Who is here next year?

dudacek

Opening day roster 2019/20  

69 members have voted

1. 1. Select the defencemen you think Botterill will have on the roster on opening day next year (Up to eight)

2. 2. Select the forwards you think Botterill will have on the roster on opening day next year (Up to 14)

3. 3. Select players you hope aren’t in blue and gold to start next year

5 hours ago, Marchand'sNose said:

Who's the one clown that hopes Sobotka is on the roster next season?!

At the very least (not getting into the coaching staff and the prospects and the young core at the moment), every player on the roster over the age of 27 needs to go: Sobotka, Pominville, Moulson, Tennyson, Hunwick, Scandella, Bogosian, Okposo, Hutton. Every single one of these losers ranges from below average to atrocious on the ice. But perhaps even worse, none of them provides the veteran leadership this roster sorely needs to lift the younger players out from this locker room miasma.

Most of you want Bogosian and Hutton back?! WTF?!

Bogo and Hutton are fine to keep.    The rest can go.  

I'm apparently in the minority, but I'd like both goalies gone.  I don't think either one is good enough, and this team is dying for consistently strong goaltending.

I also voted to jettison Bogo.  I'm glad he's physically recovered, and I like the elements of toughness and standing up for teammates that he provides, but I thought his D-zone play really tailed off in the 2nd half of the season.

42 minutes ago, nfreeman said:

I'm apparently in the minority, but I'd like both goalies gone.  I don't think either one is good enough, and this team is dying for consistently strong goaltending.

I also voted to jettison Bogo.  I'm glad he's physically recovered, and I like the elements of toughness and standing up for teammates that he provides, but I thought his D-zone play really tailed off in the 2nd half of the season.

I’m fine with all that.  I’ve been wanting Bogo gone since he got here.  Maybe it’s the Atl thing.  I never liked his game.  He lacks hockey IQ imho.

2 hours ago, nfreeman said:

I’m really coming around on this. Especially after watching Linus ***** the bed again last night. Likeable kid and that’s bought him the grace of the board, but he has been worse than Lehner ever was.

We need to either move on from Linus and bring in another 25-year-old ready to grasp the number one role, or bring in a real number one to play the bulk of the games, cross our fingers Linus can rediscover his game and move on from Hutton.

Hutton will never be more than a backup and Linus has too many questions to burden our fragile team with another performance like we’ve seen in 2019. 

We need to make the playoffs. And to make that happen, this group of players needs a goalie feeding their confidence, not making them second-guess every move.

We may have the worst duo in the league. As far as I’m concerned, Botterill’s decision on goaltending hurt us more this year than his O’Reilly trade.

Edited by dudacek
  • Like (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, Torpedo Forecheck said:

LMAO! Somebody wanted to get rid of Eichel?........... Just waive his ass now. The only way he goes on my team is for an overwhelming offer that improves the team. Jeez blame the only thing that isn't a problem-nice problem analysis.

LOL   It was not me but I doubt that whoever did it simply wanted to waive him.      There are trades in the NHL you know. 

1 hour ago, Torpedo Forecheck said:

LMAO! Somebody wanted to get rid of Eichel?........... Just waive his ass now. The only way he goes on my team is for an overwhelming offer that improves the team. Jeez blame the only thing that isn't a problem-nice problem analysis.

I won't hide, it was me. I think he is a quitter and a baby. Just my opinion,  now have at it and let the insults begin. Lol

P.S.  Do not want him waived, do not know how that was implied. Trade 

On 3/31/2019 at 4:46 AM, Pimlach said:

Bogo and Hutton are fine to keep.    The rest can go.  

I'm not arguing with the idea that the rest can go, but I think we've already done enough saving cap money. Pommer's money is done, Moulson is over, Berglund money free, ROR money saved..............it's time to spend some of it.

My question though is who will want to come here? If we were showing a hot young core and were looking like a rising rebuild like say the Rangers, then maybe some solid vets would sign as FAs but right now I think nobody will want to come here and be in a bottom feeding pile of crap unless they just wanted to coast to retirement on a fat over-payday. If we do not add 2 or 3 solid FAs minimum I see no way we will be any better next year than this.

• Like (+1) 1

Bogosian is f-ing terrible.  As long as he is on this team and eating a decent amount of minutes, we're going to have issues.

Watch how often he passes the puck onto the tape.  It's rare.  He loves to throw breakout passes to general areas, not stick blades, and put the puck in a place/manner that means it will not be handled by the intended recipient.

Leads to a lack of offense, lack of possession, and keeps the team reeling in a defensive posture, usually inside it's own zone or the neutral zone.

The fact that most of our defensemen play in this manner is a huge, maybe even central, reason why we suck so badly.

37 minutes ago, Ogelthorpe said:

I won't hide, it was me. I think he is a quitter and a baby. Just my opinion,  now have at it and let the insults begin. Lol

Just a joke about waivers dude! I think you're wrong  but you're entitled to the opinion.

• Thanks (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Ogelthorpe said:

Trade was explicitly stated in the opening post. You’re good.

Id trade any Sabre including Eichel if I thought the return was going to help the Sabres.

But first line centres are very hard to find, and I’d need one in return. Think Turgeon/Lafontaine, or Lindros/Forsberg

Edited by dudacek
  • Like (+1) 1

I will be here next year, probably on and off through the lazy summer. I plan on taking an off season hiatus to Colorado for 9 or 10 days, may even post some pics of the Monarch Pass, Telluride, Durango area if I can ever figure out how lol...………...but unfortunately for ya'll, I'll be here ?

So who is here for sure next season?

Forwards:  Eichel, Reinhart, Skinner, Erod, Sheary, Mitts and KO (who is going to take that contract anyway).

Defense: Dahlin and Montour

Who is probably going to be here:

Forwards: 2 of Nylander, Olofsson and Thompson, possibly all 3.

Defense: McCabe, Bogosian and Pilut

Goalies: Hutton

Everyone else, I can see getting traded, not re-signed, demoted, waived or returned to the minors

UFAs: Tennyson, Moulson and Pominville - None will be re-signed.  Tennyson might get an AHL contract like Redmond did last year.

RFAs: Girgensons, Larsson, Ullmark, Smith, Elie - Do any of these guys move the needle.  Maybe Larsson because of his PK play and we need centers.  I think Ullmark has played his way of late out of Buffalo.

Players with One year left on their deals: Scandella, Hunwick, Nelson, Wilson, and Sobotka.  Do we need or want any of these guys back?  Maybe Wilson for forward depth.  Right now I'm trading Scandella, demoting Hunwick, Nelson and Sobotka as I don't think there is a trade market for any of them.  No buyouts.  Demoting Wilson and Nelson won't hurt us cap wise.  Demoting Sobotka would cost us 2.4 in cap for one year or a  buyout costs us 1.5 next season and 1 mill the following one.  Demoting Hunwick costs us 1.1 next season in cap.

Lastly that leaves Ristolainen.  Jbot has a choice here.  Find him the right partner to help cover up his defensive issues or trade him to help get a 2nd line center.  My guess is Jbot opts for option B.

Edited by GASabresIUFAN

13 hours ago, dudacek said:

Trade was explicitly stated in the opening post. You’re good.

Id trade any Sabre including Eichel if I thought the return was going to help the Sabres.

But first line centres are very hard to find, and I’d need one in return. Think Turgeon/Lafontaine, or Lindros/Forsberg

Interesting analogy with Turgeon. Pierre was traded in the fall of his fifth season despite being a 40-goal and 100-point guy and well over a point a game guy in the playoffs. IIRC landing Patty had a lot to do with turning the fan base on and trying to build public support for a new arena. By 1994-95 Mucks had a pretty high-priced team in such a small market, then was told to tear it down, which he did, masterfully. The Sabres were back in the playoffs after just one year out of them. But I digress...

It worked out OK for Patty and the Sabres and even better for Turgeon.

14 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

If we do not add 2 or 3 solid FAs minimum I see no way we will be any better next year than this.

A very sobering and hope removing thought. It'll be hard to witness another season which is "in family" with the recent past.

Finishing the season in a huge slump doesn't help us in the Skinner sweepstakes. Why would he want to return....???

Let's WOE Buffalo!

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.