th, 2nd

Ducks: 18th, 10th, 2nd, 7th

Caps: 19th, 1st, 3rd, 8th

• Thanks (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, gris said:

Does "relieved of duties" mean totally fired? Or does he remain employed by PSE in some other respect?

Sorry if the question seems elementary.

Well he still has a contract, doesn't he?  (I was looking for his length of contract earlier and didn't find it.)  If his contract is over, he's done.

11 minutes ago, WildCard said:

We don't do that consistently though

"...and I haven't seen us do that since 2011."

And with that I will admit to pedantry and cede the floor to Mr. Card.

5 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

Surprised it went so fast though, didn't even have player exit interviews.

4 minutes ago, Ross Rhea said:

Yeah me too, JBots must have made his mind up awhile ago.

...or JBot wanted to squash any "Jack is a coach killer" rumors.

1 minute ago, Doohickie said:

Well he still has a contract, doesn't he?  (I was looking for his length of contract earlier and didn't find it.)  If his contract is over, he's done.

Unless someone can refute this ...

Nowadays as soon as a head coach is hired, the moment he become the NHL teams head coach, he’s guaranteed his full salary, even if he gets fired ¼, ⅓, ½, ¾, thru his “contract”.

So IF his contract is a three year deal for this example, then yes, Housley will get paid next season by the Sabres. Even if he gets another job. It’s guaranteed money. 

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.