2019 Stanley Cup Playoffs First Round

Brawndo

2 minutes ago, Hoss said:

Everyone thought Tampa would wipe the floor with Columbus. Not many people believed in the Isles. Dallas wasn’t expected to make much noise vs Nashville. Colorado has made it hard on Calgary.

The Sabres first task is to be good enough to get in. Once you’re in anything can happen.

which is proving to be extremely difficult....but you're right about just getting in.....playoffs are such a big step up from regular season...really miss going to those games

Todd Angilly has been knocking it out of the ballpark! Not sure of the date on this link, but he leaves the arena and goes right back to his bartending job. 

https://www.bardown.com/bruins-anthem-singer-finalist-had-to-hurry-back-to-bartending-job-after-singing-home-opener-1.1188294

Just a reminder of what Jarmo Kekalainen did in Columbus.

https://www.dispatch.com/sports/20190226/michael-arace--jackets-jarmo-kekalainen-rolls-dice-goes-all-in

https://www.dispatch.com/sports/20190223/michael-arace--jarmo-kekalainen-positions-blue-jackets-for-playoff-run

I haven't found, yet, a meaningful interview with the guy that gives any indication why he went this route and/or what type of info he relies on to find players he wants.  I'm very intrigued.

• Like (+1) 1

48 minutes ago, ... said:

Just a reminder of what Jarmo Kekalainen did in Columbus.

https://www.dispatch.com/sports/20190226/michael-arace--jackets-jarmo-kekalainen-rolls-dice-goes-all-in

https://www.dispatch.com/sports/20190223/michael-arace--jarmo-kekalainen-positions-blue-jackets-for-playoff-run

I haven't found, yet, a meaningful interview with the guy that gives any indication why he went this route and/or what type of info he relies on to find players he wants.  I'm very intrigued.

Where's the bar set for success on this one?  They're the talk of the town right now, but they've still got a very long way to go. 

1 hour ago, shrader said:

Where's the bar set for success on this one?  They're the talk of the town right now, but they've still got a very long way to go. 

For me, a second round.  If they put TB to bed, that's pretty amazing considering TB's record coming in.  If they go a second round, the skies the limit for the CBJ unless they start suffering too many injuries.  They're facing, ostensibly, their largest hurdle now.

1 hour ago, ... said:

For me, a second round.  If they put TB to bed, that's pretty amazing considering TB's record coming in.  If they go a second round, the skies the limit for the CBJ unless they start suffering too many injuries.  They're facing, ostensibly, their largest hurdle now.

For me it depends on both how they finish the playoffs and also who/if anyone they are able to res-sign.  If they have that mass exodus and only get to the second round?  That's not enough.  I'd say making it to the final at an absolute minimum IF they have that mass exodus.  There's a whole lot of ifs for this one.

17 minutes ago, shrader said:

For me it depends on both how they finish the playoffs and also who/if anyone they are able to res-sign.  If they have that mass exodus and only get to the second round?  That's not enough.  I'd say making it to the final at an absolute minimum IF they have that mass exodus.  There's a whole lot of ifs for this one.

See, I think if they beat TB, that goes a long way in convincing their UFAs to stay. Maybe not all, but most. There's always a money-grubbing loner.

20 minutes ago, TrueBlueGED said:

Same thing was said of the Islanders by fans, and then they lost their best player on top of that. And now look at them. 

I think the islanders show that coaching matters. They play a system to their strengths. I still think their goaltending will fall off but until that happens, ride the wave. 

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

I think the islanders show that coaching matters. They play a system to their strengths. I still think their goaltending will fall off but until that happens, ride the wave. 

Agreed on coaching.  Maybe Murray was right on Lehner; it'll be interesting to see how it plays out for him.

9 hours ago, TrueBlueGED said:

What? They won 2 Cups in the last 3 years. 

The overreaction right now really is something. 

Over-reaction?  They have always been soft and I don't like the way their team is put together.  Never have.

What they had was 2 of the top 5 players in the world.  When you have that, you're going to win a lot of games. 

LA also recently won 2 cups, in an entirely different manner playing an entirely different brand of hockey.  I would much prefer Buffalo to emulate them.

This isn't just about results, it's about entertainment!  

3 hours ago, Weave said:

Man, I LOVED seeing Kane agressively wade back in to that fight. We need some of that attitude.

That is actually about as good a fight as you're going to see in today's NHL.  

2 guys who know how to fight reasonably well engaging with the intention of actually throwing punches.

What I have noticed a lot of in these playoffs is big scrums after the whistle, with players pairing up, but then nothing happens and they start looking around, hoping the linesmen want to jump in before they might have to drop their gloves. LOL.

12 minutes ago, Kruppstahl said:

Over-reaction?  They have always been soft and I don't like the way their team is put together.  Never have.

What they had was 2 of the top 5 players in the world.  When you have that, you're going to win a lot of games. 

LA also recently won 2 cups, in an entirely different manner playing an entirely different brand of hockey.  I would much prefer Buffalo to emulate them.

This isn't just about results, it's about entertainment!  

I'm not entertained by a LA. They are slow. 

• Like (+1) 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.