OT: UB Basketball Coach Nate Oats Resigns

Brawndo

3 minutes ago, TrueBlueGED said:

What? I'm incredibly sad to see Oats go, but how is this a dick move? 

Exactly. Good for him. Sad to see him go, but I think it would have been a foolish career move not to take a promotion while his star is brightest.

I don't think anyone here would say with a straight face that they wouldn't take a ~4x pay raise to go do the same role someplace else. (Oats @ UB would make $800k under new contract; Avery at Alabama who was prior coach made $3.062m per year)

Edited by Samson's Flow
  • Like (+1) 2

Just now, New Guy said:

I'm mostly acting out of emotion here, who knows what caused it. It's just strange for him to get a five year extension, "resign," and join them all of a sudden 

The silver lining for UB Athletics is they get the $1 million buyout from Alabama for Oats leaving while under contract. So that's something I guess...

https://heavy.com/sports/2019/03/buffalo-bulls-head-coach-salary-nate-oats/

image.thumb.png.9021b021771b185a6b70abc737a23137.png

• Like (+1) 1

While disappointing for UB fans, this is the scenario both the AD and Oates contemplated by signing the extension.  Oates was going to be a hot commodity in coaching circles after what he did in Buffalo.  UB's AD understood this and gave him an extension with the $1 mill buyout to protect the school and add money to the program knowing full well that Oates was likely gone.  If by chance he stuck around, great, but if not ok also.  Oates, by agreeing to an extension with the buyout was also doing right by the school.

• Like (+1) 1

29 minutes ago, Samson's Flow said:

Exactly. Good for him. Sad to see him go, but I think it would have been a foolish career move not to take a promotion while his star is brightest.

'zactly. This was his time. UB's going to take a few steps back, regardless of who's coaching over the next couple of years.

29 minutes ago, New Guy said:

I'm mostly acting out of emotion here, who knows what caused it. It's just strange for him to get a five year extension, "resign," and join them all of a sudden 

Arguably, he agreed to sign another extension in order to help protect the university and possibly diminish his options with suitors (who may not have liked a big buyout number).

2 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

While disappointing for UB fans, this is the scenario both the AD and Oates contemplated by signing the extension.  Oates was going to be a hot commodity in coaching circles after what he did in Buffalo.  UB's AD understood this and gave him an extension with the $1 mill buyout to protect the school and add money to the program knowing full well that Oates was likely gone.  If by chance he stuck around, great, but if not ok also.  Oates, by agreeing to an extension with the buyout was also doing right by the school.

Agreed.

Godspeed, Nate Oats.

• Like (+1) 2

42 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Good post...other than spelling Oats' name wrong ?

The program is financially protected and currently attractive due to the recent run of success. It's hard to be mad about the coach leaving for 4-5x his salary at an athletic department that is probably going to break every rule in the book to help him recruit (it's possible I'm very cynical about college athletics). I just hope we're able to hold onto his recruiting classes and can keep the momentum going.

• Like (+1) 1

I mean this LITERALLY: there was an absolute ZERO percent chance he was staying. No chance. They’re going to be terrible next season and his chances at a big job would disappear.

It’s awesome what he and Hurley did for UB. Their first four NCAA appearances. And he coached what is probably the best men’s college basketball team WNY has seen in decades.

There’s nothing wrong with him leaving BUT changing his twitter that quickly and not addressing it with a statement or anything at all towards fans, the university and the players he is leaving behind is a little weak.

4 minutes ago, Sabel79 said:

Not nearly cynical enough if you don’t think that UB, or indeed literally every school, cheats to the best of its ability.  

Sure, but UB's ability to cheat pales in comparison to other programs. I'm assuming Alabama can cheat much more effectively even though their basketball program has been basically a joke. 

5 minutes ago, Hoss said:

I mean this LITERALLY: there was an absolute ZERO percent chance he was staying. No chance. They’re going to be terrible next season and his chances at a big job would disappear.

It’s awesome what he and Hurley did for UB. Their first four NCAA appearances. And he coached what is probably the best men’s college basketball team WNY has seen in decades.

There’s nothing wrong with him leaving BUT changing his twitter that quickly and not addressing it with a statement or anything at all towards fans, the university and the players he is leaving behind is a little weak.

Define terrible. Obviously there's going to be a step back, but I still think they'll be competitive in-conference.

well---UB is gonna have to start spending some money if they want to become a big time program. 

The best WNY basketball ever was the little 3 days of Bob Lanier and Calvin Murphy. This UB team is as good as the Bonnies team about 7 yrs ago.

Spending money on a great well known coach is gonna pay for itself in no time .Dont be cheap UB.

Buffalo pro sports suck so lets get a real NCAA powerhouse going. It'll make 100s of millions for the uni in the long run.

There is no conceivable way UB basketball could make hundreds of millions.  

Having said that, the AD has killed it with his last 2 coaching hires, so there’s reason to think he knows what he’s doing.  It would certainly be great for UB to be a good program that’s a contender in its conference and makes the NCAA tournament every year.  

Anyone thinking they were going to be terrible wasn’t paying attention. They have two guys practicing all year who might be best shooters on team coupled with two best rated recruiting classes the last two years plus 3 star recruit out west making his decision Fridsy.

if Oates stayed they were going to be far from terrible. Now question is will not only recruits stay committed but will returning class remain.

I understand Oats' decision and respect it.  I'm still disappointed, as he had a good thing going with the program, which he may or may not be able to replicate at Alabama.  Regardless, he'll get a minimum of 2-3 years with a huge paycheck, regardless of how things turn out.

7 hours ago, nfreeman said:

Having said that, the AD has killed it with his last 2 coaching hires, so there’s reason to think he knows what he’s doing.  It would certainly be great for UB to be a good program that’s a contender in its conference and makes the NCAA tournament every year.  

Who's Mark Alnutt hired at UB?

8 hours ago, nfreeman said:

There is no conceivable way UB basketball could make hundreds of millions.  

Of note: the current athletic director at UB did not hire either Hurley or Oates. It was the Allen Greene who is at Auburn now.

8 hours ago, tom webster said:

Anyone thinking they were going to be terrible wasn’t paying attention. They have two guys practicing all year who might be best shooters on team coupled with two best rated recruiting classes the last two years plus 3 star recruit out west making his decision Fridsy.

if Oates stayed they were going to be far from terrible. Now question is will not only recruits stay committed but will returning class remain.

They aren’t going to get the recruit. He already has an offer from Oats at Bama. He’s not coming to UB after that. And there’s a decent chance some of the current players transfer out. I’ve been paying plenty of attention. If they’re not terrible they’re certainly not going to be notably good.

15 hours ago, TrueBlueGED said:

Define terrible. Obviously there's going to be a step back, but I still think they'll be competitive in-conference.

It’s the MAC so I wouldn’t be surprised if they competed in conference but you can still be terrible and compete in that conference.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.