Poll: When Does Phil Get the Ax

Kruppstahl

POLL: When Does Housley Get Fired?  

105 members have voted

1. 1. When Does Phil Get the Ax?

• Sunday April 7th, the day after our season ends
    • Tuesday April 9th
    • Wednesday April 10th, after the player exit interviews with those playing a role in the decision
    • Some random time several weeks or more after the season ends but before the start of next season
    • Phil doesn't get fired; he starts next season as Head Coach
    • After one of our remaining games but prior to season's end

This poll is closed to new votes

18 hours ago, Radar said:

Don't believe they really will fire Phil. They may actually fear promoting a league wide perception of total incompetence which may make good candidates hesitate to come here. That goes for GM and coach. I could see Pegula possibly hiring a czar type to oversee but I think odds are Pegula thinks he's capable of running the show. So, a few assistants get axed salvaging GM/coach for awhile is my guess.

Concur.  Further, I doubt Q and AV come here.  Why would they?   Seattle job is out there promising a fresh start. 

In October and November the national hockey media praised Phil and liked seeing the Sabres ascend.  You don’t hear league wide questioning of PH (think Rolston) either.    The scuttlebut is the roster is young and they need a lot of help at center.  

Phil is a respected HOF guy.  TPegs will give him another year.  It’s up to Bots to improve the talent and bring in better leadership.  

This is is not what I would do.  It’s my prediction of Pegula/Botterill. 

Edited by Pimlach

3 hours ago, dejeanerret said:

I don't know how Sabres can sell Housley coming back for another season to their fan base or sponsors.  That's like selling Ice to Eskimos.

Coaches have been fired for lesser reasons.  Besides a 10 game stretch, this has been one of the worst teams in hockey during Housley's 2 years as coach.

We added an elite D talent, a potential 40g scorer, and allowed Eichel and Reinhart to up their games, and we are still horrible.

Most importantly, it all comes down to players performance, effort, and body language.  Right now this team has no confidence, no grit, and that's a reflection of coaching.  Housley isn't reaching them.

If anything, a change is needed to shock the players system.  They need a coach that can exude confidence in them and get them to perform.

From Eichel's comments it seems he's more pissed at the players than Housley, but at the end of the day it's Housley's job to ensure the players are doing theirs, and if they aren't, he needs to lose his.

The team has no confidence, no grit, no energy, nothing.  That is usually put on the coach.  It was put on Bylsma, and now Housley.  I actually think it has more to do with this group of players   The core of the talent has never committed to win anything and most of the veterans are not effective players, so they are ignored.   

While I don’t think we should keep PH I think we might.  

With all the doom and gloom in Sabreland it is quite refreshing and somewhat surprising to see that many do not see coachsie Housie being fired.

Edited by New Scotland (NS)
my feeling are well known on this, but for the record I voted that he won't be fired and will start next season as head coach

32 minutes ago, New Scotland (NS) said:

With all the doom and gloom in Sabreland it is quite refreshing and somewhat surprising to see that many do not see coachsie Housie being fired.

Surprising, yes.  Refreshing?  Why?

• Thanks (+1) 1

20 hours ago, sweetlou said:

I believe JBotts will hang onto Phil for a couple of reasons.  One it looks bad on him if he fires his coach after only two years. I think he will at least give him the first 20 games next year. If they are below .500 then he gets canned.  I think JBotts wants to add something different in the coaching staff. I look for the Hajt and Payne being let go and bringing in two other assistants.  

I believe this team needs a no nonsense type of coach who has the pedigree to tell Jack and some of the other young guys how it is and what it takes to be a professional team, but I don't think JBotts makes the move.

20 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

He won't fire him because of the optics on himself. One of the reasons I think we need a director above him. An iron hand. You think the Bruins are the Bruins because of Sweeney? No, it's cause the big guy Cam Neely hovers over everything like a god and instills his attitude throughout. 

If JBots fires Phil now he is acknowledging he (JBot) made a bad hire and if we don't improve right away next coach the optics shift to JBot (replaced the players, replaced the coach.........GM is next domino). If however he makes a few additions/subtractions and keeps Phil he can still fire him during next year to buy himself another chance and shift the blame. 

GMs fire "their guy" all the time.

3 hours ago, Pimlach said:

In October and November the national hockey media praised Phil and liked seeing the Sabres ascend.  You don’t hear league wide questioning of PH (think Rolston) either.    The scuttlebut is the roster is young and they need a lot of help at center.  

Not League wide I suppose, but Bob McKenzie recently mentioned Buffalo as a team that could be making a coaching change.  He usually is pretty on top of things and plugged in to talk around the league.

For the record, I think they make a change after the season is over.

Edited by Curtisp5286
  • Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Curtisp5286 said:

Not League wide I suppose, but Bob McKenzie recently mentioned Buffalo as a team that could be making a coaching change.  He usually is pretty on top of things and plugged in to talk around the league.

Yeh mentioned Phil and the Boogie man from FLA being on the hot seat

Edited by North Buffalo

I voted for the first day after the end of the regular season, but after player interviews is certainly plausible.

At this point I'll be pretty surprised if he isn't canned.  The team looks like they quit on Howie and the season for the last 20 games.

1 hour ago, Eleven said:

If they fire him during the offseason, I'm going to be really angry.  If that's the decision, then execute on it in-season so they can give someone else an audition.

I think the audition is happening right now at the Blue Cross Arena.

I voted that Phil would be here again next season. Not because that is what I want to happen, but because successful organizations have continuity and that may outweigh Phil's bad coaching.

5 hours ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Chris Taylor will be named Sabres head coach as soon as the Amerks end their season.

Although promoting Chris Taylor may be the best of both worlds (keeping continuity with a better performing coach). I'd be down with that.

1 hour ago, Curtisp5286 said:

For the record, I think they make a change after the season is over.

Thanks for the update.

I do not think there is a team in the league that would not be making a change give the performance of the team the past two years.  Just not sure Terry will do it based on what he said in the past. 

21 minutes ago, Pimlach said:

Thanks for the update.

I do not think there is a team in the league that would not be making a change give the performance of the team the past two years.  Just not sure Terry will do it based on what he said in the past. 

In his career as HC of the Sabres, Ron Rolston had a PTS% of .431.

Phil Housley is looking down the barrel at .410.  Anyone wanting that for "coaching consistency" need to let that sink in.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

In December it was inconceivable.

In January it was remotely possible.

In February it was plausible.

In March it was beyond conceivable.

In April it is to the point where their firing PH is almost (>95%) a given. There is no argument, that I am aware of, that can be made in his defense. Sad, but true. Earlier this season I would have never thought it possible as I viewed this year as the last year of the rebuild and Phil would be here next season with a competitive team. Can't say that now. Not even close.

Edited by oregelbundet oregelbunden
bad grammar and spelling, a venial sin
  • Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, Pimlach said:

Concur.  Further, I doubt Q and AV come here.  Why would they?   Seattle job is out there promising a fresh start. 

Phil is a respected HOF guy.  TPegs will give him another year.  It’s up to Bots to improve the talent and bring in better leadership.  

Kypreos questioned it Saturday night after the early games concluded on Sportsnet and no one stuck up for Phil on the panel. They seemed saddened by what had transpired in Buffalo but no one questioned that the club had quit on Phil.

9 hours ago, Pimlach said:

Regarding the Seattle job, isn’t that going to Dave Tippett?  I believe he is already employed by the organization in an advisory role, with the inside track on being their first HC.

Q and AV may still not want to work for Buffalo though.  Who knows.

Edited by Curtisp5286

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.