2019 Stanley Cup Playoffs First Round

Brawndo

A double OT Game 7 should have been a hell of a lot more exciting than that game actually was.

The first half of the game was all Washington and Carolina was waiting to be put out of their misery.

But when the kill shot never came, the Caps kept losing more and more interest in the game, or so it seemed. 

Even the crowd was not really that energized throughout; it just wasn't an exciting game to watch.

Looked like 2 dead hockey teams with no legs for both OT periods.

The moment it ended my first thought was "Wow, Carolina is easily the worst team still playing."

The caliber of that game last night was many notches below Vegas/SJ, who are both much better teams than either Washington or Carolina.

And on to the next round we go.

Looking forward to Columbus.

2 hours ago, PASabreFan said:

It wasn't silent. Every game I've watched in these playoffs, the crowds have been raucous. Not even sure why I'm tagged here. The arena in Buffalo has been a morgue for a long time. You might be the only person who disputes this. And that Lindy had to go. It's 2019. Can we refresh what we argue about?

How are you and I going to carry on our relationship if we don't look back to the simpler, more loving times, before little Liger was born?

10 hours ago, LTS said:

If the game gets close and the escalation occurs then you usually just utter the phrase "The next time I'm sending one of you."  In fact, I think I heard that mentioned on a broadcast recently.  It's a common thing to say.  In a tight game no one wants to be the guy who gives the opponent the power play.

There's the rub.  The game wasn't close and wasn't likely to get close (without the penalty), so it would have been open season for the Sharks.

• Haha (+1) 3

3 minutes ago, Eleven said:

How are you and I going to carry on our relationship if we don't look back to the simpler, more loving times, before little Liger was born?

There's the rub.  The game wasn't close and wasn't likely to get close (without the penalty), so it would have been open season for the Sharks.

I was born in the fires of Mt Doom. 

• Haha (+1) 2

First time ever in major sports history where all 4 division winners have been eliminated in the 1st round.

IMO not a good look for the NHL.

Was thinking about something randomly and wanted to get your insights and opinions:

Is it really fair that in a case of a a 8 seed vs a 1 seed and a 4 vs a 5 seed: The 5 and 8 seed can both have 3 home games in a 7 game series?

To enhance the regular season, when a team gets a 1 seed I would give that team more home games (Example: 6 home games for the 1 seed and 1 for the 8 seed), why should an 8 seed be given the same games as a 5?

Give more rewards to the top seed for having a great season

12 minutes ago, Swedesessed said:

First time ever in major sports history where all 4 division winners have been eliminated in the 1st round.

IMO not a good look for the NHL.

Was thinking about something randomly and wanted to get your insights and opinions:

Is it really fair that in a case of a a 8 seed vs a 1 seed and a 4 vs a 5 seed: The 5 and 8 seed can both have 3 home games in a 7 game series?

To enhance the regular season, when a team gets a 1 seed I would give that team more home games (Example: 6 home games for the 1 seed and 1 for the 8 seed), why should an 8 seed be given the same games as a 5?

Give more rewards to the top seed for having a great season

The talent gap is closer than we think. I love it as it makes things interesting unlike basketball or football.  

• Like (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, Gatorman0519 said:

The talent gap is closer than we think. I love it as it makes things interesting unlike basketball or football.  

29 minutes ago, Doohickie said:

I think it's *exactly* the look the NHL is looking for.  They've wanted parity for years.  Well now they've got it. 

I do agree that is what the league wants and that the talent gap is closer because of the hard cap (which I loathe by the way) but doesn't this kind of make the regular season look even more meaningless?

These leagues need to put more emphasis and importance on the regular season somehow and I think giving the highest seed more home games works toward accomplishing this.

Unless Boston or San Jose get the SCF, or if the league gets a Carolina vs Dallas final, I cringe at what the ratings will look like.

Edited by Swedesessed

45 minutes ago, Eleven said:

Agreed.  Like I said, without it being close you just start tossing everyone.  The message gets sent real quick.  Refs can lock a game down fast if they want to.

2 hours ago, PASabreFan said:

Raleigh hardly deserves the shade thrown at it. They have great fans.

They are great. All 6,429 of them. I think they're all part of the same Facebook group.

Didn't Buffalo fans manage to score tickets to Game 7 of the ECF in 2006 on a fairly last minute basis?

Having said those things: I do tire of this line of conversation. In North America, anyway, if a pro team is good, lots of fans will turn out and turn up. No matter the region.

The Buffalo region has very good hockey fans and a lot of them. They've been beaten down and had the life sucked out of them, lo, these past 8 years or so. If the local pro team suddenly became a 98-point-paced squad that played with obvious heart? This town would be upside down bonkers for them.

And the arena would be noisy. Except on those Tuesday games against Florida. No one gives a sh1t about those games.

Edited by That Aud Smell
  • Like (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, That Aud Smell said:

Didn't Buffalo fans manage to score tickets to Game 7 of the ECF in 2006 on a fairly last minute basis?

Yes.

Even better was when Sabres fans started chanting, "Let's Go, Buffalo!" and Mike Emrick tried to hide it by yelling over the fans into the microphone that it was, "Let's Go, Hurricanes."

• Like (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, Hoss said:

which wild card winner does everyone think has the best chance to make a run to the cup?

youve got columbus, carolina, colorado and dallas.

I think the only one that doesn't make the next step is the Avs.  The other three WCs will advance.

1 hour ago, That Aud Smell said:

They are great. All 6,429 of them. I think they're all part of the same Facebook group.

Having said those things: I do tire of this line of conversation. In North America, anyway, if a pro team is good, lots of fans will turn out and turn up. No matter the region.

The Buffalo region has very good hockey fans and a lot of them. They've been beaten down and had the life sucked out of them, lo, these past 8 years or so. If the local pro team suddenly became a 98-point-paced squad that played with obvious heart? This town would be upside down bonkers for them.

And the arena would be noisy. Except on those Tuesday games against Florida. No one gives a sh1t about those games.

It's easy to support a winner.  Where was all the love for the Sabres the last few years from the "true" fans?  (games where the KBC was half full of visiting team fans). That's when the team really needed the support.  (See Websters under "Fans, Fair Weather").  By the way, the arena in Raleigh looks pretty full (and raucous) so far in these playoffs.  Perhaps they caught the hockey bug since 2006...

15 minutes ago, Sabre Dance said:

It's easy to support a winner.  Where was all the love for the Sabres the last few years from the "true" fans?  (games where the KBC was half full of visiting team fans). That's when the team really needed the support.  (See Websters under "Fans, Fair Weather").  By the way, the arena in Raleigh looks pretty full (and raucous) so far in these playoffs.  Perhaps they caught the hockey bug since 2006...

KBC is never half full of visiting team fans unless it's the Habs or the Leaves, and it's been that way, rain or shine, forever.

1 hour ago, That Aud Smell said:

Do the canes have some great fans? Sure they do, I know some of them personally.  They've had season tickets throughout the whole 10 year no playoffs drought. Do they have a great NHL fan base as a whole? Absolutely not, in no way, shape or form. Fair weather fans at their finest.

I'm still not convinced that they dont pipe amplified crowd noise through the house PA either.

Edit to add that not only were game 7 ECF tickets there at the last minute, so were game 1 tickets to the friggin Stanley Cup finals hours before faceoff. 

Edited by Claude_Verret
  • Thanks (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, WildCard said:

Imagine if one of our guys pulled what Dougie Hamilton did in the playoffs to let up a goal

https://www.nbcsports.com/video/dougie-hamilton-play-was-turning-point-capitals-hurricanes-series

i saw this live. to be fair to hamilton he thought it was icing but it was because he’s an idiot. refs called it off quick and clearly.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.