2019 Stanley Cup Playoffs First Round

Brawndo

9 minutes ago, klos1963 said:

Did the Sabres know he had a problem? Just wondering why he is ok now , did we try to help him?

He thanked Jason Botterill for getting him the  help that he needed and for checking in on him quite frequently via phone throughout the  Summer

5 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

He thanked Jason Botterill for getting him the  help that he needed and for checking in on him quite frequently via phone throughout the  Summer

GMTM's hands-off approach to running the team was a bad situation for Lehner. I have no idea if he knew about Lehner's issues, but he certainly wasn't doing anything to help the guy. It's one of the many reasons he was fired.

I think if Botterill wouldn't have had to qualify him at +$4mil Lehner likely would have stayed and gotten the same help he got on the island. But the cost to undertake a reclamation project was too high. Much easier for the Islanders to roll the dice on Lehner at bargain pricing. 

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, darksabre said:

GMTM's hands-off approach to running the team was a bad situation for Lehner. I have no idea if he knew about Lehner's issues, but he certainly wasn't doing anything to help the guy. It's one of the many reasons he was fired.

I think if Botterill wouldn't have had to qualify him at +$4mil Lehner likely would have stayed and gotten the same help he got on the island. But the cost to undertake a reclamation project was too high. Much easier for the Islanders to roll the dice on Lehner at bargain pricing. 

Maybe that's what Jbott was talking about with Housley not communicating with his players last year. He mentioned that several times in his presser. 

5 hours ago, TrueBlueGED said:

You think Kadri’s hit is going to deter the Bruins from running Toronto players? 

BTW, I don't deny that teams still like to have guys who push back when liberties are taken. I just don't think there's any evidence that having those players actually prevents liberties from being taken. 

You’re the only one using the word deter.  Having a big guy like Chara on the ice did not deter Kadri from cross checking Debrusk in the face.  

The fact that Kadri is Kadri won’t deter Boston from playing their game, which is a physical.  In fact it will inspire them to hit more  

4 hours ago, PASabreFan said:

Of course there isn't. All those bad old days you don't probably remember where fighting was rampant — so was the vicious stickwork and other thuggery. It was never about deterrence.

A decent argument for a Response is that it's a proxy for how much your players care, about the team and each other. Team-building, to use a cliche.

Exactly.  It was never about deterrence but being able to respond and fight back is important.  Players have to know their teammate have their backs. 

Edited by Pimlach

4 hours ago, ... said:

So, a sober Lehner looks pretty good.  But the entire Islanders team is good.  Look for Penguins thuggery in the third.

Amazing that the Islanders can lose a great player like Taveras, sign a goalie at his crossroads, and then play like this.  

I look at their lineup and ours and I don’t see that they are any better?  But they play better. 

Coaching cannot be understated. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Pimlach said:

Amazing that the Islanders can lose a great player like Taveras, sign a goalie at his crossroads, and then play like this.  

I look at their lineup and ours and I don’t see that they are any better?  But they play better. 

Coaching cannot be understated. 

Their lineup is absolutely far superior to ours. Their talent was underestimated from the start.

• Like (+1) 1

You need a Seth Jones type defenseman... 2 disciplined Grinder lines and 2 skill lines... a good power play is a must ....discipline and toughness is the key to playoff hockey.  The fancy Ferrari’s  don’t work in the playoffs.  Columbus’ GMs calculated risk is paying huge dividends.  Genius.  

2 minutes ago, Gatorman0519 said:

You need a Seth Jones type defenseman... 2 disciplined Grinder lines and 2 skill lines... a good power play is a must ....discipline and toughness is the key to playoff hockey.  The fancy Ferrari’s  don’t work in the playoffs.  Columbus’ GMs calculated risk is paying huge dividends.  Genius.  

Goaltending too.  

• Like (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, Gatorman0519 said:

I'm pretty sure Chicago's pp was always at best average when they won theirs. And Tampa's is the best in... history?

6 minutes ago, Indabuff said:

Maybe it's me but I don't think the Sabres could handle the playoffs as they currently are.  These games are cutthroat fierce.

Barry Trotz:

"It starts with a care for each other. We get rid of all the me first. It's we instead of me. That's what we've talked about since day one of training camp."

This has been a problem for Buffalo.

• Like (+1) 2

16 minutes ago, Indabuff said:

Maybe it's me but I don't think the Sabres could handle the playoffs as they currently are.  These games are cutthroat fierce.

They are.  I have not seen a game yet that has not been intense.  

Jets hard work paid off as they scored 3 unanswered goals.  Jets playing desperate and  Buffylin running at everyone he can but Blues not backing away either.   

CBL hanging in there 2-1 

Who is everyone rooting for in the playoffs? Not only in the series but overall.

This is the order of my rooting interests this playoffs:

San Jose

Columbus

Nashville

Calgary

Vegas

Winnipeg

NY Islanders

Colorado

St. Louis

Tampa Bay

Washington

Dallas

Carolina

Pittsburgh

Toronto

Boston

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.