2019 Stanley Cup Playoffs First Round

Brawndo

I would say that we won the trade if:  1. Tage turns into a solid middle-6 forward, 2. Sobotka finds his grove and isn't dead weight on the team, *and* 3. We hit big on the pick (how big that pick needs to hit depends on Tage's eventual contribution).  So it's possible, and perhaps in a year or two we will be able to agree the long term payback was worth the short term pain, but I'm very skeptical on that point.

I could be wrong but isn't there already an ROR trade thread in the forum?? Do we really need to infect every thread with this?? 

As for the SC Playoffs, Tampa Bay and

HSB.jpg getting knocked out is nothing short of awesome. If the Jets and LV keep it up it's a WIN WIN WIN scenario

Edited by jsb
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

32 minutes ago, WildCard said:

Or Tage. But realistically Thompson is already a waste

Lmao chill

34 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

The only way to salvage that trade is to get the St Louis pick at 18 or 19 and hit on that player... hit meaning a 60pt player. 

Or Montour turns into a star

Ugh.  If we're going to spend some time on this, I will say that with 20/20 hindsight, we could have done Lehner far better than we did and should have kept ROR.  The problems in the organization exposed by these two players really had nothing to do with them.

• Thanks (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, WildCard said:

If you believe in Thompson have fun buddy 

You and Doohickie could use a lesson in nuance. Just because I don’t think the trade has failed already, just because I think it’s foolish to believe Tage is already a failure doesn’t mean I believe firmly in the opposite. I don’t. I think the trade will fail. I’m not confident in Tage. But neither are set in stone.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thanks (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Hoss said:

I’m not even sure what you’re conveying here.

That's as clear a "huh?!/WTF" gif as I've seen in a while.

1 hour ago, dudacek said:

I still think I was right about the need to move O’Reilly. Unfortunately that doesn’t mean the trade will eventually work out.

Well put.

Someone posted a link to a national guy (Ferraro?) talking about how the locker room clean-out remarks were why JBOT felt his hand was forced with ROR. I never saw it that way. I thought the take was misplaced.

I've really come to rue the apparent need to trade such a high quality top-6 NHL forward. 

Just now, Hoss said:

You and Doohickie could use a lesson in nuance. Just because I don’t think the trade has failed already, just because I think it’s foolish to believe Tage is already a failure doesn’t mean I believe firmly in the opposite. I don’t. I think the trade will fail. I’m not confident in Tage. But neither are set in stone.

Oh come on Hoss lol of course neither are set in stone, nothing is until it happens, no sht. I'm extremely confident that Tage will fail, does that satisfy your nuance?

• Like (+1) 1

21 minutes ago, That Aud Smell said:

That's as clear a "huh?!/WTF" gif as I've seen in a while.

I get that, but I'm not sure exactly what tone it's going for. I am fluent in gif.

20 minutes ago, WildCard said:

Oh come on Hoss lol of course neither are set in stone, nothing is until it happens, no sht. I'm extremely confident that Tage will fail, does that satisfy your nuance?

His name is Tage. He was a bust before he sniffed a jock strap. But there's still a chance he changes his name and finds success.

I don’t have an opinion on Tage one way or the other… i’ll be patient with him. But I do know this… A lot of fans thought Rinehart was going to be a bust two or three years ago. A lot!

And today some may even think he is a bust, but it’s a hell of a lot less than what it was two or theee years ago.  Those negative Nancy’s look like fools (to me anyway). Time and development, development and time.  For some players it takes longer, and for some players it doesn’t.  And for some they simply don’t have the talent to take the next step. 

And no, don’t try to reach for low hanging fruit by thinking I mean Tage will be as good as Reinhart or better.

I’m glad some have that awesome crystal ball and can make such a great definitive declaration as to being so sure that a young player is already a bust. Bloody hell.

Just now, Zamboni said:

I don’t have an opinion on Tage one way or the other… i’ll be patient with him. But I do know this… A lot of fans thought Rinehart was going to be a bust two or three years ago. A lot!

And today some may even think he is a bust, but it’s a hell of a lot less than what it was two or theee years ago.  Those negative Nancy’s look like fools (to me anyway). Time and development, development and time.  For some players it takes longer, and for some players it doesn’t.  And for some they simply don’t have the talent to take the next step. 

And no, don’t try to reach for low hanging fruit by thinking I mean Tage will be as good as Reinhart or better.

I’m glad some have that awesome crystal ball and can make such a great definitive declaration as to being so sure that a young player is already a bust. Bloody hell.

Tage has been nowhere near as successful, or hopeful, as Reinhart was. Some people thought Reinhart was a 'bust' in the sense that he wouldn't live up to the #2 overall pick, nobody once questioned if he'd be an NHL player. There are real doubts if Thompson can even be an NHL player

• Like (+1) 1

51 minutes ago, Zamboni said:

And today some may even think he is a bust, but it’s a hell of a lot less than what it was two or theee years ago.  Those negative Nancy’s look like fools (to me anyway).

Those people have always been, and will likely always be, fools. Like the great Jame once said, people’s opinions of Sam Reinhart is a great indicator of how well a person actually sees a hockey game.*

*this is not a defense of Tage

• Like (+1) 1

48 minutes ago, WildCard said:

Tage has been nowhere near as successful, or hopeful, as Reinhart was. Some people thought Reinhart was a 'bust' in the sense that he wouldn't live up to the #2 overall pick, nobody once questioned if he'd be an NHL player. There are real doubts if Thompson can even be an NHL player

I think Tage gets there, but think because of his size, he has some work and hockey maturity to gain.  I agree he should have been in the A this year to better understand how better get that awkwardness out of his game.  But I bet he becomes a very good player based on the work ethic he appears to possess, just may take another year for him to get there.  He has gotten by on that shot, but there is more to it to become an effective player and he needs to learn that.

3 minutes ago, Andrew Amerk said:

Why is there a ROR trade debate going on in this thread?

Why is it an issue? He's in the playoffs and literally nothing is happening right now. If it kills some of the talk about tonight's games then that'd be a bummer but otherwise who cares.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Hoss said:

Why is it an issue? He's in the playoffs and literally nothing is happening right now. If it kills some of the talk about tonight's games then that'd be a bummer but otherwise who cares.

ROR is in the playoffs...Tage, Sobotka, Montour, etc are not. The banter has nothing to do with the playoffs, and I’d have to assume there’s a thread for the trade debate somewhere. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.