Jump to content
Brawndo

2019 Stanley Cup Playoffs First Round

Recommended Posts

I believe the #1 seed wins about 25% of the time (I looked it up a while ago).  It's like the lottery:  the team that finishes #1 has the greatest likelihood of winning it all, but there's still a statistical distribution.  I know when I lived in Detroit in the 1990s, there was a superstitious belief that even touching the President's Trophy was bad luck, so the players didn't even accept the trophy.  They posed with it, but wouldn't touch it.

  • Like (+1) 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Doohickie said:

I believe the #1 seed wins about 25% of the time (I looked it up a while ago).  It's like the lottery:  the team that finishes #1 has the greatest likelihood of winning it all, but there's still a statistical distribution.  I know when I lived in Detroit in the 1990s, there was a superstitious belief that even touching the President's Trophy was bad luck, so the players didn't even accept the trophy.  They posed with it, but wouldn't touch it.

Same with the Conference championship trophies; the players would never touch those for superstitious fear it would somehow hurt their ability to touch the real prize, the Cup.

Although in the last few years I have seen players celebrate a little with the POW Trophy or the Campbell Bowl more than in the past.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I feel like I can't be disappointed in the Leafs-Bruins series. Either team loses I'll be happy.

Edited by PromoTheRobot

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Doohickie said:

I believe the #1 seed wins about 25% of the time (I looked it up a while ago).  It's like the lottery:  the team that finishes #1 has the greatest likelihood of winning it all, but there's still a statistical distribution.  I know when I lived in Detroit in the 1990s, there was a superstitious belief that even touching the President's Trophy was bad luck, so the players didn't even accept the trophy.  They posed with it, but wouldn't touch it.

I forget, it's either 8 of the last 24 or 8 of the last 32 President's Trophy winners have gone on to win the Cup. 

After seeing Tampa lose last night, I think it would be great to see Torts beat his old team. 

  • Haha (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, freester said:

Can we offer sheet Marner??

Realistically could we afford him? Offer sheeting him would cost us four 1st round picks.

And, that's on top of paying him the 10.5M/year he wants.

I think it's much more likely he takes a bridge deal and hits UFA sooner

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Urghh. I want to see the Sabres in these games. So much.

  • Like (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, WildCard said:

Realistically could we afford him? Offer sheeting him would cost us four 1st round picks.

And, that's on top of paying him the 10.5M/year he wants.

I think it's much more likely he takes a bridge deal and hits UFA sooner

Toronto will match any offer

But a 5 year 11.5 Million AAV, would ***** their cap royally. 

No GM will offer sheet anyone unfortunately.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Gatorman0519 said:

Toronto waxed the Bruins tonight. 

With the idiot Marchand, Watch what the Bruins come back and start doing next game ...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am rooting for all the non Canadian based teams first then I want Boston and Pittsburgh to lose. 

  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Zamboni said:

Glad Caps won

 

 

The Calgary/Colorado game is intense and fast!

I like the pbp  guy 👍🏻

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, spndnchz said:

I like the pbp  guy 👍🏻

Game 1 Matchup Play-by-Play Analysts
CBJ-TBL John Forslund Pierre McGuire
PIT-NYI Kenny Albert AJ Mleczko, Brian Boucher
STL-WPG Dave Randorf Louie DeBrusk, Scott Oake
DAL-NSH Chris Cuthbert Joe Micheletti
VGK-SJS Alex Faust Mike Johnson
TOR-BOS Mike “Doc” Emrick Mike Milbury, Brian Boucher
CAR-WSH Brendan Burke Pierre McGuire
COL-CGY Gord Miller
  • Thanks (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, freester said:

Can we offer sheet Marner??

A more realistic alternative might be to make an offer for Kapanen or another guy the Leafs won't be able to pay because of the contract Marner will demand.

  • Like (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Zamboni said:
Game 1 Matchup Play-by-Play Analysts
CBJ-TBL John Forslund Pierre McGuire
PIT-NYI Kenny Albert AJ Mleczko, Brian Boucher
STL-WPG Dave Randorf Louie DeBrusk, Scott Oake
DAL-NSH Chris Cuthbert Joe Micheletti
VGK-SJS Alex Faust Mike Johnson
TOR-BOS Mike “Doc” Emrick Mike Milbury, Brian Boucher
CAR-WSH Brendan Burke Pierre McGuire
COL-CGY Gord Miller

Think I have CBC feed 

Just always meant “playoffs!” To me

Burke on ‘to the point’

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Mike Smith playing out of his mind in CGY.

  • Like (+1) 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, NAF said:

A more realistic alternative might be to make an offer for Kapanen or another guy the Leafs won't be able to pay because of the contract Marner will demand.

“Realistic” ... “and offer sheet” aren’t a good match to use in the same sentence.

ill go out on a stable limb here and say there won’t be one (or more) offer sheet the entire off season.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I swear if I see that SloMo commercial and hear that guy say "You cant get a worse..." One more time I am going to through something through the TV...so annoying.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nice win by Calgary.

Calgary took advantage of their opportunities. 

Colorado could not.

And Mike Smith was a wall ... 

 

JitteryFavoriteAsiaticmouflon-max-1mb.gi

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...