The Will Borgen Thread, Now with Video

Brawndo

@inkman Has been adding some video of Borgen to the thread, so a Title Change is appropriate. 

Borgen has been a pleasant second half surprise for the Amerks and did not look out of place during his Buffalo Recall. 

He will bring skill and physicality to the D Corps, Ink has posted some of His Greatest Hits. 

Edited by Brawndo

6 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

They should be down now  for this weekend’s series versus Syracuse 

Syracuse is playing Belleville right now. 0-0 end of 1...Out of the last six games Amerks play them three times. Cuse in first by one point currently with even games played. 

I thought he looked OK, kinda blended in for the most part, which isnt a bad thing for a 3rd pairing D.

-5 in 4 games is not impressive, but his Corsi was quite good (54%). Take what you will from a small sample size.

Edited by dudacek

13 minutes ago, dudacek said:

I thought he looked OK, kinda blended in for the most part, which isnt a bad thing for a 3rd pairing D.

-5 in 4 games is not impressive, but his Corsi was quite good (54%). Take what you will from a small sample size.

Good to know he held his own.

His odds of making the NHL as a regular starter got slightly better, which is about the best any one of these call up players could ask for given the circumstances.

6 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

I personally thought Borgen looked better than Pilut. 

He doesn't treat contact like the bubonic plague as Pilut does. I'm not condemning his future as an NHL player but I'm not sure I've seen a player so skittish when dealing with the forecheck. 

• Like (+1) 2

4 hours ago, shrader said:

Sadly the NHL does require you to dress a minimum number of players per game.

Sobotka and Tennyson could fill in for Oloffsson and Pilut I believe, freeing them up to be sent back 

Edited by Brawndo
  • Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, inkman said:

He doesn't treat contact like the bubonic plague as Pilut does. I'm not condemning his future as an NHL player but I'm not sure I've seen a player so skittish when dealing with the forecheck. 

Totally. Gets turned around a lot too and is out of position. Tries to use his speed (which is his asset) but it gets him caught leaving the front of the net open all too often. 

This is kind of what worries me about how this Housley style D is being built. Risto, Pilut, Montour, Dahlin all guys being encouraged to play offense and rush with the puck but all getting caught out of position and displaying terrible D fundamentals. I think we may have ruined Risto over the years and fear we might do the same with Dahlin, although he does seem more potentially defensively able.   imo he has the O skills what he should be concentrating on now is D and D fundamentals and I'm not seeing that we are doing that. He needs a pairing like they do in Boston with Chara beside the new kid for a year or two.  We need more solid stay at home guys to balance with these O oriented guys and I am hoping Borgen will be one of those.

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

Totally. Gets turned around a lot too and is out of position. Tries to use his speed (which is his asset) but it gets him caught leaving the front of the net open all too often. 

This is kind of what worries me about how this Housley style D is being built. Risto, Pilut, Montour, Dahlin all guys being encouraged to play offense and rush with the puck but all getting caught out of position and displaying terrible D fundamentals. I think we may have ruined Risto over the years and fear we might do the same with Dahlin, although he does seem more potentially defensively able.   imo he has the O skills what he should be concentrating on now is D and D fundamentals and I'm not seeing that we are doing that. He needs a pairing like they do in Boston with Chara beside the new kid for a year or two.  We need more solid stay at home guys to balance with these O oriented guys and I am hoping Borgen will be one of those.

Or make Pilut a winger, bets get back on better than half the team, can stick handle, has a good shot.  Move Borgen up for D with McCabe and figure out the third pair. Montour and Dahlin 1st pair.  Trade Risto for a center.

Edited by North Buffalo

16 minutes ago, inkman said:

This team desperately needs a player like him in their lineup.  Kids got moxie.  Give me a half dozen of those. 

Yeah, I’m not much for fighting or a lot of the rough stuff in general, but this team does need a little more heart. ❤️

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Curtisp5286 said:

Yeah, I’m not much for fighting or a lot of the rough stuff in general, but this team does need a little more heart. ❤️

We need players who don't have to assess a situation to jump and and wreak havoc.  I see bad things = I do bad things.  Not all this, I didn't see the hit or understand the situation nonsense.  It's not teachable, so find these guys.  No offense to Will Borgen but he alone isn't going to be enough.  They need 5 of these guys.  Please somehow read this JBot. 

• Like (+1) 1

I don't have any idea who Tyler Randell is..... but we need someone like him on the Sabres. Veteran leader who takes time with the young guys to show them what they need to know, and to be professional hockey players. In my mind the more important piece of the puzzle that was missing this past season was the lack of leadership from the players themselves. Eichel may be captain, but I didn't see it from him. Give me Tyler Randell, or his NHL level equivalent. That is the missing link that the Sabres need most. 

Didn't mean to steal the thread. I hope Borgen shows up bigger, stronger and ready to play next fall. If his skills improve to match his attitude, we've got a nice player for the next 10 years.

• nfreeman changed the title to The Will Borgen Thread, Now with Video
This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.