Per Botterill: Sabres have relieved Phil Housley of his Coaching Duties

Brawndo

6 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Oh, he’s a good coach and seems exactly the type to fix what ailed this team this year.

Another thing with Q...has he ever had a team that underachieved? Maybe Eleven is right and he can't get more out of his teams than they are capable of (which I disagree with because I still don't know how they won that 3rd Cup), but he also doesn't get less. That's not nothin'.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, TrueBlueGED said:

Another thing with Q...has he ever had a team that underachieved? Maybe Eleven is right and he can't get more out of his teams than they are capable of (which I disagree with because I still don't know how they won that 3rd Cup), but he also doesn't get less. That's not nothin'.

Never. Held the Hawks up longer than the talent justified.

He will get what they have and next year that should be enough to make the playoffs. (If we get decent goaltending)

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, dudacek said:

Never. Held the Hawks up longer than the talent justified.

He will get what they have and next year that should be enough to make the playoffs. (If we get decent goaltending)

The goaltending, that is the key dudacek. Your are very right to point that out. I am concerned with it. The young kid is a ways away yet, hopefully he turns out, but what we have currently, it concerns me. Good post.

Just now, Scottysabres said:

The goaltending, that is the key dudacek. Your are very right to point that out. I am concerned with it. The young kid is a ways away yet, hopefully he turns out, but what we have currently, it concerns me. Good post.

I have no confidence in either Hutton or Ullmark to be NHL starters. However, Lehner falling off a cliff in the Bylsma to Housley transition then finding redemption in the Housley to Trotz transition gives me hope a different coach will help. 

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, TrueBlueGED said:

First, I was a Ruff fan, just didn't think he was the right guy to run a rebuild. Anyway, he did not consistently make deep playoff runs without all-star talent. Can you name a head coach in the last 5 years who has consistently gone deep without talent that you think would justify it?

He went to the conference final one year and the final the next with 1 all-star and a bunch of hard workers.

• Like (+1) 1

35 minutes ago, TrueBlueGED said:

A lot of players don't sign new contracts in February and still stay in the same place. This isn't unusual. I don't think it's automatic he stays, but I'm not using the calendar to cause panic for myself either. We're an attractive spot for him to be. 

At this point there’s no reason for him not to wait until July 1st comes and see which team offers him the most. I expect that’s what will happen. 

3 minutes ago, TrueBlueGED said:

I have no confidence in either Hutton or Ullmark to be NHL starters. However, Lehner falling off a cliff in the Bylsma to Housley transition then finding redemption in the Housley to Trotz transition gives me hope a different coach will help. 

Lehner was either hungover or drunk while in net here...nothing to do with coaching.  You wouldn't believe the stories if i told you.

• Like (+1) 2

Just now, TrueBlueGED said:

Two decades ago! With Hasek! 

And then he went to the final 4 twice more 5 years later without him.  And NO all-stars, not real ones anyway ... I can't remember who the Sabres sent then.  It may have been Briere?

Ruff is a good coach that always got the most out of his players.

1 minute ago, New Scotland (NS) said:

And then he went to the final 4 twice more 5 years later without him.  And NO all-stars, not real ones anyway ... I can't remember who the Sabres sent then.  It may have been Briere?

Ruff is a good coach that always got the most out of his players.

Miller and Campbell weren't real all-stars? Nonsense. 

Ruff was a good coach. I'm not disagreeing. I'm fighting back against this fantasy that he regularly got more out his teams than talent would dictate. Those 05-07 teams were crazy deep and constructed perfectly to take advantage of the rule changes. 

• Like (+1) 1

25 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

Both John Shannon and Darren Dreger tweeted that a Quenneville Hiring by Florida could be announced as early as tomorrow 

Translation: Dale Tallon hopes to close quickly now that he has completion. 

As an aside, this is why you make a move on Housley sooner than the last game of the season. So you don't miss out on the big fish. 

• Like (+1) 1

My takeaways from the Botterill presser:

-He wasn't satisfied with player development. I think he expected more growth from guys like Mitts, Thompson, Ullmark, Pilut. Also expected guys like Eichel and Reinhart to continue developing.

-Not happy with repeated mistakes from younger players and vets. Sounds like he didn't think the coaching staff was doing enough corrective work.

-Acknowledged that the roster wasn't good enough. But I don't think he sees that as an excuse for the failures that weren't roster related.

-Really happy with Rochester and Cincinnati. 

Edit: 

I want to add that it seems like he felt the coaches didn't have the experience to solve the problems they were facing. So take that as a hint for what might be coming: a coach who has seen a lot and done a lot, and who might be more focused on individual players than team systems.

Edited by darksabre
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, TrueBlueGED said:

Translation: Dale Tallon hopes to close quickly now that he has completion. 

As an aside, this is why you make a move on Housley sooner than the last game of the season. So you don't miss out on the big fish. 

Other than interim coaches, I don’t recall many permanent (outside) hires of coaches coming on to fill in the last quarter of a season. Especially of a team that’s eliminated. If it’s done, it’s usually because the season is still salvageable.

7 minutes ago, Die Hard said:

Other than interim coaches, I don’t recall many permanent (outside) hires of coaches coming on to fill in the last quarter of a season. Especially of a team that’s eliminated. If it’s done, it’s usually because the season is still salvageable.

I'm not suggesting hiring someone. I'm suggesting that if the decision was made sooner we'd have gotten the same jump in finding a replacement that Florida did. 

1 minute ago, New Guy said:

The next HC will decide who stays and goes

Spoiler alert: they're all going. 

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, TrueBlueGED said:

I'm not suggesting hiring someone. I'm suggesting that if the decision was made sooner we'd have gotten the same jump in finding a replacement that Florida did.

I thought Boughner and Housley were fired hours apart?

Edited by Die Hard

10 minutes ago, TrueBlueGED said:

A good GM should always have a short list and have contact with available coaches...Plus Boughner was just fired as well

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.