Recent Pegula press conf 3/26

PASabreFan

10 hours ago, Sabel79 said:

TG getting a bit salty.  Looking at the Snooze website, I’d say Harrington’s latest wholly unsourced screed prompted this... and he’s not wrong.  

Harrington is a buffoon.  I read his article, it's really useless.  Calling out the Pegulas for not being patient when they should, but now they should not.  He contradicts himself.  If Eichel quit on Bylsma and has quit on Housley then who should the Pegulas have been patient with?  The coaches and GM who did not communicate or those who do?  Either way, the common denominator is not the coach and GM, it's the player.

57 minutes ago, That Aud Smell said:

That's the first thing I've read of Harrington's in a long, long time.

It certainly is. But far from being unjustified. A little unfair in spots, but defensibly so.

I read the thing, reflexively prepared to shake my head yet again and dismiss Harrington, but found myself agreeing with it over and over again.

I don't read Graham anymore either (mostly because I'm too cheap for The Athletic). But his Twitter presence is somehow more repugnant , toxic than Harrington's ever was.

Harrington is flat out trolling for views these days.  I almost responded to one of his tweets yesterday but I withheld.  He called out the people of Buffalo for supporting the losing organization that is the Sabres.  I wanted to point out that those same losers also support his losing organization and keep him employed.

Here's the quote I think is the most telling

They can't possibly bring him back now. This team, led by Eichel, has quit on its second straight coach. No two-game winning streak since December, no two-game streak in regulation since October and a humiliating 13-game road winless streak.

Perhaps the problem isn't the owner, GM, or coach.  Perhaps it's a certain player.

10 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

I'm fairly certain that it's next to impossible to keep him out of Detroit, but I'd throw every dollar I had toward Steve Yzerman.  Hell, move the team offices to Detroit if that's what he wants.

13 minutes ago, LTS said:

Harrington is a buffoon.  I read his article, it's really useless. 

Perhaps the problem isn't the owner, GM, or coach.  Perhaps it's a certain player.

I don't entirely disagree on the first bit above. Emotionally, it resonated with me because I'm so out of sorts with the club.

As to the second excerpt, I think that's possible. I still want to see what he does on a team with proper depth.

1 hour ago, Pimlach said:

That article is a hatchet job.  It one of the most scathing pieces I’ve seen in quite awhile.  

Get Bots help in the form of a new boss, fire Phil, point fingers at the PSE dysfunction and tell Terry and Kim to fix it   Wow.  

Harrington has balls.  I’m not sure he is wrong either but surely he is burning bridges.    

What will he say or do the next time he interviews someone in the Sabres organization.  I would imagine the players read this stuff.  

Harrington burned all of his bridges a long time ago. Even his peers take shots regularly and tell me how often you see that.

1 hour ago, That Aud Smell said:

That's the first thing I've read of Harrington's in a long, long time.

It certainly is. But far from being unjustified. A little unfair in spots, but defensibly so.

I read the thing, reflexively prepared to shake my head yet again and dismiss Harrington, but found myself agreeing with it over and over again.

He might as well have written the team has sucked since they arrived so hate them.

It the furthest thing from reasonable and objective. But it does capture well the frustration a lot of people feel.

27 minutes ago, LTS said:

Harrington is a buffoon.  I read his article, it's really useless.  Calling out the Pegulas for not being patient when they should, but now they should not.  He contradicts himself.  If Eichel quit on Bylsma and has quit on Housley then who should the Pegulas have been patient with?  The coaches and GM who did not communicate or those who do?  Either way, the common denominator is not the coach and GM, it's the player.

Harrington is flat out trolling for views these days.  I almost responded to one of his tweets yesterday but I withheld.  He called out the people of Buffalo for supporting the losing organization that is the Sabres.  I wanted to point out that those same losers also support his losing organization and keep him employed.

Here's the quote I think is the most telling

I hate to say it, but maybe the Sabres should be listening to offers for Jack? He’s been the common denominator in all this losing and obviously he’s not leading. His lack of leadership is more impactful than the positives he brings on the ice. I would never do it unless a player of similar caliber is coming back and then some. Waiting for a trade demand will automatically drop his value. I’m not saying to run him out of town, but let’s begin to take the blinders off. Honeymoon is over. 

19 minutes ago, kas23 said:

I hate to say it, but maybe the Sabres should be listening to offers for Jack? He’s been the common denominator in all this losing and obviously he’s not leading. His lack of leadership is more impactful than the positives he brings on the ice. I would never do it unless a player of similar caliber is coming back and then some. Waiting for a trade demand will automatically drop his value. I’m not saying to run him out of town, but let’s begin to take the blinders off. Honeymoon is over. 

And McDavid is taking Edmonton where? He also has displayed some frustration this year in his comments.

27 minutes ago, dudacek said:

It the furthest thing from reasonable and objective. But it does capture well the frustration a lot of people feel.

Agreed.

23 minutes ago, kas23 said:

As best I can tell, the team's problem is not its best forward. The team's problem is that it has a lot of other forwards who don't/can't do much.

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, That Aud Smell said:

Agreed.

As best I can tell, the team's problem is not its best forward. The team's problem is that it has a lot of other forwards who don't/can't do much.

Do you think the team has quit on PH? If so, then it’s not bad forwards. Jack is the captain. He’s needs to be part of solution, not negative and certainly not neutral. He’s not a teenager anymore. 

3 minutes ago, freester said:

We're not trading Jack unless its for Mcdavid.  Lets stop with this narrative.  We have had some terrible talent terrible GMs and bad coaches.  We need an experienced competent GM and an experienced competent Coach. 

We’re probably the worse team in the NHL right now. Same as last year, the year before, and probably the year before this. 3 different coaches, the same results. The only “narrative” I’m bringing up is that everyone needs to be critically evaluated and no one has a ticket to escape accountability. 

2 minutes ago, kas23 said:

We’re probably the worse team in the NHL right now. Same as last year, the year before, and probably the year before this. 3 different coaches, the same results. The only “narrative” I’m bringing up is that everyone needs to be critically evaluated and no one has a ticket to escape accountability. 

I would say....

Dahlin and Skinner

Currently Botts deserves a lot of the blame assuming he hired Housley.  He traded away two top 6 forwards which has killed us and obviously hiring an inexperienced coach was a terrible decision.  I listened to Mke Schoop go on an analytics rant yesterday and I think it makes sense.  Our next GM and coach need to be highly geared toward analytics

• Like (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, freester said:

Currently Botts deserves a lot of the blame assuming he hired Housley.  He traded away two top 6 forwards which has killed us and obviously hiring an inexperienced coach was a terrible decision.  I listened to Mke Schoop go on an analytics rant yesterday and I think it makes sense.  Our next GM and coach need to be highly geared toward analytics

Yeah JBots is the “salary cap - development guy”.  Not looking good so far.

1 hour ago, kas23 said:

The team has missed the playoffs for 8 straight seasons now.  Eichel has been here for 4.  He's not the common denominator.

50 minutes ago, MakeSabresGrr8Again said:

And McDavid is taking Edmonton where? He also has displayed some frustration this year in his comments.

Eichel and McDavid have a combined 8 seasons in the NHL and only 1 playoff appearance.  It's a sad waste.

41 minutes ago, kas23 said:

Do you think the team has quit on PH? If so, then it’s not bad forwards. Jack is the captain. He’s needs to be part of solution, not negative and certainly not neutral. He’s not a teenager anymore. 

I don't think there's any way of knowing whether the team's truly quit on their coach, and, if so, what role Eichel's had in that. I think it's far more likely that the natural wear and tear of a(nother)  disappointing season is starting to affect how the team is playing as a unit and individuals.

Eichel apparently gave a rousing speech after (?) the MTL game. I suspect he's doing all he can. This team stinks, though. Know who doesn't stink? Eichel. He's a terrific player - a legit 1C.

• Like (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, That Aud Smell said:

I don't think there's any way of knowing whether the team's truly quit on their coach, and, if so, what role Eichel's had in that. I think it's far more likely that the natural wear and tear of a(nother)  disappointing season is starting to affect how the team is playing as a unit and individuals.

Eichel apparently gave a rousing speech after (?) the MTL game. I suspect he's doing all he can. This team stinks, though. Know who doesn't stink? Eichel. He's a terrific player - a legit 1C.

No doubt Eichel is a terrific player. On the ice, he’s one of the best in the league. I’m talking about off the ice though. For better or worse, by now he should have total control over that locker room. I understand we can’t really tell if a team has quit on their coach without talking to the players directly. But, if it’s true, that makes it 2 coaches in a row that have been quit on. That looks very bad. I just don’t think hiring a new coach will fix our problems.  What happens when they quit on the next one?

1 hour ago, MakeSabresGrr8Again said:

I would say....

Dahlin and Skinner

Interesting choices: a mistake-prone defenceman, and a goal scorer who has scored once in the past 20 games, coincidentally the 20 games we have gone 3-17 and watched the season turn from "starting to disappoint" to "we are the worst team in hockey"

No one should escape accountability.

4 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Interesting choices: a mistake-prone defenceman, and a goal scorer who has scored once in the past 20 games, coincidentally the 20 games we have gone 3-17 and watched the season turn from "starting to disappoint" to "we are the worst team in hockey"

I’ll give Dahlin as pass. He’s 18 and this is his first season in the NHL. As for Skinner, he’s a veteran and he’s all but disappeared. It’s doesn’t make much sense to give out $8M/season contracts to a player on this team right now. 

11 minutes ago, kas23 said:

No doubt Eichel is a terrific player. On the ice, he’s one of the best in the league. I’m talking about off the ice though. For better or worse, by now he should have total control over that locker room. I understand we can’t really tell if a team has quit on their coach without talking to the players directly. But, if it’s true, that makes it 2 coaches in a row that have been quit on. That looks very bad. I just don’t think hiring a new coach will fix our problems.  What happens when they quit on the next one?

It's not Eichel's fault that the Sabres defense continually gets caved in it's own zone.

It's not Eichel's fault that the Sabres goaltenders have been prone to giving up soft goals.

It's not Eichels fault that the bottom nine fowards can't hit the broad side of a barn.

It's not Eichel's fault that the Sabres top defensemen in terms of ice time is a -46.

It's not Eichel's fault that the system the coach has installed doesn't match the skill set of the roster.

It's not Eichel's fault that players who need more development time in Rochester spent the season in the NHL.

A captain of a hockey team can motivate good players to play great.  What he can't do is make fundamentally bad players good

Hockey teams need more than 4 or 5 great players on the roster to be a good team.  Eichel hasn't made a single trade, drafted a single player, or signed a free agent since he's been here.

Want to be a perpetual bad team, keep trading your top players.  

Eichel is not the problem with this team, just as O'Reilly and Kane weren't the problem least season. 

The problem is with the 15 other players on the roster who are stealing money every game.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thanks (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, dudacek said:

But they are the two bright spots and they don't seem to have given up like some others.

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, jad1 said:

It's not Eichel's fault that the Sabres defense continually gets caved in it's own zone.

It's not Eichel's fault that the Sabres goaltenders have been prone to giving up soft goals.

It's not Eichels fault that the bottom nine fowards can't hit the broad side of a barn.

It's not Eichel's fault that the Sabres top defensemen in terms of ice time is a -46.

It's not Eichel's fault that the system the coach has installed doesn't match the skill set of the roster.

It's not Eichel's fault that players who need more development time in Rochester spent the season in the NHL.

A captain of a hockey team can motivate good players to play great.  What he can't do is make fundamentally bad players good

Hockey teams need more than 4 or 5 great players on the roster to be a good team.  Eichel hasn't made a single trade, drafted a single player, or signed a free agent since he's been here.

Want to be a perpetual bad team, keep trading your top players.  

Eichel is not the problem with this team, just as O'Reilly and Kane weren't the problem least season. 

The problem is with the 15 other players on the roster who are stealing money every game.

Good post but the bolded could partly be on Jack when he's on the ice by not supporting his Dmen. Same could be true of other forwards.

With that said .....can you please "Make a Case FOR Housley"? Thanx, LOL

52 minutes ago, That Aud Smell said:

Like what happened to O'Reilly that led the fan base to want him run out of town?

As for Eichel as Captain, maybe he is similar to the Vanek type, good player who just isnt a leader? Just because someone is really good or skilled, doesnt mean they are or should be a leader. 

• Thanks (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, MakeSabresGrr8Again said:

Good post but the bolded could partly be on Jack when he's on the ice by not supporting his Dmen. Same could be true of other forwards.

With that said .....can you please "Make a Case FOR Housley"? Thanx, LOL

He's not a Selke candidate, but he's not a terrible back checker, either. The defense has way more problems than their top scorer not playing like a defensive foward in their own zone. 

Can't make a case for Housley, or for Botterill.  I'm a fan of the revolving door when it comes to coaches and GMs.  You can kick them to the curb as often as needed, as long as you don't shred the roster. 

6 minutes ago, jad1 said:

He's not a Selke candidate, but he's not a terrible back checker, either. The defense has way more problems than their top scorer not playing like a defensive foward in their own zone. 

Can't make a case for Housley, or for Botterill.  I'm a fan of the revolving door when it comes to coaches and GMs.  You can kick them to the curb as often as needed, as long as you don't shred the roster. 

Not putting all the blame on the forwards, just indicating there's more issues than just the D. I can see where we agree with that?

Would be great if Eichel were a candidate though.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.