Whose return do you care more about, Rick's or Jeff's?

PASabreFan

Whose return do you care more about, Rick's or Jeff's?  

30 members have voted

1. 1. Whose return do you care more about, Rick's or Jeff's?

• Rick's
    • Jeff's

Rick says he's going to take some time to make a decision on returning for another season. (Spoiler alert: he's returning. He does this every year, the old diva.)

https://buffalonews.com/2019/04/04/rick-jeanneret-is-taking-months-to-ponder-whether-he-returns-next-season/

Edited by PASabreFan

There isn't a Sabres fan who loves RJ more than me; I have listened to some of his best calls dozens of times on Youtube simply to enjoy his broadcasting.  I have watched the Soupy Campbell hit on RJ Umberger alone  about 50 times.

"Campbell stepped into his check at the blue line, AND NOW THEY'RE ALL CHASING AFTER CAMPBELL!!!"

God how I miss that sort of hockey.

Anyway, RJ is nothing close to what he used to be and the team of Rayzor and RJ is pretty bad overall as compared to the crews around the league.

I don't have a problem with RJ stepping down at any time, especially if the team is going to remain a cesspool.

Edited by Kruppstahl

Skinner for sure and it’s not really close. RJ has been unlistenable on the radio since at least 2016 and isn’t all that impressive on MSG anymore either. Give me a winning team and we could have Jack Edwards and Tripp Tracy for all I care. 

I voted for Rick, but just because.

He does not need to continue to call games for anyone but himself at this point. So, if he wants to call games, then more power to him. But as someone else noted, he's lost just about any zip on his fastball -- he's mostly just throwing BP out there, so to speak.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, That Aud Smell said:

He does not need to continue to call games for anyone but himself at this point. So, if he wants to call games, then more power to him. But as someone else noted, he's lost just about any zip on his fastball -- he's mostly just throwing BP out there, so to speak.

He's always done it for himself!  He has an ego and loves being in the spotlight; it suits him well and it's a part of why he was so good at his job.  He's a natural entertainer.

He would have stepped down a long time ago if it wasn't about that sort of thing.

You can make arguments for both of them to stay or go imo. Like RJ is too old or Skinner fading the 2nd half of the year or having his numbers inflated by Eichel & not worth the money we would have to pay. But at the end of the day i'd like both of them to be here. They're both Sabres in my eyes & bring a net positive to our franchise than a negative.

But if i had to pick i'd say Skinner. A player is obviously more important, especially one who can finish & score, which is something we don't have much of

40 minutes ago, That Aud Smell said:

Sometimes it's about lack of material too. When there's a compelling goal, Rick still steps up, albeit maybe in a different way than years ago. The call of Reinhart's goal from Jack after Jack had dominated the zone was very good. The histrionics are mostly gone. I wonder if that's because Rick knows he can't pull it off anymore or if he's finally at a point in his career where he's comfortable in his skin?

Edited by PASabreFan
  • Like (+1) 1

My wife teaches second grade down here in NC.  Yesterday she told me a story about how she was having the kids talk about something that makes them laugh.  One boy said RJ (by his full name, not just he initials).  My wife knows nothing about the Sabres, but even she got a good laugh out of it, knowing exactly who he is.  She wanted to break out a "Lalalalalafontaine", but she figured the kid would have no idea.  The whole thing just made me thing about how this kid likes RJ so much, but all he's ever seen is this super old version.  The kid's really missing out.

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Kruppstahl said:

There isn't a Sabres fan who loves RJ more than me; I have listened to some of his best calls dozens of times on Youtube simply to enjoy his broadcasting.  I have watched the Soupy Campbell hit on RJ Umberger alone  about 50 times.

"Campbell stepped into his check at the blue line, AND NOW THEY'RE ALL CHASING AFTER CAMPBELL!!!"

God how I miss that sort of hockey.

Anyway, RJ is nothing close to what he used to be and the team of Rayzor and RJ is pretty bad overall as compared to the crews around the league.

I don't have a problem with RJ stepping down at any time, especially if the team is going to remain a cesspool.

I believe Ray is a big reason why RJ isn't as good...Ray talks too much...adds nothing to the game and is always talking when RJ should be doing the play by play. Ray needs to go

4 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

With all due respect to RJ maybe it's perfect timing to revamp the whole thing to try to help create a new vibe for the beginning of a new era. 

what new era?

• Like (+1) 2

4 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

With all due respect to RJ maybe it's perfect timing to revamp the whole thing to try to help create a new vibe for the beginning of a new era. 

Unfortunately, the torch is probably going to be passed to Dan. 

"Eichel tower"

"cardiac kids"

*listening to WGR having no idea wtf is going on*

Edited by New Guy

Buffalo fans know enough about hockey that they do not need RJ.

As such, RJ can continue to call games for as long as he'd like.  He can, because he is an institution. 

When RJ screws up, or is not as good as he was, I just ignore it.  When he's on, he's still one of the best and when he's not he's just background noise like the rest. Institutions will eventually crumble and fail, but that doesn't mean we should hasten their demise.

As for Jeff Skinner... I'd love to have him back. I hope he sees what others do not.  Time will tell.

• Like (+1) 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.