2019 Stanley Cup Playoffs First Round

Brawndo

2 minutes ago, Hoss said:

i may someday find my way to california. maybe arizona.

study it well before making the move...if you do it right it could be blissfull...if not you could be making 200k a year and barely able to pay your bills and be stuck in traffic half your life.

8 hours ago, PASabreFan said:

Re: the bolded, are you getting major and match mixed up?

Well, they could call a major without a match, but you can't call a match without a major.  Since they ejected him I was going straight to that and it had to be the criteria they were using as they did eject him. 

7 hours ago, Eleven said:

So going back to "the call" for a minute--I've read a couple of things elsewhere that have expanded my view.

What happens if the refs don't give 5 + game to Eakin?  You have a situation where a team is down 3-0, with ten minutes left, their captain is out and bleeding from his helmet, in a series where there had been plenty of nastiness on both sides.  The refs would have completely lost control.  I think you're looking at a Buffalo vs. Ottawa situation there.  Since everything I've read indicates that 2 + 10 would not have been allowed, the refs might have saved a few players some headaches (not metaphorically) with that call.

It's plausible.   I'm part of an ice hockey referee group and this call was debated from a lot of angles.  All in all, the general consensus is that there's no way you get to major penalty, let alone a match.  They debated the optics of the bleeding and the potential ensuing escalation as well.

The benches would each get a talking to after the penalty call was made and everyone would understand their view.  If the Sharks persisted to seek out "justice" the officials would definitely start calling things tight in which case San Jose spend a lot of time short handed.  If the game gets close and the escalation occurs then you usually just utter the phrase "The next time I'm sending one of you."  In fact, I think I heard that mentioned on a broadcast recently.  It's a common thing to say.  In a tight game no one wants to be the guy who gives the opponent the power play.  If you take both then they know it's a wash so it doesn't deter.

-------------------------------

The Canes showed some serious fight.  The Caps were just not "on" enough.  And.. Justin Williams.  Seriously.

Good thing Botterill didn't do anything to fix the 2nd line when the team was WAAAAAY overperforming backin late November / early December.  'cause clearly sneaking into the playoffs would've been a disaster.  ####!!!!

They sign Martin, I might not renew.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, Taro T said:

Good thing Botterill didn't do anything to fix the 2nd line when the team was WAAAAAY overperforming backin late November / early December.  'cause clearly sneaking into the playoffs would've been a disaster.  ####!!!!

Point of fact: from the time that Botterill said that and the last two games of the season (games 62-80), the Sabres went 2-15-2.  Maybe the club quit on the GM because the GM had already quit on them.

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, E4 ... Ke2 said:

Point of fact: from the time that Botterill said that and the last two games of the season (games 62-80), the Sabres went 2-15-2.  Maybe the club quit on the GM because the GM had already quit on them.

So our next GM is Ron Francis?

All 4 wild cards go figure. This should push the nhl to move on changing the format that the Leaf fans will be clamoring for. 

9 hours ago, Eleven said:

I'll note that the arena is silent, SILENT, @PASabreFan in a game 7 with the home team up.  It's DC, which I've explained before is not a hockey city, but it is SILENT.

It wasn't silent. Every game I've watched in these playoffs, the crowds have been raucous. Not even sure why I'm tagged here. The arena in Buffalo has been a morgue for a long time. You might be the only person who disputes this. And that Lindy had to go. It's 2019. Can we refresh what we argue about?

8 hours ago, PromoTheRobot said:

I wonder if anyone in Raleigh stayed up to watch?

Ditto for the Isles and Tavares. 

Raleigh hardly deserves the shade thrown at it. They have great fans.

7 hours ago, Taro T said:

It's not about *just* making the playoffs. Terry scrapes those owners off the bottom of his shoes. Low-class! It's about long-term excellence. You just wait.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.