Per Botterill: Sabres have relieved Phil Housley of his Coaching Duties

Brawndo

Just now, LGR4GM said:

It was a racist use of words but let's move on. 

I think Phil being gone will help the defense most. His seemed to not explain or teach the defensive zone properly for the players he had. You can't force guys to do things they can't. You either have to teach them to do it, or do something else. 

..well i think an actual racist is different than someone who just says something incredibly stupid. 

re your hockey comments I agree with you. The D this year was frighteningly weak..And the offense wasnt capable of doing what he taught ..OR he didnt coach them properly.

8 minutes ago, Zamboni said:

As long as everything isn’t looked at thru the narrow prism of race.,.. yes 

can we please move on?

No,  apparently we can't because there's a lack of understanding why you simply don't do that. Why it is racist. There's almost 2 centuries of racism comparing African Americans to apes or chimps or monkeys. It was used to help justify slavery and used to treat them as second class citizens after. 

Edited by LGR4GM

16 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

No,  apparently we can't because there's a lack of understanding why you simply don't do that. Why it is racist. There's almost 2 centuries of racism comparing African Americans to apes or chimps or monkeys. It was used to help justify slavery and used to treat them as second class citizens after. 

And if one looks at a race of a person and compares it to an animal, and  sees racism no matter the context or true intent, than that’s a narrow prism and ignorant.

Granted, that’s not always the case. Sometimes it’s flat out intended racism. 

And by no means am I defending what she said. I just asked for clarity on what she said and the context.

Can we please move on or do you want to go back n forth on this all night?

2 minutes ago, Zamboni said:

And if one looks at a race of a person and compares it to an animal, and  sees racism no matter the context or true intent, than that’s a narrow prism and ignorant.

Granted, that’s not always the case. Sometimes it’s flat out intended racism. 

And by no means am I defending what she said. I just asked for clarity on what she said and the context.

Can we please move on or do you want to go back n forth on this all night?

Okay, but just to be clear, Karin Housley is a racist. 

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

29 minutes ago, Zamboni said:

To be clear, that’s your opinion. I don’t know what’s in her heart. She could very well be. Are there other examples or is this a one off by her?

I think darksabre was just goofing when he made that statement. Cuz everything is racist now.

8 hours ago, Derrico said:

I think this is a whole different point.  I completely agree you need good goaltending.  Until we get that this team isn't going anywhere regardless of who coaches.  I could see a quick turnaround and playoffs but we're not a real contender until we figure out what's going on in net.  I would still want AV even with what we have and hope Ullmark makes a big jump next year or Botts can find a way to figure it out.  Again, that will be an issue with any coach we hire.

See, I don't think it's a different point. 

8 hours ago, darksabre said:

Have any coaches on the prospect list won with average goaltending? I don't think we can simply reduce this to the Hasek/Nolan comparable.

It wasn't my intent to reduce it to that. It was an honest question that I really just wonder about. It's not that he's had goaltending, it's that he's had two HoF goaltenders. It's not like he was winning with the Martin Jones's of the world. 

8 hours ago, dudacek said:

I would build a system around Lundqvist too if I had that roster.

Can any coach win in 2019 with Hutton and Ullmark? That’s a fair question to ask.

Separately, McLellan and AV are both in their 50s.They are similar vintage to Babcock and Boudreau and younger than Quenville. They have similar records to those three.

Why should we think the game has passed them by, but not the other guys?

Was it a case of maximizing his team's strengths or was it simply Lundqvist saving his bacon? I've read a lot of the latter. As always, disentangling it is hard.

On the age thing, I just think it's often a red herring with coaches. Bill Belichick is one of the oldest coaches in the NFL, while McDermott is one of the younger ones. Which guy is more old school? I know some people hate cross-sport comparisons, but that was the best example I could come up with.

35 minutes ago, WildCard said:

Nobody cares

This may not be the thread for it, but people definitely care. And more should care than do.

2 hours ago, TrueBlueGED said:

On the age thing, I just think it's often a red herring with coaches. Bill Belichick is one of the oldest coaches in the NFL, while McDermott is one of the younger ones. Which guy is more old school? I know some people hate cross-sport comparisons, but that was the best example I could come up with.

I agree.

I can’t speak to McLellan very well, but living out here in Canuckland I was very familiar with Vigneault. He never once struck me as a dinosaur, certainly not in the Randy Carlyle sense. He took two good-but-not elite teams in difficult markets to the finals, lost to teams that were a little bit better and was fired when age caught up to core. Both teams got worse after he left.

I’d appreciate some insight as to where the game has passed him by - and McLellan for that matter. They both strike me as leaders whose teams play with structure and they have a history of getting what they can from the talent provided.

• Like (+1) 2

9 hours ago, dudacek said:

I agree.

I can’t speak to McLellan very well, but living out here in Canuckland I was very familiar with Vigneault. He never once struck me as a dinosaur, certainly not in the Randy Carlyle sense. He took two good-but-not elite teams in difficult markets to the finals, lost to teams that were a little bit better and was fired when age caught up to core. Both teams got worse after he left.

I’d appreciate some insight as to where the game has passed him by - and McLellan for that matter. They both strike me as leaders whose teams play with structure and they have a history of getting what they can from the talent provided.

Isn't Vigneault one of the guys that has a looser country club type feel to his locker room?  I feel like this team could use someone a bit tougher than that.

3 hours ago, PASabreFan said:

Nice. Bland. Disconnected — only the Pegulas gave him an opportunity to coach. Housley.

Jeez.  The guy failed at his dream job and has been publicly humiliated.  He says something nice and appreciative on his way out -- is it necessary to take shots at him like this?

• Thanks (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.