Poll: When Does Phil Get the Ax

Kruppstahl

POLL: When Does Housley Get Fired?  

105 members have voted

1. 1. When Does Phil Get the Ax?

• Sunday April 7th, the day after our season ends
    • Tuesday April 9th
    • Wednesday April 10th, after the player exit interviews with those playing a role in the decision
    • Some random time several weeks or more after the season ends but before the start of next season
    • Phil doesn't get fired; he starts next season as Head Coach
    • After one of our remaining games but prior to season's end

This poll is closed to new votes

I don't think the player interviews are necessary to justify Phil's release.  They either do it or don't.  With Q and AV on the market, if they're going to make the move, they need to move right away.  Firing him before the last game, though, would be a bad look.  After that, not a soul in the universe would blame them.

I went with Sunday because I think they need to make the move emphatic for public consumption. Leaving the fans hanging for several days on top of everything else is just cruel. Also, waiting until the player interviews are over will create an impression the players got (another) coach fired.

• Like (+1) 3

I think it will come a few days after the season ends and they have had some time to discuss things, do the player exit interviews, etc. 

I do hope they act quickly though, as mentioned above.

Just now, PASabreFan said:

I went with Sunday because I think they need to make the move emphatic for public consumption. Leaving the fans hanging for several days on top of everything else is just cruel. Also, waiting until the player interviews are over will create an impression the players got (another) coach fired.

Interesting and valid points.

19 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

Don't believe they really will fire Phil. They may actually fear promoting a league wide perception of total incompetence which may make good candidates hesitate to come here. That goes for GM and coach. I could see Pegula possibly hiring a czar type to oversee but I think odds are Pegula thinks he's capable of running the show. So, a few assistants get axed salvaging GM/coach for awhile is my guess.

• Like (+1) 3

I believe JBotts will hang onto Phil for a couple of reasons.  One it looks bad on him if he fires his coach after only two years. I think he will at least give him the first 20 games next year. If they are below .500 then he gets canned.  I think JBotts wants to add something different in the coaching staff. I look for the Hajt and Payne being let go and bringing in two other assistants.  

I believe this team needs a no nonsense type of coach who has the pedigree to tell Jack and some of the other young guys how it is and what it takes to be a professional team, but I don't think JBotts makes the move.

Edited by sweetlou
  • Like (+1) 2

He won't fire him because of the optics on himself. One of the reasons I think we need a director above him. An iron hand. You think the Bruins are the Bruins because of Sweeney? No, it's cause the big guy Cam Neely hovers over everything like a god and instills his attitude throughout. 

If JBots fires Phil now he is acknowledging he (JBot) made a bad hire and if we don't improve right away next coach the optics shift to JBot (replaced the players, replaced the coach.........GM is next domino). If however he makes a few additions/subtractions and keeps Phil he can still fire him during next year to buy himself another chance and shift the blame. 

I'd let go PH before the year end presser and the interviews.  Before the presser to preserve him going through the reporters gauntlet.  And before the player interviews so they can be honest with no fear of any retribution.

Edited by Tondas
  • Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, sweetlou said:

I believe JBotts will hang onto Phil for a couple of reasons.  One it looks bad on him if he fires his coach after only two years. I think he will at least give him the first 20 games next year. If they are below .500 then he gets canned.  I think JBotts wants to add something different in the coaching staff. I look for the Hajt and Payne being let go and bringing in two other assistants.  

I believe this team needs a no nonsense type of coach who has the pedigree to tell Jack and some of the other young guys how it is and what it takes to be a professional team, but I don't think JBotts makes the move.

25 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

He won't fire him because of the optics on himself. One of the reasons I think we need a director above him. An iron hand. You think the Bruins are the Bruins because of Sweeney? No, it's cause the big guy Cam Neely hovers over everything like a god and instills his attitude throughout. 

If JBots fires Phil now he is acknowledging he (JBot) made a bad hire and if we don't improve right away next coach the optics shift to JBot (replaced the players, replaced the coach.........GM is next domino). If however he makes a few additions/subtractions and keeps Phil he can still fire him during next year to buy himself another chance and shift the blame. 

What has Botterill done to this point that makes you think he is particularly concerned about how he is viewed? To me, he seems to be the antithesis of a politically motivated Russ Brandon type.

Conversely, why do you think he looks worse firing a coach he hired, than he would retaining a coach that closed the season with one regulation win in its last 22 game and counting? To me, retaining a coach with that kind of record is the bad optics. Listening to the fanbase, they seem to agree.

• Like (+1) 1

Terry needs to look at this situation like he did in his fracking business.  PH is an asset just like a new gas well is an asset.  He drilled for gas for 2 years and the well came up dry despite all the initial reports that there was an abundance of gas there.  Would he keep drilling that well and throw good money after bad, year after year?  If he's smart, no.  He'd cut his losses and move on to another well (Coach).  Terry, as we know with his crying at the mention of Perreault's name. takes human decisions too personally.  Look, PH will be fine.  He's already rich and will still get paid for another year on his current contract.  He should be concerned about the feelings of the people that support his business, i.e. fans and sponsors.

• Like (+1) 3

2 hours ago, Tondas said:

Terry needs to look at this situation like he did in his fracking business.  PH is an asset just like a new gas well is an asset.  He drilled for gas for 2 years and the well came up dry despite all the initial reports that there was an abundance of gas there.  Would he keep drilling that well and throw good money after bad, year after year?  If he's smart, no.  He'd cut his losses and move on to another well (Coach).  Terry, as we know with his crying at the mention of Perreault's name. takes human decisions too personally.  Look, PH will be fine.  He's already rich and will still get paid for another year on his current contract.  He should be concerned about the feelings of the people that support his business, i.e. fans and sponsors.

Countering that is that Terry played a very long game in his business, taking — what? — 30 years to finally cash in.

2 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

Countering that is that Terry played a very long game in his business, taking — what? — 30 years to finally cash in.

I'd make the argument that 8 years (and counting) with no playoffs in the NHL is longer than 30 years drilling in the gas business.  Hopefully, Terry gets this right before 30 years! ?

4 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

I don't buy this at all.

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

What about the optics of keeping Housley?!

• Like (+1) 2

5 hours ago, dudacek said:

What has Botterill done to this point that makes you think he is particularly concerned about how he is viewed? To me, he seems to be the antithesis of a politically motivated Russ Brandon type.

Conversely, why do you think he looks worse firing a coach he hired, than he would retaining a coach that closed the season with one regulation win in its last 22 game and counting? To me, retaining a coach with that kind of record is the bad optics. Listening to the fanbase, they seem to agree.

Just an issue of timing. Seen that sort of progression many times in the league over the last few decades. Just the way it usually goes. 

14 minutes ago, Marchand'sNose said:

What about the optics of keeping Housley?!

Only a problem for him if the owner disagrees. If he then sticks by Housley he will be Hextall'd out the door. 

Honestly here's my bottom line. I am 99% sure changing coaches but not these sad sack players will result in yet another narrative of false hope and we will end up next year just like this year only next year it'll be fire JBot since we already did the coach and it'll still end the same. 

8 hours ago, Zamboni said:

No option for “sometime after the last game but before the playoffs begin”. That’s my prediction.

The last day of the regular season is Saturday, April 6th, also the day of our last game.

The playoffs will start a few days later, maybe Wednesday April 10.

That date is a choice. 

I don't know how Sabres can sell Housley coming back for another season to their fan base or sponsors.  That's like selling Ice to Eskimos.

Coaches have been fired for lesser reasons.  Besides a 10 game stretch, this has been one of the worst teams in hockey during Housley's 2 years as coach.

We added an elite D talent, a potential 40g scorer, and allowed Eichel and Reinhart to up their games, and we are still horrible.

Most importantly, it all comes down to players performance, effort, and body language.  Right now this team has no confidence, no grit, and that's a reflection of coaching.  Housley isn't reaching them.

If anything, a change is needed to shock the players system.  They need a coach that can exude confidence in them and get them to perform.

From Eichel's comments it seems he's more pissed at the players than Housley, but at the end of the day it's Housley's job to ensure the players are doing theirs, and if they aren't, he needs to lose his.

• Like (+1) 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.