Got a link to a good Sabres podcast or radio show segment? Post it here.

nfreeman

So @dudacek posted the link below, in a different thread, to a 31 Thoughts podcast with Elliotte Friedman and Jeff Marek.  They do a nice, in-depth Sabres discussion for about 8 minutes.  (I listened to a few episodes of this podcast early this season and then bailed because I find Friedman too verbose and it makes the podcast too long IMHO.  But it doesn't bother me when they're doing the Sabres.)

Here it is:  https://www.sportsnet.ca/podcasts/31-thoughts-podcast/march-21-2019-cracks-maple-leafs-armour/

The Sabres discussion starts at the 20-minute mark.

So, if you come across something similar and you think others here would appreciate it, please fire away.

• Like (+1) 1

12 hours ago, nfreeman said:

So @dudacek posted the link below, in a different thread, to a 31 Thoughts podcast with Elliotte Friedman and Jeff Marek.  They do a nice, in-depth Sabres discussion for about 8 minutes.  (I listened to a few episodes of this podcast early this season and then bailed because I find Friedman too verbose and it makes the podcast too long IMHO.  But it doesn't bother me when they're doing the Sabres.)

Regarding the length of 31 thoughts episodes, they've pared their episodes down by cutting out the interview and posting it on a separate day. 

12 hours ago, ... said:

Thanks, that was interesting.  Sounds like the only guy he anticipates being moved is Risto.  Obviously he didn't say that specifically, but what he said was notable.

I also liked his perspective on Eichel -- i.e. he hasn't delivered what everyone was hoping for when they tanked for him, but getting rid of him would be dumb, and the sky's still the limit -- I think they referred to him as a "potential nuclear weapon."

• Like (+1) 1

I don't have a specific segment or episode to single out, but the The Instigator Podcast (not to be confused with the awful show on WGR) with Chris Ostrander is almost always a good listen: https://twointhebox.com/

50 minutes ago, nfreeman said:

I also liked his perspective on Eichel -- i.e. he hasn't delivered what everyone was hoping for when they tanked for him, but getting rid of him would be dumb, and the sky's still the limit -- I think they referred to him as a "potential nuclear weapon."

Right now Eichel is more Tyler Seguin than Nathan MacKinnon...but in year 4 of his career, MacKinnon was looking like a real disappointment. MacKinnon's point total in year 4 was 53 on a horrible Colorado team. MacKinnon's first 4 seasons: 63-38-52-53.....then in year 4, he exploded for 97. Eichel has posted 56-57-64-80. 

I use MacKinnon because I think of all the elite prospects to come into the league recently, he's the best comparable to Eichel. An otherworldly physical talent whose head wasn't on the same level of some other players who broke out more quickly. But then he put it all together and...holy smokes.

Edited by TrueBlueGED
  • Like (+1) 1

Sorry for picking on @LGR4GM again, but the above is why “there’s nothing wrong with Jack” is a cop-out.

To paraphrase a much-maligned phrase “winning the Stanley Cup is hard.” You need a lot of talent working together at the top of their games with a bit of luck.

Jack is a nuclear talent. And he can do more with “the top of their games” and the “working together” parts.

I don’t think bringing in an ass like Michel Therrien is the way to go, but I do think Jack is the personality type that responds to being challenged. And I’m not sure Phil and his team are doing that.

Edited by dudacek

13 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Sorry for picking on @LGR4GM again, but the above is why “there’s nothing wrong with Jack” is a cop-out.

To paraphrase a much-maligned phrase “winning the Stanley Cup is hard.” You need a lot of talent working together at the top of their games with a bit of luck.

Jack is a nuclear talent. And he can do more with “the top of their games” and the “working together” parts.

I don’t think bringing in an ass like Michel Therrien is the way to go, but I do think Jack is the personality type that responds to being challenged. And I’m not sure Phil and his team are doing that.

Jack is not the problem. Not, nothing is wrong with Jack. 

Edited by LGR4GM

15 minutes ago, dudacek said:

I have no idea how you got that out of my post. 

Here's Greg Wyshinski from ESPN, who I think is pretty good, on with Schopp and Bulldog: 

https://wgr550.radio.com/podcast/896/rss.xml

They do a couple of general NHL questions first, then about 10 minutes on the Sabres. 

Among other things, Wyshinski thinks Howie does not get canned but will be on a short leash next fall.

3 minutes ago, nfreeman said:

Here's Greg Wyshinski from ESPN, who I think is pretty good, on with Schopp and Bulldog: 

https://wgr550.radio.com/podcast/896/rss.xml

They do a couple of general NHL questions first, then about 10 minutes on the Sabres. 

Among other things, Wyshinski thinks Howie does not get canned but will be on a short leash next fall.

This could well be the case, but it makes no sense to me. 

2 hours ago, WildCard said:

In the full episode, Friedman says if Buffalo or Edmonton win the lottery again, expect changes to the lottery 

I mean, Buffalo has only won it once.  Edmonton on the other hand.. they're the poster child indicating that even if you have the top picks it doesn't mean you are going to win. Draft lottery or not... they've been terrible for a long time.  It almost feels like that playoff appearance two years ago was more of a fluke than the Bills.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.