Sign in to follow this  
Brawndo

Per Botterill: Sabres have relieved Phil Housley of his Coaching Duties

1 minute ago, PerreaultForever said:

Torts might not if Columbus goes out again in round 1, which is likely. 

If Torts can win two rounds and the bLues can’t That gives us pick 19.

1 hour ago, Doohickie said:

That's my point:  The media department wouldn't have known.  And frankly when I've been at companies where they're letting people go, they try to keep the facade of normalcy right up until the hammer falls.

true.

• Like (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, klos1963 said:

Who was his goalie?  On his 2nd stint, how did he get more from less? we stunk. If this is a joke post, which it should be,  i apologize.

I'm sorry.  I thought anything that included this particular picture of Teds Nolan was automatically assumed to be satire.

6 hours ago, darksabre said:

Well, there it is.

Clearly Botterill thinks the roster is better than the results. 

The team was 16-33-8 after the streak, which is an 82 game pace of 57 points.  That is an intentional level of tanking point total.  Just about any NHL roster that isn't intentionally or historically bad is better than those results.

Housley isn't the only party to blame.  The roster wasn't good, which is on management, but it was better than 16-33-8 with no signs of improvement, which is on the coach.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Let's Go B-Lo said:

I'm sorry.  I thought anything that included this particular picture of Teds Nolan was automatically assumed to be satire.

No, I'm sorry. There are still people that think Tebow should be in the NFL so it's just so hard to know these days.

9 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

Torts might not if Columbus goes out again in round 1, which is likely. 

Press conferences would certainly become more entertaining.

• Haha (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Let's Go B-Lo said:

Press conferences would certainly become more entertaining.

no question

so would games against the rags

3 minutes ago, klos1963 said:

No, I'm sorry. There are still people that think Tebow should be in the NFL so it's just so hard to know these days.

People do tend to believe some pretty silly things these days, like the world is round, that we sent men to the moon, that vaccines are good for you, that the government doesn't spread chem trails around the upper atmosphere. Up is down, down is up.  How can anyone make sense of this insanity?

I amended my profile to help clear up any future confusion. Hope it helps.

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, Brawndo said:

Per Sabres 

Housley breathes huge sigh of relief.I predict he leads a team to a stanley cup win within 3 yrs.

6 minutes ago, calti said:

Housley breathes huge sigh of relief.I predict he leads a team to a stanley cup win within 3 yrs.

In NHL 93, with the offsides turned off.

• Like (+1) 1

49 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Maybe he’ll come over as an assistant when they hire AV.

I don’t think they get Q and I think AV will slide in through a good team canada experience.

i  expect positive comments about Reinhart, Skinner and Montour out of Bratislava within a month.

Yep. Said this exact thing last week. If AV gets hired, definitely a good chance Lindy comes here as asst if he wants to. 

So obviously our next head coach needs to come in and save us all from mediocrity. And probably play both defense, and goalie and probably second line center.

Is Jesus available? I heard he could walk on water...

I've liked most of JBotts moves, but the O'Reilly trade still has me shaking my head. If he can re-sign Skinner without handicapping our salary cap, I think we're moving in the right direction despite the way this season ended. I like what's happening in Rochester from the little I've been following it. If we don't see real improvement (either finally make the playoffs or just missing out in last few days of the season) I'd expect he'd get fired, but I can never tell what the hell the ownership is thinking.

I don't know what's going to finally fix things. Is it the ownership? Is it because fans have become so jaded they'll blame the good players like Eichel or Dalin or say how Reinhardt didn't do enough?

Something had to change. They way this team played down the stretch, there was no way they could keep Housley. I'm not sure who can fix things, but at this point we could do a lot worse than Lindy Ruff. He's changed his system multiple times over the years to fit the players he's had, and that's the kind of coach we need right now. I don't want someone with a killer system. I want someone who take what he's given and make the playoffs.

In the meantime JBotts has a lot of work to do this offseason if he hopes to keep his job..

1 hour ago, apuszczalowski said:

Your assuming that Botts and the Sabres are/were interested in Quenville.....

True.

22 minutes ago, Billznut said:

Yep. Said this exact thing last week. If AV gets hired, definitely a good chance Lindy comes here as asst if he wants to. 

Does Lindy still live in Buffalo?

1 minute ago, Ross Rhea said:

Does Lindy still live in Buffalo?

I know he did for awhile after being fired. Not sure if he still does though.

46 minutes ago, Billznut said:

How often has that happened?  A guy who has been head coach for a team comes back a few years later as an assistant?  If my current employer fires me, I'd have to be on the brink of starvation to ever consider coming back in a lesser role, and I still don't think I'd do it.  I'm can say with a degree of certainty that Lindy isn't starving. 

2 hours ago, Let's Go B-Lo said:

Bright Side Nolan - Getting more from less? I got 91 points out of Jason Dawe and Matt Barnaby. Then I coached Latvia

Let's not regress to stupid.

3 hours ago, klos1963 said:

Where does winning 3 cups fall into that definition?  It's really hard to argue that Quenneville isn't one of the most successful coachs in NHL history.  Getting more out of less shouldn't be a gauge, winning is. And who determines what less is? Maybe they were just underestimated, something that happens all the time.

It's really hard to not spell "coaches" correctly. How do you screw that up? 

And are you kidding me?  The guy fell into the perfect team at the perfect time.

2 hours ago, Weave said:

It's not a de facto exclude.  This team lacks experience, especially experience with what it takes to win at this level.

Bylsma didn't. He was bad, too. I'm not against hiring an experienced coach, but to say experience matters so much that you'd just say no to a stellar up and comer is really the wrong way to go about it. 

Teams are about to get a treasure trove of information with player tracking. I want a coach who can understand it and exploit it to his team's advantage. I want someone who understands the NHL in 2019, not 2009. And so on. 

• Like (+1) 1

I'm a little tired of the Nolan hate. I know most of us who liked him only suggest him jokingly, but there's no denying that players like him and work really hard for him. It might not be a sustainable way to coach a hockey team, but it works in the short term and that shouldn't be discounted. He's a motivator if nothing else. 

• Like (+1) 5

2 minutes ago, darksabre said:

I'm a little tired of the Nolan hate. I know most of us who liked him only suggest him jokingly, but there's no denying that players like him and work really hard for him. It might not be a sustainable way to coach a hockey team, but it works in the short term and that shouldn't be discounted. He's a motivator if nothing else. 

So hire him as an assistant..  He's no better than a motivator and we both know that.

Been traveling all day.  The firing was no surprise.  Did JBot have a presser?  If so, did he indicate he had a plan for the next coach?

4 minutes ago, darksabre said:

The grinders love him. There's no evidence the high skill players that actually win games love him. 

• Like (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, TrueBlueGED said:

The grinders love him. There's no evidence the high skill players that actually win games love him. 

Barnaby was probably all about Nolan.