GDT:Blue Jackets at Sabres 3/31/19 6pm MSG

Brawndo

Just now, PromoTheRobot said:

Maybe they are saving it up for Fan Appreciation Night?

If they don't score in that one, there are going to be a lot of flying Eichel BoooooooBLE Heads!

This off-season, I think we all need to have a serious discussion on SabreSpace regarding the idea of removing the "C" from Eichel and/or trading Eichel. This team flat out quit this season and hasn't exactly impressed the previous two. That's a very bad look for the team captain. Eichel is not even close to a can't-trade talent. He's a very solid 1st line center and an All-Star, but not a generational talent as he was sold to us and not a natural leader of men. His trade return would be enormous and would be an excellent starting point for a proper rebuild by JBots or whoever the new GM becomes.

• Like (+1) 3

2 minutes ago, MillerVaive said:

Those of you who want PH gone, given Pegulas respect for ex Sabres at the helm with PH & JBots, do you think they'd look at bringing Ruff back to coach?

And #1 would you want Ruff back here & do you think Lindy would accept the job?

Ruff may not be a great x's & o's guy, but he wasn't a mannequin behind the bench & his teams always seemed to be disciplined with regards to the system & played hard. Even though i think the game has passed him by at this point. Btw it just goes to show how bad things have gotten here to even consider it.

I'm just thinking of who i'd want here to coach. I'm not a big fan of most of the available coaches out there. Maybe Quennville since he's an intense guy or Rikard Gronborg who's the coach of the Swedish National team since we have so many swedes here lol.

Just curious what you guys thought as a replacement, those of you who want to go that route.

I don't think Back To The Future is a good idea. 

As for Housley, he must be a dead man walking. If not these two years will set some kind of record for survived futility.

My theory is Chris Taylor gets promoted. Not saying anything because the Amerks are playoff bound 

Edited by PromoTheRobot

1 minute ago, Tondas said:

I agree but that's what they said 2 years ago.

Right, they can't keep moving the goalposts. Botterill bears responsibility for how far we have fallen within the implementation of his plan. He's not on the hot seat for me right now, but if they miss the playoffs next year he should be fired. If three seasons wasn't enough just to get in, his plan was poor. Murray got 3 and one of his seasons was an intentional tank. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Marchand'sNose said:

This off-season, I think we all need to have a serious discussion on SabreSpace regarding the idea of removing the "C" from Eichel and/or trading Eichel. This team flat out quit this season and hasn't exactly impressed the previous two. That's a very bad look for the team captain. Eichel is not even close to a can't-trade talent. He's a very solid 1st line center and an All-Star, but not a generational talent as he was sold to us and not a natural leader of men. His trade return would be enormous and would be an excellent starting point for a proper rebuild by JBots or whoever the new GM becomes.

Can't disagree.  Drastic measures must be taken.

4 minutes ago, bunomatic said:

This season has been a wash

An acid wash maybe 

5 minutes ago, Marchand'sNose said:

You could be right. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Thorny said:

Right, they can't keep moving the goalposts. Botterill bears responsibility for how far we have fallen within the implementation of his plan. He's not on the hot seat for me right now, but if they miss the playoffs next year he should be fired. If three seasons wasn't enough just to get in, his plan was poor. Murray got 3 and one of his seasons was an intentional tank. 

How bad is it that the best post-tank season was the first one? 

Botterill should absolutely be on the hot seat. The team has gotten worse with him having turned over almost the entire roster. 

• Like (+1) 2

This is beyond ugly. Nobody wants to pay good money to see some overpaid, no defense playing, no hustle and no Drive having ***** team. Well it was nice knowing you Skinner because why in the hell would he stay in Buffalo. You could throw in at least 5 more losses if he wasnt here. They need to hire some solid hockey guys to fix this ***** show. They are unwatchable.

• Like (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, Thorny said:

Then it won't be Botterill's task to complete. No way he gets 5 seasons to simply field a playoff team. An argument can not be made that that's how long a time period was reasonably necessary to accomplish that.

It further emphasizes how bad the O'Reilly and Kane trades were.   Not getting NHL-ready prospects in return for top 6 fowards adds years to a rebuild that Botterill himself sabatoged.

The Sabres do not have a potential 2C for next season currently in their pipeline.  Botterill traded a first rounder he acquired in his doomed trades for Montour.  Montour is a good player, but he hasn't helped the overall team defense, and he doesn't fill the top 6 forwards gap.

There's no urgency in Botterill's plan, and it's going to cost him.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

While I don't want a re-tread Sabres coach or yet another alumni, I can't believe for a second that Ruff or Nolan wouldn't have this team playing better, supporting puck battles, and showing improvement over the season. I also think Ruff would have consistently sat Mitts and Dahlin for rest/recovery days, knowing that it's a grind.

But ... a grittier, battling team is also not the roster JBot has assembled. The GM and coach must be in concert.

• Like (+1) 3

4 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

I don't think Back To The Future is a good idea. 

Me neither really. But in all the fire Phil threads & posts, rarely will you ever see anyone come up with a solution or replacement, hence why I was asking for other potential coaches we could bring in. Its one thing to fire Phil for the sakes of firing him, its another thing to bring in a quality coach who can take us to the promise land.

If anyone ever does name names, Coach Q is the name most spoken. Then McLellan or Vigneault  who I wouldn't want. And then you'll hear Sheldon Keafe once & awhile, who hasnt ever coached in the NHL before & i really dont think we need another rookie coach right now.

Just curious if anyones got a potential coaches name to hope for haha

1 minute ago, jad1 said:

It further emphasizes how bad the O'Reilly and Kane trades were.   Not getting NHL-ready prospects in return for top 6 fowards adds years to a rebuild that Botterill himself sabatoged.

The Sabres do not have a potential 2C for next season currently in their pipeline.  Botterill traded a first rounder he acquired in his doomed trades for Montour.  Montour is a good player, but he hasn't helped the overall team defense, and he doesn't fill the top 6 forwards gap.

There's no urgency in Botterill's plan, and it's going to cost him.

I didn't want Kane long term for a bunch of reasons, but it's hard not to think at least a little about what having him, O'Reilly, AND Skinner here would have looked like. It would have been doable with a little cap massaging. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, TrueBlueGED said:

How bad is it that the best post-tank season was the first one? 

Botterill should absolutely be on the hot seat. The team has gotten worse with him having turned over almost the entire roster. 

It's hard to argue.

People will point to Rochester but much of that team actually bears Murray's fingerprints. Olofsson, Nylander, Asplund, CJ Smith. Botterill added Redmond and O'Regan but I'd chalk their core and therefore success more up to Murray overall. 

Just now, DarthEbriate said:

While I don't want a re-tread Sabres coach or yet another alumni, I can't believe for a second that Ruff or Nolan wouldn't have this team playing better, supporting puck battles, and showing improvement over the season. I also think Ruff would have consistently sat Mitts and Dahlin for rest/recovery days, knowing that it's a grind.

But ... a grittier, battling team is also not the roster JBot has assembled. The GM and coach must be in concert.

Nolan might have them play with more grit, but the team would definitely play with more structure in the defensive zone under Ruff.

• Like (+1) 1

I think PH has to go.  However, if JBot keeps him, he should tie himself to PH and state at the beginning of the year, if no playoffs, both he and PH resign.  We know Terry is clueless so this takes the pressure off him since he won't have to fire anybody, they will leave voluntarily.  Probably not realistic but this fan base is as irate as I have ever seen.   One year, no exceptions or excuses.

Edited by Tondas
  • Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, DarthEbriate said:

Please, Ted Nolan is not an NHL coach. 

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.