EPIC Simon/White rant

Eleven

Meh. If blaming the good players is what we do, what sports radio does is put the worst callers on the air so they "represent" the fans and be lambasted. If you look at how WGR has subsequently plastered this bit all over everywhere, the caller was probably a shill.

Edited by PASabreFan
  • Like (+1) 1

Just now, PASabreFan said:

Meh. If blaming the good players is what we do, what sports radio does is put the worst callers on the air so they "represent" the fans. If you look at how WGR has subsequently plastered this bit all over everywhere, the caller was probably a shill.

Maybe. I've been around since day one of this franchise and I'm no fan of WGR by any stretch. They suck too. Nevertheless what White said is true.

2 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

Meh. If blaming the good players is what we do, what sports radio does is put the worst callers on the air so they "represent" the fans and be lambasted. If you look at how WGR has subsequently plastered this bit all over everywhere, the caller was probably a shill.

You should consider re-thinking you analysis.  The quality of callers is generally low as a rule.  Not too different, actually, than message boards.  We are lucky here that our board is significantly above the average in terms of an internet message board.  I don't post or even visit other boards for the same reason a lot of quality people don't call radio shows.

I have no problem they using that moment to attract attention - that's the kind of thing they should be doing.

14 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

There are people on this very board, blaming Eichel. 

You know what's ***** dumb? Blaming the guy leading the team in everything but goals. You know what wins games, talent. Scandella, Sobotka, Larsson, Zemgus, Wilson are all garbage and need to go. Why don't we blame Dahlin, why wasn't he better? 

HOUSLEY IS TRASH! The league adjusted to him in December and because he is complete trash he did nothing. 

There is no process, or culture, or learning to win. That's all bs. You are either good enough or you are not. Jack Eichel is good enough. 

Edited by LGR4GM
  • Like (+1) 3

10 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

There are people on this very board, blaming Eichel. 

You know what's ***** dumb? Blaming the guy leading the team in everything but goals. You know what wins games, talent. Scandella, Sobotka, Larsson, Zemgus, Wilson are all garbage and need to go. Why don't we blame Dahlin, why wasn't he better? 

HOUSLEY IS TRASH! The league adjusted to him in December and because he is complete trash he did nothing. 

There is no process, or culture, or learning to win. That's all bs. You are either good enough or you are not. Jack Eichel is good enough. 

Who is blaming Eichel for what? He shouldn't be immune from criticism. It all sounds like another strawman. "You think Jack can be better? I can't believe you think Jack's the reason we suck!"

• Like (+1) 1

17 hours ago, kas23 said:

I’m excited. I just don’t think we can obtain good enough player on our roster that would steal the spotlight from Eichel. He was supposed to impose his will on this team and carry it. He hasn’t. Either he can’t or he won’t. I don’t know  

We were all looking for a savior, but he isn’t it. Unfortunately, all he’s done with us is lose. Maybe he’s ok with that now. I can’t blame him. So, the quicker we can get someone to shoulder this team with him, the better. I just don’t see how this can happen when Eichel himself is our only bargaining chip. 

4 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

Who is blaming Eichel for what? He shouldn't be immune from criticism. It all sounds like another strawman. "You think Jack can be better? I can't believe you think Jack's the reason we suck!"

There ya go. So yes it is a strawman in the sense that it is being used by others to explain why the team is bad. They are bad in spite of Eichel, not because. 

Let's hear your valid criticism of Eichel, right here and now. What valid thing has he not done for you? Now also compare that to literally the entire rest of the team. 

Edited by LGR4GM

1 minute ago, Zamboni said:

Meh ...  I guess that passes for EPIC nowadays? 

For those guys it is.  They're normally pretty friendly.

30 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

If you look at how WGR has subsequently plastered this bit all over everywhere, the caller was probably a shill.

Only if it was an April Fool's Day joke.  Because they normally don't do this.

45 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

I was a bit surprised at how seamlessly Simon was able to keep his rant going at first.  Once he paused, he lost his flow the rest of the way, but at first it seemed like he's definitely been thinking on this one for a while.

2 hours ago, Radar said:

Jeremy is so right on. We're famous for blaming our best players. 

Suggesting that Eichel is "the problem" is of course ludicrous.

Suggesting that he is without blame in this ***** show is also ludicrous.

He has his part to play in all this just like everyone else. 

Remember, the bar is a lot higher for him than most guys on the team.

That's his burden.

• Like (+1) 3

As if to prove my point, Schopp and the Bulldog just put on a caller who said the Bills needed a place kicker to win games and the Sabres should call up goons and fighters from Rochester. Then the Bulldog went into Jeremy White mode and started his yelling and durdurdur (hat tip: Robviously). Come on, now. Our sports teams suck and so does our sports talk on days like this.

And you wonder why no one who's smart gets on the air. They can't have that. It doesn't make for good listening. Thus, no one who's smart calls. I sometimes wonder about the mentality of some of the callers and whether using them for this purpose and abusing them on the air could lead to negative outcomes in real peoples' lives.

1 hour ago, LGR4GM said:

Let's hear your valid criticism of Eichel, right here and now. What valid thing has he not done for you? Now also compare that to literally the entire rest of the team. 

No thanks.

Edited by PASabreFan
  • Like (+1) 3

2 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

I keep saying the same thing! We ***** up the rebuild, not the tank. 

Not "we", Murray.

It was clear what his idea was. McDavid with a tough scoring winger (Kane), ROR as 2 way 2C. Lehner emerging as a #1 goalie. So you get Eichel, okay still good. Add Nylander to complete top line but the plan went to s##t.

In hindsight, a defense anchored by Risto, Zadorov and Meyers would look pretty good now. Compher adding more toughness and solid secondary scoring. White or someone similar with the Lehner pick...........we might not be a cup contender, but I think that would be a playoff team on the rise.  

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

Boeser with the Lehner pick. 

You're good at stirring the pot, but you can't add ingredients to actually make the soup. 

I like that lol. No, it's apparent you're not up for any kind of discussion, so what's the point?

44 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

I like that lol. No, it's apparent you're not up for any kind of discussion, so what's the point?

I'd love a discussion. Problem is I don't think a discussion that starts with fixing the sabres by fixing eichel is worth much. You could change my mind but honestly, you more often come in, say something and stir the pot (which is good), but then you just step back and don't argue your point or bring in facts to back things up. It's like a hit n run. Hence my stirring the pot but not making the soup. 

51 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

I'd love a discussion. Problem is I don't think a discussion that starts with fixing the sabres by fixing eichel is worth much. You could change my mind but honestly, you more often come in, say something and stir the pot (which is good), but then you just step back and don't argue your point or bring in facts to back things up. It's like a hit n run. Hence my stirring the pot but not making the soup. 

All I said was he shouldn't be immune from criticism. Criticism does not equal blaming.

• Like (+1) 2

10 hours ago, PASabreFan said:

All I said was he shouldn't be immune from criticism. Criticism does not equal blaming.

Okay, and what criticism do you have for Eichel? How does that compare to criticism of other players? For example:

Eichel needs to shoot more and demand the puck more.

Sobotka needs to gtfo this team because he is terrible at hockey. 

I don't think anyone is looking past Eichel's flaws. His flaws aren't the reason for the second half season collapse. The sum of his flaws don't equal a player who should be removed from the team because of them.  There is no reason to discuss his flaws at the moment, except when someone thinks he should be removed from the team because of them. 

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, ... said:

I don't think anyone is looking past Eichel's flaws. His flaws aren't the reason for the second half season collapse. The sum of his flaws don't equal a player who should be removed from the team because of them.  There is no reason to discuss his flaws at the moment, except when someone thinks he should be removed from the team because of them. 

That's what I am driving at. This team was a festering dumpster fire for 4 months. I want to know why and Eichel isn't one of the reasons why. 

Housley, Sobotka, Scandella, Risto (maybe?), Zemgus, Bogo (maybe?), Sheary were all contributors to the collapse. You could honestly add in Skinner who regressed so hard and fast to his mean sh% it left a gaping hole that no one was able to fill in. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.