Hawaii vacation suggestions

SDS

Went there on my honeymoon for 13 days and am looking to return. Want to take the teenage kids this summer to celebrate some stuff...

We technically have 16.5 max to use on travel (Fri night to a Sun night). That is probably enough time for 2 islands. I could also see one island and maybe some time in San Francisco/California for variety.

Any big travelers here want to pontificate on their Hawaiian experiences? Suggestions? 

4 minutes ago, SDS said:

Went there on my honeymoon for 13 days and am looking to return. Want to take the teenage kids this summer to celebrate some stuff...

We technically have 16.5 max to use on travel (Fri night to a Sun night). That is probably enough time for 2 islands. I could also see one island and maybe some time in San Francisco/California for variety.

Any big travelers here want to pontificate on their Hawaiian experiences? Suggestions? 

I went to Kuiai for a medical conference 5 years ago, it was wonderful, it's the quiet island.... The middle of the island is a rainforest surrounded by all the beauty of dry Hawaii, Honalai Bay up north and Waimea canyon are spectacular, I recommend and ATV into the rainforest and go right by where they Jurassic world.... I haven't been to other islands, but I highly enjoyed Kuiai and would reccomend

I was married on the beach on Kauai in 2007 in Princeville. Then spent 20 days island hopping.

We went back in 2017 and spent 18 days island hopping.

we went all over Kauai, Maui, Oahu, and the Big Island.

We budgeted where we could, and splurged where we could.

lots of lower cost or free “nature” destinations if you and your family like doing nature stuff. If you are more of a city sights, shopping family, you’re gonna pay pay pay in most cases. 

Keep in mind the devastation of the recent lava flow of Kilauea on the Big Island will limit where you can go and what’s available to see/do.

Edited by Zamboni

I went 25 years ago on my first honeymoon so no help on specifics like hotels, etc., but I thought the Big Island was very cool.  Wild variation in climates to explore on the one island, active volcano, black sand beaches, small enough to drive around in one day or spend a few days doing it.  

Only spent two days on Oahu which was more than enough.  Honolulu is just another big city that happens to be on a beach;  Pearl Harbor was the only memorable thing there.  Not recommended.

Maui was beautiful, stayed at some resort near Lahaina.  A lot to see there or just hang on the beach.

If you come to SF, plan to spend a day doing something like hiking the Marin Headlands.  So much awesome natural beauty here to enjoy.   Wine country is an hour away but save that for a trip without the kids.

We previously spent 7 days on Kauai, 4 days on Maui and one night on Oahu. Most of the advice I have seen is to limit the island transfers and just spend your time at one island unless you were there for 2-3 weeks or more.

Tips on logistics are helpful. How to handle the layover, travel days, etc... There are a lot of things I'm sure I won't think about until I'm dealing with it.

We actually just booked a family vackay to Hawaii.  We're on a 9 night Disney Cruise from Vancouver to Hawaii (four ports of call I believe) and then booked a 5 night condo stay just outside of Honolulu for afterwards.  Trip isn't until May 2020 but we've already got a count down board started!!

My son is obsessed with Dolphins so I'm looking into swimming with the dolphins excursions right now.  This thread is very appropriate timing.  Looking forward to some suggestions as well.

Edited by Derrico

We stayed in Kauai for one of the weeks of our honeymoon. It really is ace. Book a car though. Buses are.... Relaxed. Apparently there are companies that rent out older cars for cheaper than the ones at the airport.

Smith family luau (sp?) was great.

Waimei canyon was cool. 

Gotta surf too.

Kona.

Several Hilton and Marriott time-share condo locations in the area. Agree to do the "tour" and get your lodging for a greatly reduced price. It's about $100/night for the each additional bedroom. That way you can save $$$ by not eating out for every meal, although there are some local places that are reasonably priced. Costco on the north side of Kona. Stock up there for whatever you need. Also a Walmart and Safeway in town. Tons of stuff to do. Make sure you spend at least a couple days just relaxing by the pool. 

• Like (+1) 1

I have friends with who swear by Maui with kids/teens as it's generally the resort/beach island and it's gorgeous. From my experience, stay clear of Oahu unless you're going for Pearl Harbor. Kauai is the the one I'd recommend. It's still the adventure island (beach, jungle-touring on horse or ATV, ziplining, kayaking, surfing, snorkeling) and has more than enough amenities. The dry Waimaea (sp?) canyon west side and the jungle north/east side are only a couple hours apart. Lots to do and explore.

A few Suggestions...

KAUAI ... 

hiking the kalalau trail from ke’e beach. 

Waimea canyon state park

Na Pali coast dinner cruise

MAUI

Maui ocean center

Haleakala star gazing guided tour

snorkeling/snuba diving 

OAHU

diamond head

Pearl Harbor

Waikiki beach and shopping 

THE BIG ISLAND

Mauna Kea sunset tour with Summit Adventures. Mauna Kea has different countries observatories at the summit. You can’t drive to the summit in a rental. You need to be part of a tour group.

See green or black sand beaches

Hawaii volcano national park. Possibly see lava flowing.

i could give you a ton more, but I know your time is limited. A few of those suggestions are free. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.