2019 Stanley Cup Playoffs First Round

Brawndo

2 minutes ago, #freejame said:

So you are certain Vegas will struggle financially as a franchise? You’ve seen the future and know they won’t win this cup? They play in arguably the worst division in hockey and have quality goaltending and depth. So long as Fleury is there they will likely continue to make the playoffs. 

I'd say they're a unique situation where financial stability and on ice stability are almost completely independent.  Both the team and the league would love for them to have a fanbase, but it's really just an added bonus.

2 minutes ago, shrader said:

I'd say they're a unique situation where financial stability and on ice stability are almost completely independent.  Both the team and the league would love for them to have a fanbase, but it's really just an added bonus.

I would guess they will be fine financially. Vegas is already a destination and they have clearly demonstrated that the hockey game will be another show people can see. 

5 minutes ago, millbank said:

The era of perennial Cup teams with the Cap is over. Teams have a window do their best and then rebuild again. Teams out of playoffs this season can become contenders next 

Can you pull some strings and make this a fact in the NFL as well?

8 minutes ago, shrader said:

Can you pull some strings and make this a fact in the NFL as well?

It’s not even a fact in the NHL. Washington, Pittsburgh, Tampa, San Jose, Nashville, Boston, now Toronto, St. Louis. All perennial contenders for a prolonged period of time without having the rebuild. Just because you lose in the first round doesn’t mean you weren’t a contender. Just because you never win one doesn’t mean you weren’t a contender. Teams can still contend for extended periods of time.

Even if Vegas never wins one they’re already close to proving it was worth it. And the unique circumstances there make this a strategy that might not be the best for other markets but is great there. The amount of merchandise they’ve spread across the city and country have made them a brand already. They’ve executed this perfectly.

• Like (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, Hoss said:

It’s not even a fact in the NHL. Washington, Pittsburgh, Tampa, San Jose, Nashville, Boston, now Toronto, St. Louis. All perennial contenders for a prolonged period of time without having the rebuild. Just because you lose in the first round doesn’t mean you weren’t a contender. Just because you never win one doesn’t mean you weren’t a contender. Teams can still contend for extended periods of time.

Even if Vegas never wins one they’re already close to proving it was worth it. And the unique circumstances there make this a strategy that might not be the best for other markets but is great there. The amount of merchandise they’ve spread across the city and country have made them a brand already. They’ve executed this perfectly.

I guess it depends on your definition of a "prolonged period of time".  Including Toronto definitely means you're using a very loose definition.  It's what, 3 years for them now?  But anyway, there's a lot of turnover in the NHL as a whole, but that's the nature of the beast when you are comparing a 16 team 7 game series playoff field to a 12 team single elimination field.

As for Vegas and the branding and the selling of gear, I'm not so sure that's really a unique situation.  A team wins, they see a massive spike in sales.  It will drop off once they do.  They're not the first team to see that and they won't be the last.  Hell, wasn't the slug one of, if not the highest selling jerseys in the NHL for a period of time?  If that's not proof of concept, I don't know what is.  After all of this though, it'll be interesting to see how things go for Seattle.  The bar has been set impossibly high.  And they won't have that unique market benefit either.  I hope they don't wind up with an Ottawa-like entrance, but I feel like the pendulum may very well wind up swinging back in that direction.

4 minutes ago, shrader said:

I guess it depends on your definition of a "prolonged period of time".  Including Toronto definitely means you're using a very loose definition.  It's what, 3 years for them now?  But anyway, there's a lot of turnover in the NHL as a whole, but that's the nature of the beast when you are comparing a 16 team 7 game series playoff field to a 12 team single elimination field.

As for Vegas and the branding and the selling of gear, I'm not so sure that's really a unique situation.  A team wins, they see a massive spike in sales.  It will drop off once they do.  They're not the first team to see that and they won't be the last.  Hell, wasn't the slug one of, if not the highest selling jerseys in the NHL for a period of time?  If that's not proof of concept, I don't know what is.  After all of this though, it'll be interesting to see how things go for Seattle.  The bar has been set impossibly high.  And they won't have that unique market benefit either.  I hope they don't wind up with an Ottawa-like entrance, but I feel like the pendulum may very well wind up swinging back in that direction.

My inclusion of Toronto is a projection, to be fair. Eliminate them and I’m thinking more along the lines of five years.

Also, everything about Vegas so far has been a unique situation. And their spike in sales isn’t comparable to a franchise that’s been around for decades suddenly being good for two seasons. The newness of it all certainly appeals beyond that.

Edited by Hoss

1 minute ago, Hoss said:

My inclusion of Toronto is a projection, to be fair. Eliminate them and I’m thinking more along the lines of five years.

St. Louis is kind of a funny one.  They've kind of operated mostly in obscurity over the years.  I had to look up their recent history to see where they've been finishing.  It's probably just a western conference thing.  I'm paying less attention and you tend to miss the middle of the pack teams.

But anyway, the NHL really is a breath of fresh air compared to certain other leagues.  In the 13 years post-lockout, we've had 18 different teams in the finals and 8 different winners.  The NFL is surprisingly close to those numbers over the same timeframe actually (more winners, less teams), once you're able to look past new england being in 4 of the last 5.  If nothing else, the NHL has always felt like more teams have a shot.

10 minutes ago, Hoss said:

Luckily that doesn’t mean the trade won’t eventually work out.

Keep believing that.  Things could change but I think the best player in the trade is wearing a Blue Note and it's hard to envision any of the players that came to Buffalo ever producing as much for Buffalo as ROR will for St. Louis.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, millbank said:

The era of perennial Cup teams with the Cap is over. Teams have a window do their best and then rebuild again. Teams out of playoffs this season can become contenders next 

Welcome back, stranger.

32 minutes ago, Doohickie said:

Keep believing that.  Things could change but I think the best player in the trade is wearing a Blue Note and it's hard to envision any of the players that came to Buffalo ever producing as much for Buffalo as ROR will for St. Louis.

Okay, I will keep believing that. I will indeed keep believe there’s a possibility the trade still works out, however unlikely it seems. We traded for a player who hadn’t made himself into a full-time NHL player yet and a pick. We’ll see what those guys turn into.

33 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

giphy.gif?cid=790b76115cb75338594f496373

I’m not even sure what you’re conveying here.

• Like (+1) 1

52 minutes ago, Hoss said:

I think I was very wrong about the need to move O’Reilly. Luckily that doesn’t mean the trade won’t eventually work out.

I still think I was right about the need to move O’Reilly. Unfortunately that doesn’t mean the trade will eventually work out.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, millbank said:

Unless the team is named the Buffalo Sabres.

Then it becomes a decade long epic quest to try and make the playoffs.

54 minutes ago, Doohickie said:

Yes.  The O'Reilly trade is over and we lost it.  And that's not going to change with the passage of time.

That was such a bad decision that worked out so poorly it should--and perhaps ultimately will--result in Botterill losing his job.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.