Who is here next year?

dudacek

Opening day roster 2019/20  

69 members have voted

1. 1. Select the defencemen you think Botterill will have on the roster on opening day next year (Up to eight)

2. 2. Select the forwards you think Botterill will have on the roster on opening day next year (Up to 14)

3. 3. Select players you hope aren’t in blue and gold to start next year

A few polls here designed to get a sense of what Sabrespace is thinking.

The first two are a peek into what you think Botterill is planning: what you expect him to do, regardless of your personal opinion on the players.

The third is about what you want him to do: players he should trade or walk away from because you don’t see them as part of the solution.

I love TSN's Travis Yost.  He is one of the smartest voices following the game of hockey I know of.

He tells me that many of our crap players can be moved.  

If that's true, I hope to see at least half the roster changed for next season.  That may be a little ambitious, but that was the conclusion I came to making my selections in the poll.

This roster is filled with the wrong names and needs a giant influx of new names, including 4, 5, or 6 big important names.

It would be fantastic to pick 1st, 2nd, or 3rd in the draft with a little luck.

Edited by Kruppstahl
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Weave said:

I had trouble coming up with enough names to meet the "up to".  What a state of affairs the team is in.

I fully expect contracts will not be offered to Pominville, Girgensons and Larsson. I hope they simply waive Sobotka.

We need to sign Skinner, bring in two forwards who are better than Sheary and one who is better than Larsson. ERod gets a spot and of course Sam and Jack.

Let Nylander Olofsson Mittelstadt Thompson Smith Asplund Okposo and Sheary fight it out for the other five spots, and only the strong survive.

Edited by dudacek

I'm surprised at the McCabe number.  What would you all project his next contract to be?  Maybe between 2.5 and 3.5 mil?  

If you don't produce offensively, I'd like you to be really good on the back end and he isn't.  

He's someone I'd like to see go.   

Shedding Pominville, Bogo and Moulsons contract along with Berglands would be a franchise changing move. To have over 15 mil to go out and grab 2 or 3 significant vet pieces to inject great leadership would be an incredible thing this team so desperately needs.

2 hours ago, Zamboni said:

Shedding Pominville, Bogo and Moulsons contract along with Berglands would be a franchise changing move. To have over 15 mil to go out and grab 2 or 3 significant vet pieces to inject great leadership would be an incredible thing this team so desperately needs.

I think the point your making is also the same reason some of us are worried.  15 mil will need to be spent on 2 players (assuming Skinner gets around 9) - I don't think you get 3.  We are a lot more than 2-3 players away from being good.  I think it's more like 8-9, if I'm being optimistic and if some unknowns work out.  

We need this years draft pick to be an 80 point player - then we'll have a chance.  

6 hours ago, dudacek said:

I fully expect contracts will not be offered to Pominville, Girgensons and Larsson. I hope they simply waive Sobotka.

We need to sign Skinner, bring in two forwards who are better than Sheary and one who is better than Larsson. ERod gets a spot and of course Sam and Jack.

Let Nylander Olofsson Mittelstadt Thompson Smith Asplund Okposo and Sheary fight it out for the other five spots, and only the strong survive.

This is the second time I’ve seen the recommendation of waiving Sobotka.  His contract is perfect for a buyout.  You pay 2/3 of a $3m base, and get relief on a $3.5m cap down to $1.5M cap hit.  A waiver, b/c I assume there is no chance he gets picked up by any team, provides no cap relief.  His play is cancerous and we need to end his ties to.Buffalo this June.  I don’t want to hear his name this summer.  

4 minutes ago, Broken Ankles said:

This is the second time I’ve seen the recommendation of waiving Sobotka.  His contract is perfect for a buyout.  You pay 2/3 of a $3m base, and get relief on a $3.5m cap down to $1.5M cap hit.  A waiver, b/c I assume there is no chance he gets picked up by any team, provides no cap relief.  His play is cancerous and we need to end his ties to.Buffalo this June.  I don’t want to hear his name this summer.  

Cancerous? I thought that was the guy they traded away when they got him? Maybe that malignancy rests somewhere else?

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, 7+6=13 said:

I think the point your making is also the same reason some of us are worried.  15 mil will need to be spent on 2 players (assuming Skinner gets around 9) - I don't think you get 3.  We are a lot more than 2-3 players away from being good.  I think it's more like 8-9, if I'm being optimistic and if some unknowns work out.  

We need this years draft pick to be an 80 point player - then we'll have a chance.  

And that 18 year old most likely will need more than a year or two to reach that level of production. Just because a player gets picked top 10 doesn’t automatically mean he comes in to an NHL team and starts pouring in goals.

We have more than enough developing young players.

If you want established developed players, be prepared to get rid of all draft picks, most prospects, and a few roster players you’ll hate to lose.

It must be a perfect mix of developing young players, developed younger players, solid vets, solid goaltending, and a very good coach and system.

i know everyone wants to be good now, right now, but that’s just not gonna happen. 

Im not saying JB has been perfect, but he has, since being the GM turned this roster over a lot in both off seasons. His major fault is not dealing in season. Not his only fault. 

4 hours ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

At first I thought this thread was about site members after another year like the last 8.

3 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

LOL. When I read the title my initial thought was you were asking who (of us, fans) would still be here (Sabrespace) or would we have given up finally.  

Same here.

Just now, PerreaultForever said:

Cancerous? I thought that was the guy they traded away when they got him? Maybe that malignancy rests somewhere else?

Supposedly in the locker room.  But Vlad’s cancer is on full display each night he skates.     Maybe that is why Armstrong insisted on including him in the trade.  

5 minutes ago, Zamboni said:

And that 18 year old most likely will need more than a year or two to reach that level of production. Just because a player gets picked top 10 doesn’t automatically mean he comes in to an NHL team and starts pouring in goals.

We have more than enough developing young players.

If you want established developed players, be prepared to get rid of all draft picks, most prospects, and a few roster players you’ll hate to lose.

It must be a perfect mix of developing young players, developed younger players, solid vets, solid goaltending, and a very good coach and system.

i know everyone wants to be good now, right now, but that’s just not gonna happen. 

Im not saying JB has been perfect, but he has, since being the GM turned this roster over a lot in both off seasons. His major fault is not dealing in season. Not his only fault. 

I know,  the likelihood of us getting that 80 point player right away is slim along with our chances of getting good soon.   

As to the bolded, I could not disagree with you more. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, 7+6=13 said:

I know,  the likelihood of us getting that 80 point player right away is slim along with our chances of getting good soon.   

As to the bolded, I could not disagree with you more. 

Plenty of Developing young players ... it’s true.

Plenty of (potentially) great developing young players ... never typed that.

agree to disagree

Edited by Zamboni

17 minutes ago, Broken Ankles said:

A buyout costs us against the cap this year and again the next.

Waivers costs us $2 million against the cap this year and nothing next.

• Thanks (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Zamboni said:

Plenty of Developing young players ... it’s true.

Plenty of (potentially) great developing young players ... never typed that.

agree to disagree

Ok, then I agree that there's likely enough young developing players to fill out a decent roster, but there's no one in that group scoring 25+ goals and giving you 25-30 assists.  We need production like that or we're in serious trouble.  

1 hour ago, Broken Ankles said:

Supposedly in the locker room.  But Vlad’s cancer is on full display each night he skates.     Maybe that is why Armstrong insisted on including him in the trade.  

I honestly don't think he is that horrible, but he is a really bad fit for our style/system and clearly unmotivated. If he was on the Islanders under Trotz or on Washington or maybe even Boston he'd be fine as a 3rd/4th liner. 

2 hours ago, dudacek said:

A buyout costs us against the cap this year and again the next.

Waivers costs us $2 million against the cap this year and nothing next.

Thought the Wayne Redden rule says max 925k can be saved?  That yields $2.675m next vs. $1.5m on buyout.  Plus the cash saved ($1m) and not having him in system. 

Who's the one clown that hopes Sobotka is on the roster next season?!

At the very least (not getting into the coaching staff and the prospects and the young core at the moment), every player on the roster over the age of 27 needs to go: Sobotka, Pominville, Moulson, Tennyson, Hunwick, Scandella, Bogosian, Okposo, Hutton. Every single one of these losers ranges from below average to atrocious on the ice. But perhaps even worse, none of them provides the veteran leadership this roster sorely needs to lift the younger players out from this locker room miasma.

Most of you want Bogosian and Hutton back?! WTF?!

• Haha (+1) 1

9 hours ago, Broken Ankles said:

Whatever it takes to remove him they should do.  Same with Kyle.  

Pommer too, but I caveat that by saying the Old Guy played hard and smart.  He contributed 15 goals in limited/protected minutes. It’s just time to move on from him. 

9 hours ago, Broken Ankles said:

Armstrong unloaded garbage salary since they had to eat ROR’s $7M bonus. 

The Blues are loving this trade. The got rid of three expendable players, two with contracts that were higher than the output they were getting.  

Thomas and Dunn are developing for them.  

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.