2019 Stanley Cup Playoffs First Round

Brawndo

I believe the #1 seed wins about 25% of the time (I looked it up a while ago).  It's like the lottery:  the team that finishes #1 has the greatest likelihood of winning it all, but there's still a statistical distribution.  I know when I lived in Detroit in the 1990s, there was a superstitious belief that even touching the President's Trophy was bad luck, so the players didn't even accept the trophy.  They posed with it, but wouldn't touch it.

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Doohickie said:

I believe the #1 seed wins about 25% of the time (I looked it up a while ago).  It's like the lottery:  the team that finishes #1 has the greatest likelihood of winning it all, but there's still a statistical distribution.  I know when I lived in Detroit in the 1990s, there was a superstitious belief that even touching the President's Trophy was bad luck, so the players didn't even accept the trophy.  They posed with it, but wouldn't touch it.

Same with the Conference championship trophies; the players would never touch those for superstitious fear it would somehow hurt their ability to touch the real prize, the Cup.

Although in the last few years I have seen players celebrate a little with the POW Trophy or the Campbell Bowl more than in the past.

7 hours ago, Doohickie said:

I forget, it's either 8 of the last 24 or 8 of the last 32 President's Trophy winners have gone on to win the Cup. 

After seeing Tampa lose last night, I think it would be great to see Torts beat his old team. 

• Haha (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, freester said:

Can we offer sheet Marner??

Realistically could we afford him? Offer sheeting him would cost us four 1st round picks.

And, that's on top of paying him the 10.5M/year he wants.

I think it's much more likely he takes a bridge deal and hits UFA sooner

15 minutes ago, WildCard said:

Realistically could we afford him? Offer sheeting him would cost us four 1st round picks.

And, that's on top of paying him the 10.5M/year he wants.

I think it's much more likely he takes a bridge deal and hits UFA sooner

Toronto will match any offer

But a 5 year 11.5 Million AAV, would ***** their cap royally. 

No GM will offer sheet anyone unfortunately.

5 minutes ago, spndnchz said:

I like the pbp  guy ??

Game 1 Matchup Play-by-Play Analysts
CBJ-TBL John Forslund Pierre McGuire
PIT-NYI Kenny Albert AJ Mleczko, Brian Boucher
STL-WPG Dave Randorf Louie DeBrusk, Scott Oake
DAL-NSH Chris Cuthbert Joe Micheletti
VGK-SJS Alex Faust Mike Johnson
TOR-BOS Mike “Doc” Emrick Mike Milbury, Brian Boucher
CAR-WSH Brendan Burke Pierre McGuire
COL-CGY Gord Miller
  • Thanks (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, Zamboni said:
Game 1 Matchup Play-by-Play Analysts
CBJ-TBL John Forslund Pierre McGuire
PIT-NYI Kenny Albert AJ Mleczko, Brian Boucher
STL-WPG Dave Randorf Louie DeBrusk, Scott Oake
DAL-NSH Chris Cuthbert Joe Micheletti
VGK-SJS Alex Faust Mike Johnson
TOR-BOS Mike “Doc” Emrick Mike Milbury, Brian Boucher
CAR-WSH Brendan Burke Pierre McGuire
COL-CGY Gord Miller

Think I have CBC feed 

Just always meant “playoffs!” To me

Burke on ‘to the point’

30 minutes ago, NAF said:

A more realistic alternative might be to make an offer for Kapanen or another guy the Leafs won't be able to pay because of the contract Marner will demand.

“Realistic” ... “and offer sheet” aren’t a good match to use in the same sentence.

ill go out on a stable limb here and say there won’t be one (or more) offer sheet the entire off season.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.