Frozen Four

GASabresIUFAN

5 minutes ago, Eleven said:

I wish UND had made it.

We'll see how well attended this is without them, I guess.

The two western schools are going to be the better hope for some life out of the crowd.  UMASS and PC are somewhat close, but the size of the fanbase is going to be dwarfed by the other two.

8 minutes ago, Ogelthorpe said:

Minnesota Duluth goalie, Hunter Shepherd,  was invited and at Sabres developmental camp last year. IMHO he was pretty impressive.

But apparently very confused about whether he's supposed to protect the animals or kill them.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 6
  • Thanks (+1) 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/12/2019 at 8:55 AM, Eleven said:

NCAA pricing and the big teams didn't make it.

What an absolute cluster.

I've heard that the Pegulas placed blame with Brandon for his bidding on the event and subsequent pricing. But I think most of the blame must rest with the NCAA. It's their event. If they're eliciting bids that are going to inevitably yield this kind of pricing, then they're the ones ultimately to blame.

We didn't attend the games, but met out for a late lunch with 2 families who generally attend the event every year. The real kick in the crotch that the NCAA delivered, IMO: Angering their loyal base. Because the dads who brought their kids to Buffalo, and paid full price to do so, were receiving a deluge of emails from the NCAA offering to sell them additional tickets for heavily discounted prices. That did not make them feel very good about having paid full price.

I think that sound I heard over the weekend was the sound of air hissing out of a burst bubble.

I think we are rapidly approaching the sports bubble. With the shrinking middle class and the continued rise in ticket prices, at some point ppl aren't going to spend $200 per game to go because that is a car payment or kid's clothes for the month. 

1 hour ago, LGR4GM said:

I think we are rapidly approaching the sports bubble. With the shrinking middle class and the continued rise in ticket prices, at some point ppl aren't going to spend $200 per game to go because that is a car payment or kid's clothes for the month. 

Agreed.

And there's such a shift from how people want to consume sports (increasingly from the comfort of their homes) and what sports people want to consume (many teams beyond their home teams - thanks in large part to increasingly legalized betting and fantasy sports (but also in part to the incredible amount of coverage and information available to all fans)).

And I will tip my hat to PSE for talking about these trends.

2 hours ago, That Aud Smell said:

What an absolute cluster.

I've heard that the Pegulas placed blame with Brandon for his bidding on the event and subsequent pricing. But I think most of the blame must rest with the NCAA. It's their event. If they're eliciting bids that are going to inevitably yield this kind of pricing, then they're the ones ultimately to blame.

We didn't attend the games, but met out for a late lunch with 2 families who generally attend the event every year. The real kick in the crotch that the NCAA delivered, IMO: Angering their loyal base. Because the dads who brought their kids to Buffalo, and paid full price to do so, were receiving a deluge of emails from the NCAA offering to sell them additional tickets for heavily discounted prices. That did not make them feel very good about having paid full price.

I think that sound I heard over the weekend was the sound of air hissing out of a burst bubble.

The Pegulas had nothing to do with this event.  It was hosted by Canisius and Niagara, played in a building owned by Erie County, prices set by NCAA, etc.

I have had this event on my radar for the past few months and was asked multiple times by my son to attend. $100+ per seat? Absolutely no way. This is the same as the world juniors, there's not enough people who will throw away 200 bucks on a curiosity. And I'm not advocating for a 10 dollar seat...Just make it reasonable and remember not one of these "amateur athletes" receives a dollar from the sale!

59 minutes ago, Eleven said:

The Pegulas had nothing to do with this event.  It was hosted by Canisius and Niagara, played in a building owned by Erie County, prices set by NCAA, etc.

A local school always is listed as the host, but there's no way they're the driving force behind this one.  Some of the bigger schools with more influence my play a bigger role in other cities, but that will never be the case here.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.