Casey Mittelstadt, deep breath, he's fine

LGR4GM

Who the heck, thinks a 20 year old first year player in the pros won’t develop? I don’t think anyone would be that obtuse. He has too much talent to not develop. It may be a slower road like a Reinhart or Ullmark instead of a faster road like a Eichel or Dahlin. And I’m fine with that. 

Edited by Zamboni
  • Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

Casey is fine. We saw flashes and honestly he's about what I expected. Needs strength and consistency but still has 2nd line center potential. 

What I saw from Mittlestadt was a kid whose mind plays at NHL speed but the body does not.  He tried to move as fast as required and failed more often than not.  The positive of this being that he's going to find that pace and when(if) it clicks he'll be downright deadly.

He has the capacity to stick handle in a phone booth.  My hope is that it develops that he does it.

• Like (+1) 2

I think Jbot failed Casey this year.  I am a believer in the Jbot plan, but his failure to properly slot Casey hurt the Sabres and may have hurt Casey.

I think he is a special talent and just needs the correct place in the lineup to blossom.  It's now up to Jbot to make sure the mistakes of this season aren't repeated.

• Like (+1) 2

I don’t understand how anyone could declare that he’s “fine” or a “bust” as if it’s some inherent objective quality capable of being measured.

He’s an unknown.  He clearly has talent.  What we don’t yet know is whether he’ll put in the strength training over the offseason (and future offseasons) to develop his body into that of an NHL player - or whether his frame will accommodate such training.

Personally, I’m disappointed he’s not stronger by now, but if he puts in the work he can come back in 2019-20 with the strength to get his nose dirty in the boards or in front of the net.  Will he burn off the baby fat?  I don’t know - neither does anyone else.

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Cascade Youth said:

I don’t understand how anyone could declare that he’s “fine” or a “bust” as if it’s some inherent objective quality capable of being measured.

He’s an unknown.  He clearly has talent.  What we don’t yet know is whether he’ll put in the strength training over the offseason (and future offseasons) to develop his body into that of an NHL player - or whether his frame will accommodate such training.

Personally, I’m disappointed he’s not stronger by now, but if he puts in the work he can come back in 2019-20 with the strength to get his nose dirty in the boards or in front of the net.  Will he burn off the baby fat?  I don’t know - neither does anyone else.

Has he had the time to work on his conditioning?  I'm guessing he started right after the draft but that would have only given him a few months to work on it. This off-season should give him plenty of time to work on it. Look at Nylander and Reinhart. They went from pre-draft waifs to jacked. It took a little time. I expect Casey to follow suit. I've heard only good things about his work ethic so far. 

• Like (+1) 3

Been watching his last few games closer and he has come a long way learning board work, he has speed and lately hes been showing off his hands.  The game is slowing down for him and I expect big things next year.  Was hoping for more this year, but I think its there with a good offseason for Casey.

14 minutes ago, Torpedo Forecheck said:

He has the skills and needs more time to develop physically. He put on baby fat (20-25 lbs.) since the World Jrs. and it affected his speed and quickness. Hit the squat rack hard this offseason Casey and it will pay off. Oh and your shot can never be good enough.

How do you know about his weight gain and the composition of that weight?

He is still a top prospect and nobody failed him by giving him NHL minutes. Sure, some time in Rochester would have been ideal but that didn’t happen.  

He seems durable and his pudgy body looks like it can be sculpted into a strong one.  That is up to him to do the work.  

His hands  are great, his scoring and playmaking instincts are there.  I like that he can be feisty too. 

Sure, he seems behind the play at times, especially in the defensive zone, but that is from thinking and not from a lack of skating speed.  He will start to process the game quicker and should turn out fine.  

He needs to keep at it, work hard and get stronger,  things will click.  

Edited by Pimlach
  • Like (+1) 1

Casey was projected at 33/34 points over an 82 game season. He's played exactly 82 games right now counting last year and has 30 points. Next year he needs to be in high 40s in points or if possible the 50s. Time will tell but right now he's where I expected. 

30 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

If we get Kakko in the draft, give Reinhart to casey and Kakko to jack, it would be good fits. 

Kakko's talent is undeniable.  If somehow the Sabres get to #2, they have to take him.  They will have to address #2 center through free agency or trade. 

• Like (+1) 1

https://twitter.com/ntrider825/status/1114580267119853570?s=19

"Casey Mittelstadt played a grand total of 17% of his 5v5 minutes this year with one of Jack Eichel or Sam Reinhart and, idk, that seems…not ideal"

Nothing like seeing good reasons for Casey not having a better year. Basically Phil Housley is bad. 

Edited by LGR4GM

2 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

https://twitter.com/ntrider825/status/1114580267119853570?s=19

"Casey Mittelstadt played a grand total of 17% of his 5v5 minutes this year with one of Jack Eichel or Sam Reinhart and, idk, that seems…not ideal"

Nothing like seeing good reasons for Casey not having a better year. Basically Phil Housley is bad. 

Yep, Housley really ***** things up by not playing Reinhart and Eichel the entire game and rotating Skinner, Mittelstadt, Dahlin, Pilut, McCabe, Rodrigues and Olofsson through the other three spots.

15 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

Casey is fine. We saw flashes and honestly he's about what I expected. Needs strength and consistency but still has 2nd line center potential. 

Agree. I am hopeful he makes a leap forward next year. My fear (for Dahlin as well) is we are rushing them along, expecting too much, not correcting bad habits, not teaching enough fundamentals and defensive responsibilities. Wouldn't be the first player we've ruined that way. So fingers crossed. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.