CWHL Announces it is ceasing operations 5/1.

Brawndo

The leagues needed to be combined, but not like this..

The NWHL was the first to pay it's players and I think it kind of forced the CWHL to follow suit. I'm not sure if that's what led to it's downfall or what.

I watched most of the Beauts games this year, and while Harbor Center was pretty full for most games, some of the away games were not. I have no idea what attendance for the CWHL looks like. I'd happily attend some games if there were any down my way, and I'm still hoping to make a Beauts game next season when I come in for a Sabres game or the holidays depending on what the schedule looks like.

I had been worried about Clarkson's top player (Loren Gabel) going to a Canadian team instead of the Beauts next year, so on the plus side maybe she'll want to come here now.

Apart from 2 teams in Boston, there is little overlap in markets. Maybe too much in and around Toronto, but it can handle it if anywhere can. Although I don't see the NWHL taking on that Chinese team. Calgary seems a bit out there compared to most of the teams, but it's not too far for Minnesota perhaps.

They could at least go from 5 teams to maybe 8, although I don't know how you'd split them. I'd take on Toronto, Montreal and either Calgary or Markham maybe and skuttle the rest. I don't know if they could do 10, which would involve keeping 5/6 of the CWHL. You'd have to move a franchise somewhere.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Doohickie said:

If the business models are so different, this might be a necessary step to a merger.

Yeah. Bettman is on record saying he won't put the NHL's support behind either of the leagues until they figured it out, so I guess this is one way of doing that.

There have already been signs of cross promotion with the NHL beyond what the Pegula's have been doing here in Buffalo, in particular with some NWHL players being at the NHL all-star game this year.

The Metropolitan Riveters have partnered with the NJ Devils, although I'm not sure what the exact details of that are, since I believe the Riveters are still owned by the NWHL.

12 minutes ago, Doohickie said:

Actually I think all but one of the NWHL teams have an NHL partner.

Hmm. I had only ever heard about the Devils and Sabres.

It does look like the Whitecaps are partnered with the Wild last summer just ahead of joining the NWHL and apparently the Pride partnered with the Bruins back in January. The two Boston teams has always been one of the biggest issues between the two leagues. I guess the Pride won out over the Blades even before the CWHL called it quits. Looking at it closer the Blades moved to Worchester last season, probably because from what I can tell most of the fan support in Boston swapped to the Pride already anyways.

I'm not sure who the Connecticut team would partner with since the Whalers are long gone and there aren't any other teams up that way now.

I'm biased, but I feel like the NWHL has been doing a lot of the right things to grow the sport, although their success will definitely be built on the CWHL no matter what happens from here.

Edited by SabresBaltimore
added more detail on Boston

Not exactly related, but I was talking about attendance numbers, apparently the NWHL announced theirs:

• Minnesota: 1,200
  • Buffalo: 1,101
  • Riveters: 721
  • Boston: 706
  • Connecticut: 423

(source :https://www.theicegarden.com/2019/3/28/18285556/nwhl-releases-details-2018-19-season-attendance-merchandise-sales-viewership-growth-dani-rylan)

Connecticut was HORRIBLE this year. The Riveters (despite having some high profile players like Amanda Kessel and being the defending champions) weren't much better, at least record-wise.

Connecticut may have had better attendance early in the season by the game I saw the Beauts play there at the end of the season the arena looked like a ghost town.

Apparently between tickets and merchandise the Whitecaps turned a profit this year.

I'd be curious to see what the CWHL's attendance numbers looked like by comparison. I'd think Toronto and Montreal would both have good attendance at least, but the CWHL haven't been very transparent I guess.

On the topic of combining the leagues I didn't realize CWHL was nonprofit, while NWHL is not. Also travel between countries, even if they keep to a weekend only schedule for now may be too much for some of players since all of them need full time jobs to earn a living while trying to play hockey at professional level.

Just now, GASabresIUFAN said:

According to what I’ve read the NWHL will likely add the Tor and Mon franchises from Canada. 

That seems likely as there were apparently already rumors about adding them prior to last season. I've also seen they were looking at both Pittsburgh and DC. I'm not sure DC could support a team. Ovechkin and the Capitals finally wining the cup have certainly seen a rise in popularity of Hockey around here since I moved here back in 2004, but I still don't think there would be enough support.

Depending on where they play and the schedule, I'd consider getting season tickets. At a minimum I'd try to go to all the Beauts games.

The NWHL played its all-star game in Nashville this year, and they partnered with the Predators, including having Shannon Szabados on during a Pred's intermission to help promote the weekend.

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, steveoath said:

Is it time for a fully backed wNHL? 

It sounds like that's what Bettman wants. I'd like to see the NWHL absorb the CWHL teams that it can, but ideally try to get ownership groups for each at the same time instead of being league owned. A lot of these partnerships seems to involve financial help, but it's probably be better if the associated NHL team was maybe the same ownership group, or maybe something closer to what the league does with the AHL?

I guess whatever works best for the players, leagues, sponsors and any ownership they have beyond PSE. I'm not sure what the right answer will be, but hopefully they can figure something out before the fall.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Zamboni said:

I would love to see an even 8 teams. 30-40 game seasons. And at least a best of 3 series in the playoffs 

Yeah. I don't think they afford to absorb too many teams, so you take Toronto, Montreal and which other team? Brampton seems the easiest in terms of travel, especially now that it would have to go international.

Maybe do 2 divisions like:

Minnesota
Toronto
Brampton
Buffalo

Montreal
Boston
Connecticut
New York

I'd hate to not be in with Boston and Montreal, but given where the teams are, I'm not sure how else you'd split it up..

And I agree about the 3 game playoff and more regular season games. I'm just sure if they can afford to expand both in size and games at the same time without some serious surge of investment from say the NHL and/or partnering with NHL teams/ownership.

a bunch more thoughts. divisions?
  • Like (+1) 1

Interesting about the NHL investing. A bit surprising given past statements from Bettman. I'll be curious to see the details.

Will they be selling the teams? Will Toronto and Montreal stay in tact, or brand new teams? How do they handle the draft? NWHL had theirs already. 

I think it's good for both leagues and for Woman's hockey whatever else ends up happening.

Some additional details:

In talks with the existing stakeholders for Toronto/Montreal.

No restricted free agency this year, which should make it easier for players to move around.

24 games next season.

https://www.theicegarden.com/2019/4/2/18292409/nwhl-add-two-canadian-teams-receives-significant-investment-from-nhl-montreal-toronto-bettman-rylan

5 minutes ago, Eleven said:

Maybe it's more hands on with the Beauts.  We have no idea how hands on it is with any of its six sports teams.

I feel like a large part of the Sabres problem is too much interfere from non hockey people at PSE. But I agree, we don't really know.

More details from Linked article

26 minutes ago, SabresBaltimore said:

Interesting about the NHL investing. A bit surprising given past statements from Bettman. I'll be curious to see the details.

Not at all.  I think it had to do with not wanting to pick winners and losers between the two leagues.  One of the leagues going under makes the choice clear.

1 minute ago, Doohickie said:

Not at all.  I think it had to do with not wanting to pick winners and losers between the two leagues.  One of the leagues going under makes the choice clear.

I agree that's part of it. But he's also said he doesn't like the business model of either league. So I'll be curious if their investment comes with conditions. NWHL is an LLC. If they are going to grow, they probably need to incorporate.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.