Victor Olofsson - Time for his own Sabres thread

MODO Hockey

29 minutes ago, inkman said:

Anyone concerned about Olof's lack of 5 on 5 scoring?  It was brought up on Hockey Central last night.  The PP is kinda blinding us to the 5 on 5 play of that line overall. 

I am concerned.  Because at some point the penalties stop getting called and you have to find a way to put the puck in the net 5v5.  Right now I am happy they are cashing in on the PP, but 5v5 will be critical.

• Like (+1) 1

52 minutes ago, inkman said:

Anyone concerned about Olof's lack of 5 on 5 scoring?  It was brought up on Hockey Central last night.  The PP is kinda blinding us to the 5 on 5 play of that line overall. 

Not really.  I think that comes over time as he continues to gain chemistry with Jack and Sam.  Last season in the AHL, he has 20 even strength goals and only 9 on the PP (plus 1 SHG).  

• Like (+1) 2

I really enjoy watching olofsson.  He is really fun to watch and I think he will get better opportunities 5v5 soon enough. 

Wasn't eichel 's goals primarily in pp situations too. Maybe 2 years ago. I don't remember specifically 

Edited by miles

30 minutes ago, LTS said:

I am concerned.  Because at some point the penalties stop getting called and you have to find a way to put the puck in the net 5v5.  Right now I am happy they are cashing in on the PP, but 5v5 will be critical.

Is this a thing? LOL

The penalties will keep coming as long as the team continues to work diligently. Their work ethic is what will create the penalties.

1 hour ago, inkman said:

Yes, I’m a little concerned that the 1st line isn’t doing so well at 5 on 5, both in terms of goals, goal differential and Corsi.  

I'm not worried about it yet. Olofsson is still a rookie and it's going to take a little time for him to get used to the lack of time and space at 5v5. Jack's line is the best place for him to figure it out though. It'll only get harder on a line with players who don't make as much space for themselves or their teammates. 

He should hopefully start cashing in soon.

• Like (+1) 1

21 minutes ago, darksabre said:

I'm not worried about it yet. Olofsson is still a rookie and it's going to take a little time for him to get used to the lack of time and space at 5v5. Jack's line is the best place for him to figure it out though. It'll only get harder on a line with players who don't make as much space for themselves or their teammates. 

He should hopefully start cashing in soon.

Agreed, I think Jack's line is the perfect place for his game and for him to learn how to play better on 5v5

• Like (+1) 1

44 minutes ago, triumph_communes said:

I've only worried about his forechecking, not his finishing on 5v5.  The Eichel line as a unit has been outclassed by opposing top lines for most nights, and they can never sustain offense as the cycle breaks down quickly.  Eichel has always been a weird player to cycle with though, give it time.

I’m with this, although I’d replace “outclassed” with “holding it’s own.” 

It’s not like Taylor Hall, Sidney Crosby, Tyler Seguin or even Alexander Barkov lit things up against us; the first three were practically invisible.

Haven't seen the numbers, but Ralph seems to deliberately seek out the toughest matchups for Jack’s line, and, in the process, puts his other lines in a good position to succeed.

As far as Vic goes, I seem to remember Rick Martin as an OK 5-on-5 guy who earned his living on the PP. He had a pretty good career.

Edited by dudacek
  • Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, inkman said:

Only mildly.  Krueger has been playing Eichel 's line against the other team's top line (and the Larsson line against the other guy's 2nd lines).  That line hasn't been getting beat up too badly in that match up yet, including against a line (Barkov's that Eichel's line via the eye test) last year got crushed.

If the lack of 5v5 finishing on that line becomes a concern, they can try to get some shifts against lesser lines.

And surprisingly, Eichel and Ristolainen on the ice at the same time aren't nearly the train wreck they were last year.

If we're at the 15 game mark still looking for Olofsson 's 1st ES goal, then real concern may be warranted.  Right now though, he's getting some opportunities.  They just haven't been buried.

12 minutes ago, Taro T said:

Only mildly.  Krueger has been playing Eichel 's line against the other team's top line (and the Larsson line against the other guy's 2nd lines).  That line hasn't been getting beat up too badly in that match up yet, including against a line (Barkov's that Eichel's line via the eye test) last year got crushed.

If the lack of 5v5 finishing on that line becomes a concern, they can try to get some shifts against lesser lines.

And surprisingly, Eichel and Ristolainen on the ice at the same time aren't nearly the train wreck they were last year.

If we're at the 15 game mark still looking for Olofsson 's 1st ES goal, then real concern may be warranted.  Right now though, he's getting some opportunities.  They just haven't been buried.

Krueger seems to try to match the Eichel line with Scandella+Jokiharju, who the latter has a mean breakout pass, but Scandella has taken the role of facing top opposition and he hasn't disappointed.

8 minutes ago, triumph_communes said:

Krueger seems to try to match the Eichel line with Scandella+Jokiharju, who the latter has a mean breakout pass, but Scandella has taken the role of facing top opposition and he hasn't disappointed.

The 1st couple of games it was very noticeable that Scandella's pair was out w/ Eichel.  The last couple it seemed much more balanced between that pairing and McCabe's.

Not much overlap w/ Dahlin, but Krueger seems to be keeping him from the other team's top line.

12 hours ago, Doohickie said:

One thing I've noticed in this year's power play that seems different is that the vast majority of passing is "around the horn" - the umbrella players.  The jobs of Reino and Skinner seem to be to simply move around enough to disrupt the defensive box to open up passing lanes, and when a shot is made, to collapse on the net for a rebound.  It's working right now, but maybe at some point teams learn to ignore the slot players and hold their coverage of the passing lanes at the top of the formation.  The logical adjustment would be to pass the slot players more if they're not being actively covered.  But right now Reino and Skins look like little more than decoys.

Duff and Marty just had a conversation about this in the Ducks-Sabres pregame, basically saying the same thing.

I like the PP structure.  We saw on the first PP goal is that Skinner and Reinhart are so good in tight that they can create when the pluck is down low.  

Where they got exposed last night was by a team that was willing to risk being players out to challenge Dahlin and Jack.  They have to quicker to shoot in that situation and allow Skinner and Reinhart more opportunity.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.