GDT Sabres at The Islanders 7pm MSG

Brawndo

1 minute ago, dudacek said:

We are on a run of 3/15/4.

We have one regulation win in the span, just 6 since Christmas.

I defy someone to find a coach who has survived that kind of collapse.

Phil Housley a man who defies.

2 minutes ago, Thorny said:

If we lose him for nothing he let him walk. 

Semantics, sure. But if we offer $10M/year (too much, yes, but exaggerating for effect) and he elects to go to a contender for $8 M/year (more accurate estimate), that's no letting him walk. That's him choosing to win. And that's good on him.

• Like (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, DarthEbriate said:

Semantics, sure. But if we offer $10M/year (too much, yes, but exaggerating for effect) and he elects to go to a contender for $8 M/year (more accurate estimate), that's no letting him walk. That's him choosing to win. And that's good on him.

Fair enough, but I think the exact opposite is more likely, that another team is willing to offer him a higher AAV than the Sabres. 

Botterill can let him walk if he deems the ask too high, but it doesn't absolve him of needing to replace that production, on top of the other sizable additions he has to make. He might be looking for a Top Line LW and a Top 6 C in the same offseason, just for starters. 

Edited by Thorny

Just now, ... said:

JBot lost Skinner in November. 

Of course, considering how worthless he's been down the stretch...do we need him?

This team broke right around Xmas.  The top line couldn't carry the weight, and the GM refused to bring in secondary scoring, and the coach couldn't figure out how to get more out of the roster.

If the Sabres had a 2nd scoring line that could take pressure off the first, and a defense that could give the forwards confidence to take chances in the offensive zone, Skinner, Eichel and Reinhart probably would have had a stronger finish.

It's an example of what happens when a team tries to get through an entire season with 4 good players and a high school coach, and a clueless GM. 

• Like (+1) 5
  • Thanks (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, ... said:

JBot lost Skinner in November. 

Of course, considering how worthless he's been down the stretch...do we need him?

For the money he is/was apparently asking for I would hope we do not sign him. Maybe this is why Carolina let him go for little return. They already knew he wanted too much. 

This stuff is just painful to sit through now. Just terrible hockey, if it can even be called that.

Just now, jad1 said:

and the GM refused to bring in secondary scoring, and the coach couldn't figure out how to get more out of the roster.

and just how was either going to do that with this lot of losers?

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, PerreaultForever said:

For the money he is/was apparently asking for I would hope we do not sign him. Maybe this is why Carolina let him go for little return. They already knew he wanted too much. 

This stuff is just painful to sit through now. Just terrible hockey, if it can even be called that.

and just how was either going to do that with this lot of losers?

I don't know, give guys like Nylander or Olofsson a shot earlier in the season?  Give Smith or O'Regan or Smith a shot?  Make a blockbuster trade for a guy like Duchene and have Pegula open up the wallet to sign him long term?  Trade for an older vet like Eric Staal who could improve the 2C position and mentor the young guys on the team?

We’re better than this. It’s just a slump.

These guys have to get their heads out of their *****! Work harder and play smarter!

If we only stopped playing Thompson and Sobotka and gave Olofsson and Pilut a chance, things would get better.

Eight years of hell. Things are never going to change. Maybe I should get a Canes avatar...?

Oh well, there’s always the draft. We’ll get a new coach, some new players, some sunshine and I’ll be looking forward to training camp.

Denial, anger, bargaining, depression, acceptance: and the five stages of Sabres fandom is complete for another year.

• Haha (+1) 2
  • Thanks (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

That's what I thought the who will be here next year thread was, not the team, but us. 

I'll say this about this season.  If not for this board, I may have found a better use of my time than watching every game.  But mystery loves company and there are a lot of real funny f**kers that post here.  I'll be here, watching the boys play, through thick and thin.

Edited by Tondas
  • Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Tondas said:

I'll say this about this season.  If not for this board, I may have found a better use of my time that watching every game.  But mystery loves company and there are a lot of real funny f**kers that post here.  I'll be here, watching the boys play, through thick and thin.

And misery ...

• Haha (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, Tondas said:

With @Doohickie leaving and @PASabreFan threatening, is anyone still going to be here for the last 4 games.  I hate posting to myself. 

4 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

I’ll be there Tomorrow Night and for the Home Finale ?

I'm sticking it out until I get my Phil Housley Bobble Head !!!!!!!!!!!

I know the head won't "bobble" and it's face shows no emotion........but I want it anyway.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, Tondas said:

With @Doohickie leaving and @PASabreFan threatening, is anyone still going to be here for the last 4 games.  I hate posting to myself. 

So far so good. Duffer is appropriately stone-faced. I heard from a friend that the Sabres' Twitter feed was interesting tonight.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.