Father Son Trips

CallawaySabres

So my kids have a week off starting next Friday and my daughter was asked to go on vacation with her friend. That leaves me alone with my 12 year old boy for about 5 days. Any suggestions from fathers who have done this as I would really take advantage. Location would be anywhere in the US and willing to do anything really. He likes soccer, sports in general, anything. I just found this out today and am really struggling with ideas. Thought of deep sea fishing, camping.... but want a lot of options to give him. 

I'd suggest a location that offers a number of different activities -- i.e. some sports events, some amusement park/other kid stuff, some camping/other outdoors stuff, etc.  For example, if you flew to Southern California, you could go to the beach, Disneyland, rent a convertible and drive up the PCH (which is awesome), redwood forest, soccer game, NBA or NHL game, etc. and fly home from Northern California.  We did that on a family trip a few years ago and it was great.

• Like (+1) 2

I highly recommend socal, take a ferry to Catalina island. He can drive you around in a golf cart.  They have tours of old Wrigley estate.  Submarine tours and more. Fishing tours...

Or drive the 101 from LA to Frisco. Halfway stop in Morrow Bay is awesome.  Just dont drive off the cliffs around Big Sur

https://www.visitcatalinaisland.com/

Edited by North Buffalo

Stay semi close to home to get maximum time with activities instead of on a plane or several planes.

hockey hall of fame/Toronto 

rock n roll hall of fame 

adirondacks camping/hiking although it will be cold so a hotel or cabin would be best.

washington DC to see the White House, capital building, Smithsonian museum etc ...

NYC area

whatever you pick, look up “best thing I ever ate” or “diners drive ins and dives”. Watch YouTube videos together and see what places look good to go eat, and make it a fun destination trip inside a mini vacation. 

It will be cold, but if they have zip lining open within driving distance.

just some thoughts ...

I would recommend DC with a stop at Gettysburg along the way. The Nationals will be in town and you might also have the option of a Caps playoff game. The Smithsonians are great (and free), as is the National Zoo (free) and the aquarium (not free) in the Baltimore Harbour if you can make it up there. If it would be his first time, monument tours are a great way to get an initial appreciation for the country’s history, especially at night when everything is lit up. Arlington and the changing of the guard is also a must. 

I was big into DC when I was his age (and still am), but it’s certainly not for everyone. It’s an incredibly walkable city and while the hotel and food can get expensive, it’s easy to limit expenses there. 

Edited by #freejame
There’s also a Top Golf in the area now

12 year old boy?  Sports or outdoors stuff.  Hit a couple of major league baseball games, maybe pair it with a hockey game.

Fishing season is underway now.  A day on the local creeks fishing for stocked trout can be a good bonding thing. 

6 hours ago, #freejame said:

I would recommend DC with a stop at Gettysburg along the way. The Nationals will be in town and you might also have the option of a Caps playoff game. The Smithsonians are great (and free), as is the National Zoo (free) and the aquarium (not free) in the Baltimore Harbour if you can make it up there. If it would be his first time, monument tours are a great way to get an initial appreciation for the country’s history, especially at night when everything is lit up. Arlington and the changing of the guard is also a must. 

I was big into DC when I was his age (and still am), but it’s certainly not for everyone. It’s an incredibly walkable city and while the hotel and food can get expensive, it’s easy to limit expenses there. 

You can never get all of DC in during a single visit.  So much to do.  Even the train ride in is fun.  If history/war/museums and stuff are your kid's bag, DC is a great trip.

I would not recommend Gettysburg to a 12 year old unless they are total Civil War buffs.  I think Gettysburg makes a great adult get-away, but my kids were pretty bored even though they dig history.

If you have money to burn, see if you can score some playoff tickets for either Nashville or Raleigh, North Carolina and go to the city that you can get the tickets for.  See the playoff game at night, watch some good triple A baseball during the day.  I think either city has triple A baseball.

4 minutes ago, CallawaySabres said:

I think I am liking the Orlando idea with Kennedy space center, the universal studios, and the beach an hour away. Thanks for the suggestion

The hard part is the launch.  The schedules aren't tight.  Honestly, when we do universal, we stay at one of the Universal resorts.  So much easier and you completely and utterly are able to get into the "vacation" mindset.  Forget driving an hour to the beach, just do one of the three night Universal packages and thank me later. 

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, ... said:

The hard part is the launch.  The schedules aren't tight.  Honestly, when we do universal, we stay at one of the Universal resorts.  So much easier and you completely and utterly are able to get into the "vacation" mindset.  Forget driving an hour to the beach, just do one of the three night Universal packages and thank me later. 

I totally agree with the universal trip,  one of the best vacations I’ve ever had. Definitely stay at one of the resorts, you’ll get “free” express passes and early access to Harry Potter World. 

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, CallawaySabres said:

Thanks for all the suggestions. Tempted to do the cali thing but travel....eesh.

I like the sound of warm weather so trying to think of best cities in fla?

Hey we are headed to Galvaston TX... only time of year to visit and cheap.  Beaches, history, fishing, noice hotels, biking and we have never been there plus kids are making pit stops in Kansas and Oklahoma... because we are getting them to all 50 states by end of high school, Alaska this summer, next year Hawaii.. PS... KS and OK are worth only pit stops.  Ive been there so meeting family 2 days later in Dallas to save vacation days... ps trick is to fly to hub city... cheap tickets then rent a car.

11 hours ago, CallawaySabres said:

I think I am liking the Orlando idea with Kennedy space center, the universal studios, and the beach an hour away. Thanks for the suggestion

Keep an eye on the launch schedule, if you do end up in the area. There's a good chance the Falcon Heavy launch this week slips into the weekend. It's the most powerful rocket in the world, and they're planing on landing two of the boosters back at the cape. 

• Like (+1) 1

IMHO given his age and whats to come as you both grew older i would make it a time for starting or continuing the boy to a man discussion. A kind of right of passage vacation on his life journey.

Of course this may assume you have not yet already started doing this with treating him more like a man than your boy.

Let him make some decisions about what you do or where you go, talk about what goes into making decisions, talk about what he means to you and your family and what you think it means to be a man and how you did or didn't get there. Mistakes you made and learned from.

No matter where you go or what you do that's what he will remember  

Just my .02 cents      

• Like (+1) 1

46 minutes ago, sodbuster said:

Keep an eye on the launch schedule, if you do end up in the area. There's a good chance the Falcon Heavy launch this week slips into the weekend. It's the most powerful rocket in the world, and they're planing on landing two of the boosters back at the cape. 

Seeing that, alone, would be worth a trip to Florida for me.  Alas, but not my kids.

Edited by ...
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Zamboni said:

I’ve never been to Universal.

Every time I make plans to go to Florida, I always put Disney over Universal in my mind, so I end up spending my money at Disney ?

In my opinion Universal is far better than Disney. It’s less crowded, far less expensive, and less child-oriented. 

2 hours ago, R_Dudley said:

IMHO given his age and whats to come as you both grew older i would make it a time for starting or continuing the boy to a man discussion. A kind of right of passage vacation on his life journey.

Of course this may assume you have not yet already started doing this with treating him more like a man than your boy.

Let him make some decisions about what you do or where you go, talk about what goes into making decisions, talk about what he means to you and your family and what you think it means to be a man and how you did or didn't get there. Mistakes you made and learned from.

No matter where you go or what you do that's what he will remember  

Just my .02 cents      

Love this and yes, that is definitely a part I am looking forward to the most!

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.