Victor Olofsson - Time for his own Sabres thread

MODO Hockey

This season has been a roller coaster that have touched us all, dear god i had to even stop watching the games to not become to negative.
I've said some real harsh words about this team and ive been puking all over Phils way of coaching, etc etc etc.. the list goes on.

On the positive side though, 

One thing ive been waiting for a long time, is to see Victor Olofsson snipe for us, and we now have seen what he can do for Sabres.
He has been named AHL player of the week and month and he for sure deserved the call up.
Playing Victor with Jack was a good choice, but even a five year old kid left buttcheek could have figured that out, so i wont give Phil any cred for that.

Of you guys that have been here for quite some time, you have read my earlier posts about Victor during the years that have passed.
This video is old obviously and been posted serveral times in different threads by me, i strongly believe it need to be posted again to show what i strongly believe will
be one of the most powerful powerplay weapons we've had for years.

Sign skinner and get us Phillys Sean Couturier to center skinner and we will be fine

Edited by MODO Hockey
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

He made a interesting comment last night.

He said (and it’s not the first time) he wouldn’t have been able to do what he’s able to do today If he didn’t go and develop and learn the game in Roch. first. That spending time in Roch. really helped him develop and get used to the NA ice and the way the game is played over here. 

So from the horses mouth, he himself knows he would not have been able to look “this good” if some of the fans got their wish and he was called up in Dec/Jan.

a full season of development in the AHL really helped him round out his game. I’m glad he recognizes that and hopefully he has a great post season in the AHL and works his tail off in the summer, and comes into camp and makes the team. I’m rooting for him.

• Like (+1) 3

1 hour ago, Zamboni said:

He made a interesting comment last night.

He said (and it’s not the first time) he wouldn’t have been able to do what he’s able to do today If he didn’t go and develop and learn the game in Roch. first. That spending time in Roch. really helped him develop and get used to the NA ice and the way the game is played over here. 

So from the horses mouth, he himself knows he would not have been able to look “this good” if some of the fans got their wish and he was called up in Dec/Jan.

a full season of development in the AHL really helped him round out his game. I’m glad he recognizes that and hopefully he has a great post season in the AHL and works his tail off in the summer, and comes into camp and makes the team. I’m rooting for him.

@tom webster Apparently it not just us old guys who think that time in the minors can help a players development.

• Like (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, nfreeman said:

Well, it's also quite possible that Olofsson is savvy enough to know that paying tribute to his time in Rochester is what the organization wants to hear, so he's being a good company man in order to generate internal goodwill.

Possible. I guess anything is possible.

its possible the moon is made of cheese when you dig down 50 feet too. Unlikely. But possible.

24 minutes ago, nfreeman said:

Well, it's also quite possible that Olofsson is savvy enough to know that paying tribute to his time in Rochester is what the organization wants to hear, so he's being a good company man in order to generate internal goodwill.

If they guys like @ogre who watch the Amerks regularly believe his two way game has improved while with he Amerks, I’ll have to side with Olofsson being honest that his time with the Amerks has helped him.

I do believe that his time in the AHL has helped him getting acclimated to the NA game. Their is no way that it hasn’t. Could he have learned the game in the NHL and also gotten better through the season absolutely. In my opinion It’s just easier to do it in the minors. 

14 minutes ago, bobs0108 said:

I do believe that his time in the AHL has helped him getting acclimated to the NA game. Their is no way that it hasn’t. Could he have learned the game in the NHL and also gotten better through the season absolutely. In my opinion It’s just easier to do it in the minors. 

Easier to do and better for development.  The AHL is a slower league 1 allowing good prospects to see things correctly, focus on certain aspects of their game, and learn faster.  A prospect that cannot stand out in the AHL is not going to be effective in the NHL. 

Olofsson benefited from this.  Tage could too.  Nylander looks to have made strides but is still a work in progress. 

1 hour ago, LGR4GM said:

Olofsson is bringing more to the team than just his shot, there is some other elements to his game that are quite good. 

Agreed. He is making good decisions and plays with the puck, and going to the right places without it.

Really, he looks like a veteran.

Edited by dudacek
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, bobs0108 said:

This is why Tage and Casey should have been sent down way earlier.

although if they were sent down would Rochester have been too crowded, stunting other players development?

2 minutes ago, Mustache of God said:

This is why Tage and Casey should have been sent down way earlier.

although if they were sent down would Rochester have been too crowded, stunting other players development?

Casey was never going to be sent down. Tage should have. 

2 hours ago, nfreeman said:

That'd be a great level of intuition and probably symptomatic of a solid career. 

11 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Casey was never going to be sent down. Tage should have. 

Are you agreeing Mitts shouldn't have been sent down or are you just interpolating the tea leaves the org has laid out for us to read?

2 minutes ago, utsvävande said:

I don't think he'll score enough. Do you mention this to Skinner during negotiations? How does Reinhart like that idea?

Skinner on one side, Olofsson on the other. Reinhart gets to go control his own line, which he should have been doing all season anyways

Skinner cleans up garbage around the net anyways, or fires rebounds. Olofsson generates a lot of those, he even got an assist on one on Eichel's goal yesterday. I don't think Skinner would mind at all a guy who would create a ton of chaos around the slot/goal

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thanks (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Zamboni said:

You aren’t gonna change some people’s minds. No matter how big a sledgehammer you try to use. Tom is set in his beliefs. So be it ...

Actually, a couple of things,

1) I’m 59

2) I’ve gotten where I am today by surrounding myself with people smarter then myself

3) some of the greatest achievements in my career where the results of thinking outside the box, questions the status quo.

4) I’m smart enough to know I may not be right. There is absolutely no way of knowing. The numbers show less then 50 players a year with AHL experience develop into top 6 forwards or top 4 defenseman.

5) I’m glad you insist on bringing me into the conversation.

6) Thanks Freeman for pointing out the obvious. 

Just now, utsvävande said:

I think you'll see that next year, WC, I'm just trying to temper some expectations. CJ Smith outscored Olofsson in even strength situations in Rochester, would you be excited about CJ Smith on that line?

Fair enough, and that's a good point. Did CJ Smith outscore Olofsson because of his experience, or because of his skill level though? Looking briefly at their careers, it appears Olofsson has had a much better rookie year in the AHL than Smith had, both at age 23 is appears (Olofsson 60pts in 64gp, Smith 44pts in 57gp)

Granted like you said, that's not ES though, and I would bet a solid amount of Olofsson's points come off the PP

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.