Recent Pegula press conf 3/26

PASabreFan

50 minutes ago, jad1 said:

It's not Eichel's fault that the Sabres defense continually gets caved in it's own zone.

It's not Eichel's fault that the Sabres goaltenders have been prone to giving up soft goals.

It's not Eichels fault that the bottom nine fowards can't hit the broad side of a barn.

It's not Eichel's fault that the Sabres top defensemen in terms of ice time is a -46.

It's not Eichel's fault that the system the coach has installed doesn't match the skill set of the roster.

It's not Eichel's fault that players who need more development time in Rochester spent the season in the NHL.

A captain of a hockey team can motivate good players to play great.  What he can't do is make fundamentally bad players good

Hockey teams need more than 4 or 5 great players on the roster to be a good team.  Eichel hasn't made a single trade, drafted a single player, or signed a free agent since he's been here.

Want to be a perpetual bad team, keep trading your top players.  

Eichel is not the problem with this team, just as O'Reilly and Kane weren't the problem least season. 

The problem is with the 15 other players on the roster who are stealing money every game.

Ok. Do you think the players have quit on their coach? If yes, what responsibility does the captain have in such a situation? If yes, how frequent are players allowed to quit on their coach? Of no, then I agree with you, but most of those problems won’t be solved by firing PH.

I just think the “system” blaming needs to take a backseat. We complained we didn’t have the right system with Bylsma and now we’re complaining about PH’s system. I remember clearly how much we were complaining about Bylsma. People were throwing themselves off buildings. We wanted an “up tempo” game. Well, we got one. But, now we’re back to complaining. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, apuszczalowski said:

Like what happened to O'Reilly that led the fan base to want him run out of town?

Quite possibly.

In retrospect, and putting aside his brutal honesty during locker room clean-out, I can't quite wrap my head around why ROR had to go. At the time, I was basically like, "well, they must have their reasons. Because reasons." 

A year or so removed, I'm a little more like: WTF?

Holy fish balls. Remember all the talk about ROR being chronically a step behind the play and not really outfitted for the modern NHL game? Talk that I, along with others, engaged in? Yeah. Fook that talk.

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, apuszczalowski said:

Like what happened to O'Reilly that led the fan base to want him run out of town?

As for Eichel as Captain, maybe he is similar to the Vanek type, good player who just isnt a leader? Just because someone is really good or skilled, doesnt mean they are or should be a leader. 

Then I think the captaincy needs to be removed. Maybe he has too much on his shoulders? Regardless, this team is in dire need of good leadership. That’s the reason for this historic meltdown. Not goaltending. Not lack of forwards. And not lack of defense. This team has managed to progressively get much worse as the season has moved forward. The status of our goaltending, defense, and forwards hasn’t changed. If these were the problem, we should be treading water as a below average team. We’re not even that. We’re in free fall. 

Friedman and Marek had a segment on the Sabres on their podcast last week where the O’Reilly trade came up.

The context was Botterill and how Friedman sees him as an iron spine who is going to stick to his guns no matter what the fans or media might be saying. He said Botterill “got mad” at Ryan O’Reilly and “got it done.” I didn’t take “got mad” as a knee-jerk thing, but more as “I’ve had enough of your BS” thing

https://www.sportsnet.ca/podcasts/31-thoughts-podcast/march-21-2019-cracks-maple-leafs-armour/

Sabres start around the 20 minute mark.

Edited by dudacek

7 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Friedman and Marek had a segment on the Sabres on their podcast last week where the O’Reilly trade came up.

The context was Botterill and how Friedman sees him as an iron spine who is going to stick to his guns no matter what the fans or media might be saying. He said Botterill “got mad” at Ryan O’Reilly and “got it done.” I didn’t take “got mad” is a knee-jerk thing, but more as “I’ve had enough of your BS” thing

https://www.sportsnet.ca/podcasts/31-thoughts-podcast/march-21-2019-cracks-maple-leafs-armour/

Sabres start around the 20 minute mark.

Well , he sure showed him, didn't he?

• Haha (+1) 3

35 minutes ago, kas23 said:

Then I think the captaincy needs to be removed. Maybe he has too much on his shoulders? Regardless, this team is in dire need of good leadership. That’s the reason for this historic meltdown. Not goaltending. Not lack of forwards. And not lack of defense. This team has managed to progressively get much worse as the season has moved forward. The status of our goaltending, defense, and forwards hasn’t changed. If these were the problem, we should be treading water as a below average team. We’re not even that. We’re in free fall. 

I'm pretty sure that that's not true - like, decidedly so.

I understand what you're saying, but I think leadership here is being overblown. The team is bad, as constructed and as deployed. I don't think an additional leadership boost would change much of that's happening. Maybe it'd be worth another win or two?

8 hours ago, LTS said:

Harrington is a buffoon.  I read his article, it's really useless.  Calling out the Pegulas for not being patient when they should, but now they should not.  He contradicts himself.  If Eichel quit on Bylsma and has quit on Housley then who should the Pegulas have been patient with?  The coaches and GM who did not communicate or those who do?  Either way, the common denominator is not the coach and GM, it's the player.

A buffoon maybe, but also maybe it is time to call it like it is. Maybe, just maybe, it's time for everyone to say they've had enough. I personally think we need to hire a tough hockey guy who will say that and fire anyone who doesn't get on board and start rowing in the same direction. Brian Burke maybe? Just a thought. Somebody tough who doesn't take crap from anyone and doesn't breed a culture of softness and losing. 

I've been pretty patient this year, optimistic even, but that Ottawa game revolted me. I cant' watch that stuff any more. At least earlier I was entertained and saw some effort. Now it's back to no effort, no pride, no guts, no identity, no plan no NOTHING. IT HAS TO STOP!

2 hours ago, That Aud Smell said:

I'm pretty sure that that's not true - like, decidedly so.

I understand what you're saying, but I think leadership here is being overblown. The team is bad, as constructed and as deployed. I don't think an additional leadership boost would change much of that's happening. Maybe it'd be worth another win or two?

Our goaltending was great for a total of 10 games. That’s a small fraction of a whole season. All the other games, they’ve been average at best. This hasn’t changed.

This team is now the worst in the league. We can’t even blame it on injuries. Something just isn’t adding up. Is it lack of stamina? I just don’t see how a team with average talent is at the bottom of the basement. I see players just giving up. Not a lack of talent. 

I was the biggest proponent of the Tank years. We got Jack and I was ecstatic. Some on here were strongly against it. Saying it’ll teach a losing atmosphere. Yada yada yada. I scoffed at this notion. But, now, I’m starting to wonder if they were right. Ever since Sam and Jack (even McDavid) have come into the league, all they’ve done is lose. This may sound crazy, but what if we’ve poisoned the well and they’re damaged goods?

On 3/27/2019 at 6:00 AM, StuckinFL said:

I don't think he will. I think both will be given till Thanksgiving. The writing on the wall is that the talent is too low right now. I think ultimately getting rid of ROR was TP move, not a JBots one or that TP owns part of that decision. If that's the case, not having a 2C and teams just needing to shut down our first line absolutely killed this teams ability to consistently win hockey games and TP will give a little extra slack. I think one good off-season is all we need to set the ship right. 

For me, O’Reilly’s end of season comments showed he needed to go. He was supposed to be a team leader and he admits that he wasn’t enjoying playing that season which affected his play?  He should’ve been leading by example.

52 minutes ago, gilbert11 said:

For me, O’Reilly’s end of season comments showed he needed to go. He was supposed to be a team leader and he admits that he wasn’t enjoying playing that season which affected his play?  He should’ve been leading by example.

maybe he saw that no cared about losing as much as he did and wanted out

1 hour ago, gilbert11 said:

Ever had that boss that alway gives you the company line and management speak even when things are *****?

Ever had that boss that calls a spade a spade and treats you like an intelligent person who is aware of the situation?

I know which one I prefer as my leader

21 hours ago, MakeSabresGrr8Again said:

And McDavid is taking Edmonton where? He also has displayed some frustration this year in his comments.

McDavid is at least a shooting star for his team compared to what Eichel is for Buffalo.  McDavid is second in the league in points, Eichel is 30th.  McDavid should be frustrated.  He and Draisaitl are in the top 5 in scoring in the league and his team 23rd overall.

21 hours ago, freester said:

We're not trading Jack unless its for Mcdavid.  Lets stop with this narrative.  We have had some terrible talent terrible GMs and bad coaches.  We need an experienced competent GM and an experienced competent Coach. 

See above.  I'm done comparing McDavid and Eichel.  If Eichel were anywhere near as talented he'd be putting up better numbers.  Eichel may have all-world skill but he lacks all-world desire.  We've all seen it.  If you are convinced that you can't move Eichel then you are handcuffing yourself on how to improve the Sabres.  I'm not saying it's the right move, I'm just saying that it shouldn't be taken off the table.

20 hours ago, jad1 said:

It's not Eichel's fault that the Sabres defense continually gets caved in it's own zone.

It's not Eichel's fault that the Sabres goaltenders have been prone to giving up soft goals.

It's not Eichels fault that the bottom nine fowards can't hit the broad side of a barn.

It's not Eichel's fault that the Sabres top defensemen in terms of ice time is a -46.

It's not Eichel's fault that the system the coach has installed doesn't match the skill set of the roster.

It's not Eichel's fault that players who need more development time in Rochester spent the season in the NHL.

A captain of a hockey team can motivate good players to play great.  What he can't do is make fundamentally bad players good

Hockey teams need more than 4 or 5 great players on the roster to be a good team.  Eichel hasn't made a single trade, drafted a single player, or signed a free agent since he's been here.

Want to be a perpetual bad team, keep trading your top players.  

Eichel is not the problem with this team, just as O'Reilly and Kane weren't the problem least season. 

The problem is with the 15 other players on the roster who are stealing money every game.

I've seen Eichel blow many D-zone coverages and since the C is the 3rd D.  Yes, it is his fault in those instances.  It's not only his fault however.

The goaltending is not Eichel's fault, but if you maintain higher possession and play better D you lower the soft goal opportunities (I'm still in the fire Andrew Allen camp).

Eichel was largely criticized for not hitting the net as well.  The Sabres in general have some shooting issues.

When Eichel turns the puck over or doesn't get back on the PP and they score shorthanded while Risto is on the ice, he contributes.  He also contributes when he fails to cover the defensive zone.  No, it's not solely his fault, but he has some influence on it.

The system... the team they are building needs to learn the system.  This is usually also taught at the AHL level to help season the players for the NHL.  The Amerks seem fine. You don't necessarily change the system to fit the players, especially on a young, developing team.

The Sabres are a young team and as such some players were going to play in the AHL and some in the NHL.  Some of where those players play is brought about by the position they play and their potential role on the team.  So, you have to compare that and then decide what is the pool of players that play a position and that role and then see which makes the NHL.  You can point to Tage Thompson, Casey Mittlestadt as they are the poster children for this.  Who on the Amerks should have been up?  Nylander?  Most people were writing him off in the AHL.  Olofsson?  We'll see how he can contribute, but I'm already seeing people putting him down for his size.  CJ Smith?  He's bottom 6 which the Sabres have plenty of in spades, he's needed in Rochester.  You can suggest you go out and sign some UFA veteran talent to fill those roles.  Of course, for the purpose of longer term planning you are going to want some players who will accept 1-2 yr deals max and not break the bank.  How many top 6 forwards fit that bill? Basically, none.

It's not Eichel's fault, no... it's not really anyone's fault.  We can keep hanging onto this mirage that Evander Kane was going to sign here.  We can keep hanging onto the mirage the Ryan O'Reilly is a savior (he's not, he's done fundamentally nothing for St. Louis, they had been performing about as even as they were last year before they traded away Stastny). I outlined the Blues improvements in another thread, not rehashing it.  He may lead in points, but the team overall isn't really all that much better.

For what it's worth, you talk about Eichel has not made a single trade, etc.  He's widely given credit for helping end Bylsma. If he's the $10M, untradeable, poster child of the Sabres that people claim then if he doesn't like the coach, which one is going to be moved?

There are lots of problems on the team, and it's reasonable to believe that Eichel may be one of them.

14 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

A buffoon maybe, but also maybe it is time to call it like it is. Maybe, just maybe, it's time for everyone to say they've had enough. I personally think we need to hire a tough hockey guy who will say that and fire anyone who doesn't get on board and start rowing in the same direction. Brian Burke maybe? Just a thought. Somebody tough who doesn't take crap from anyone and doesn't breed a culture of softness and losing. 

I've been pretty patient this year, optimistic even, but that Ottawa game revolted me. I cant' watch that stuff any more. At least earlier I was entertained and saw some effort. Now it's back to no effort, no pride, no guts, no identity, no plan no NOTHING. IT HAS TO STOP!

Maybe it's time for people to say they've had enough. But let the people say that.  He's not calling anything like it is. He's out there looking for click bait in a pathetic attempt to save what's left of his pathetic career for an even more pathetic news organization.  

Good old Brian Burke... what has he won lately?  A tough hockey guy who would take one look at Eichel floating back to the bench or not back checking with the tenacity he should be and then do what?  Approach the owner and say, he has to go?  And if the owner says, "We can't do that because the fans would revolt"  what do you do?  I don't want anyone running the Sabres who doesn't support the Canes Storm Surge.  

Years later, people have come around on the fact that the Sabres probably should have taken 4 1st round picks for Vanek.  But everyone says it didn't happen because the fans would revolt.  The fans are almost always wrong, because the fans are almost always too emotionally attached to make good decisions.  

• Thanks (+1) 1

17 hours ago, kas23 said:

Something just isn’t adding up. Is it lack of stamina? I just don’t see how a team with average talent is at the bottom of the basement. I see players just giving up. Not a lack of talent. 

I don't think stamina or fitness is the issue. And I think what you're saying is not unfair. This team isn't good, sure. But they're not this bad -- not hardly.

5 hours ago, nucci said:

maybe he saw that no cared about losing as much as he did and wanted out

Hmmm.

Imagine being a player, winning 10 straight games and having both the GM and the owner come out later and say, basically, they knew at the time you were a fraud. Said GM sat on his hands because he didn't want to spoil his plan to win at some point in the future — four years after the franchise you play for tanked for two seasons to try and... win at some point in the future.

Edited by PASabreFan
  • Like (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

Imagine being a player, winning 10 straight games and having both the GM and the owner come out later and say, basically, they knew at the time you were a fraud. Said GM sat on his hands because he didn't want to spoil his plan to win at some point in the future — four years after the franchise you play for tanked for two seasons to try and... win at some point in the future.

No one said that they were a fraud, not basically, and not in any other way.

repeating_gif_by_mrdynamite-d4hoav2.gifgiphy.gif

18 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

7 hours ago, LTS said:

For what it's worth, you talk about Eichel has not made a single trade, etc.  He's widely given credit for helping end Bylsma. If he's the $10M, untradeable, poster child of the Sabres that people claim then if he doesn't like the coach, which one is going to be moved?

There are lots of problems on the team, and it's reasonable to believe that Eichel may be one of them.

I sometimes wonder about this, seeing that E-Rod and then later on O'Reagan added to the organization. Was that to please Jack?

14 minutes ago, MakeSabresGrr8Again said:

I sometimes wonder about this, seeing that E-Rod and then later on O'Reagan added to the organization. Was that to please Jack?

Considering the fact that Erod signed a month before Eichel was drafted, that’s a hell of a lot of influence that Jack already had. 

• Haha (+1) 1

16 hours ago, LTS said:

See above.  I'm done comparing McDavid and Eichel.  If Eichel were anywhere near as talented he'd be putting up better numbers.  Eichel may have all-world skill but he lacks all-world desire.  We've all seen it.  If you are convinced that you can't move Eichel then you are handcuffing yourself on how to improve the Sabres.  I'm not saying it's the right move, I'm just saying that it shouldn't be taken off the table.

I'm also done comparing Eichel to McDavid but not in the same way. Simply don't see the point. We lost that lottery and Edmonton lucked out. McDavid is better. Eichel is not "generational." Okay, we got it, is what it is. Move on to the present. He is still currently the best player on this roster. You can trade him sure. Give us a Forsberg plus package for a Lindros I'm with you 100 percent, but since that isn't likely on the table you aren't going to make us better by moving out the only legit allstar on the roster. Dahlin may be our best player one day, we can only hope, but not yet. Rather than move him out, what we need is enough talent on the roster that he is no longer the only player the opposition has to check. 

16 hours ago, LTS said:

Good old Brian Burke... what has he won lately?  A tough hockey guy who would take one look at Eichel floating back to the bench or not back checking with the tenacity he should be and then do what?  Approach the owner and say, he has to go?  And if the owner says, "We can't do that because the fans would revolt"  what do you do?  

Burke wouldn't say that. He had Sedins. He traded for Kessel. He too values skill as much as anyone, so he wouldn't do this. What he might do however, is surround him with Ferland types and let a lot of that rub off on him. He'd maybe build a bigger team with a tougher attitude. One that protects it's stars and lets them play their game. But I don't want to defend Burke, twas just a thought. You got a better candidate? By all means love to hear it. 

The bottom line for me is the current thing just ain't working, so maybe it is the owner and maybe it is the way they run it. If you think yet another coach or another GM and no other changes to the whole thing will suddenly fix it, to that I say dream on. 

9 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

I'm also done comparing Eichel to McDavid but not in the same way. Simply don't see the point. We lost that lottery and Edmonton lucked out. McDavid is better. Eichel is not "generational." Okay, we got it, is what it is. Move on to the present. He is still currently the best player on this roster. You can trade him sure. Give us a Forsberg plus package for a Lindros I'm with you 100 percent, but since that isn't likely on the table you aren't going to make us better by moving out the only legit allstar on the roster. Dahlin may be our best player one day, we can only hope, but not yet. Rather than move him out, what we need is enough talent on the roster that he is no longer the only player the opposition has to check. 

Burke wouldn't say that. He had Sedins. He traded for Kessel. He too values skill as much as anyone, so he wouldn't do this. What he might do however, is surround him with Ferland types and let a lot of that rub off on him. He'd maybe build a bigger team with a tougher attitude. One that protects it's stars and lets them play their game. But I don't want to defend Burke, twas just a thought. You got a better candidate? By all means love to hear it. 

The bottom line for me is the current thing just ain't working, so maybe it is the owner and maybe it is the way they run it. If you think yet another coach or another GM and no other changes to the whole thing will suddenly fix it, to that I say dream on. 

I have no problem with the guy currently doing the job. I think there is only so much you can change in a season unless you are willing to throw out your prospect pool and draft picks. I think doing that to bring in a few guys perhaps helps for a year or two and then the team is back to nothing.

I don't have a problem with the current rate of change. I'd like it to be better but I'm not sour grapes over it.

On 3/29/2019 at 5:48 AM, gilbert11 said:

I don't disagree at all. But the return we got for him signaled to me that JBot had a push to get rid of him when we did or that TP was in on that decision and owns it and partially his own. That's why I think there's extra leash. If the consensus is that low talent is the reason we didn't take a bigger step forward and TP owns all or some of that decision, then I can see them getting an extra 7 months to right the ship rather than being fired in a few weeks.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.