OT: UB Basketball Coach Nate Oats Resigns

Brawndo

1 minute ago, Hoss said:

It’s the MAC so I wouldn’t be surprised if they competed in conference but you can still be terrible and compete in that conference.

There are many degrees of "terrible". I think UB will settle into the consistently top 3 in MAC but always underdog v. top programs version. Which isn't actually that terrible.

2 minutes ago, Samson's Flow said:

There are many degrees of "terrible". I think UB will settle into the consistently top 3 in MAC but always underdog v. top programs version. Which isn't actually that terrible.

That’s a fantastic spot for the program. UB being good is entertaining because they get a ton of support from the media in Buffalo. It’s annoying seeing them completely ignored otherwise. I’d like to see football get to a consistently solid place, too.

2 hours ago, That Aud Smell said:

Who's Mark Alnutt hired at UB?

1 hour ago, Hoss said:

Of note: the current athletic director at UB did not hire either Hurley or Oates. It was the Allen Greene who is at Auburn now.

I stand corrected. 

Is the current AD the former AD's deputy?  If so, he might have the right stuff too.

1 hour ago, Hoss said:

Of note: the current athletic director at UB did not hire either Hurley or Oates. It was the Allen Greene who is at Auburn now.

They aren’t going to get the recruit. He already has an offer from Oats at Bama. He’s not coming to UB after that. And there’s a decent chance some of the current players transfer out. I’ve been paying plenty of attention. If they’re not terrible they’re certainly not going to be notably good.

The question isn’t if they’ll be terrible now, it’s they would’ve been if he stayed, which you implied.

It was the right time for him to leave but he felt they would compete for the title again if everything fell into place. 

He left because he was never getting a better offer then this one, but with or without the Big guy out West, they had a ton of talent coming back.

2 hours ago, tom webster said:

The question isn’t if they’ll be terrible now, it’s they would’ve been if he stayed, which you implied.

It was the right time for him to leave but he felt they would compete for the title again if everything fell into place. 

He left because he was never getting a better offer then this one, but with or without the Big guy out West, they had a ton of talent coming back.

This is fair. I do believe they would’ve been bad at best if Oats stays. Back in “win the conference or the season ends” mode for the foreseeable future. And he can’t afford that. Not in chasing big jobs. This was the right move for him and the right move for the university (which is getting a very good chunk of change).

2 hours ago, tom webster said:

I believe Danny White hired both Hurley and Oates. Allen Greene was his deputy but he left and was replaced by Alnutt.

Honestly forgot about Danny White.

Looking at the recent track record of AD’s leaving WNY schools is very impressive.

Danny White went to UCF in 2015. Football went 31-8 in the time since he’s been there including back-to-back undefeated seasons under two different coaches hired by White. UCF basketball just went to its first-ever NCAA tournament and should’ve won against Duke - under a coach hired by White.

Allen Greene went to Auburn who has a basketball team on the brink of its second elite 8 ever. Already in the first sweet 16 since 2003.

Steve Watson left Bonas for Loyola Chicago. They made one of the most unlikely Final Four runs in history last year and had one of the most marketable small programs last year. They hadn’t made the tournament since 1985. Watson is legitimately a top five person I’ve ever met, gotten to know and worked with. Honored to know that man.

30 minutes ago, Hoss said:

This is fair. I do believe they would’ve been bad at best if Oats stays. Back in “win the conference or the season ends” mode for the foreseeable future. And he can’t afford that. Not in chasing big jobs. This was the right move for him and the right move for the university (which is getting a very good chunk of change).

Well hopefully all the already committed recruits as well as the returnees stick around so we can have some idea.

Unfortunately, I fear a mass exodus as well as a few de-commits

22 hours ago, TrueBlueGED said:

What? I'm incredibly sad to see Oats go, but how is this a dick move? 

It's not.   UB is a stepping stone program and until they graduate to playing in deeper waters, they are always going to have a coaching retention problem.

Oats will make a lot more money, have access to a much higher caliber of athlete in recruiting, and it's just a solid career move from his perspective all the way around.

Nothing "dick" about it.

4 hours ago, Hoss said:

Honestly forgot about Danny White.

Looking at the recent track record of AD’s leaving WNY schools is very impressive.

Danny White went to UCF in 2015. Football went 31-8 in the time since he’s been there including back-to-back undefeated seasons under two different coaches hired by White. UCF basketball just went to its first-ever NCAA tournament and should’ve won against Duke - under a coach hired by White.

Allen Greene went to Auburn who has a basketball team on the brink of its second elite 8 ever. Already in the first sweet 16 since 2003.

Steve Watson left Bonas for Loyola Chicago. They made one of the most unlikely Final Four runs in history last year and had one of the most marketable small programs last year. They hadn’t made the tournament since 1985. Watson is legitimately a top five person I’ve ever met, gotten to know and worked with. Honored to know that man.

Don't forget Warde Manuel, currently Michigan's AD.  Football program has done well since Manuel took over (although still needs to get over the Ohio State hurdle) and the hoops program has been fantastic.  Other sports have been generally good too.  Below is a snippet I found online about Manuel's days at UB:

"Manuel was responsible for the hiring of Turner Gill as the head coach of Buffalo's football team. Under Gill the team achieved its first winning season and first invitation to a post season bowl game since the program joined NCAA Division I athletics in 1999. Manuel has helped change Buffalo's image and marketing strategy. Immediately after he took office, Manuel replaced the old "Bull Head" logo with a sleeker, more modern bull. Manuel also increased the athletics budget from $11 million to $25 million within three years of his hiring."

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.