GDT Sabres at Ottawa 3/26/19 7:30.

Brawndo

1 minute ago, PerreaultForever said:

Blues had 94 points last year. This year they have 90 with 6 games to go. Not that different really. So I guess that means ROR is neutral? 

Gonna say the same thing as before, since all the ROR fans say the same thing over and over,  we didn't win with him, we were worse, so thinking we'd be winning if we still had him is ridiculous.

They have a different coach, new #1 goalie, a couple rookies in the lineup. It's a different team and he is a leader on a playoff team.  They also passed off some dead weight to the Sabres.  All things aren't equal year to year , so if you don't give him credit for helping his team have success it just sounds like sour grapes.  Would be be a better team with ROR and not having Sobotka , Tage and Berglund for that time, I think we would be. But ROR can't play goalie  or as a defenseman so we likely still would have issues. He wasn't what was wrong with last years team.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

1 minute ago, klos1963 said:

They have a different coach, new #1 goalie, a couple rookies in the lineup. It's a different team and he is a leader on a playoff team.  They also passed off some dead weight to the Sabres.  All things aren't equal year to year , so if you don't give him credit for helping his team have success it just sounds like sour grapes.  Would be be a better team with ROR and not having Sobotka , Tage and Berglund for that time, I think we would be. But ROR can't play goalie  or as a defenseman so we likely still would have issues. He wasn't what was wrong with last years team.

Talk to me if he wins for them in the playoffs. They have been in the playoffs year after year and almost always lose. I think this year will be no different.

1 minute ago, PerreaultForever said:

Talk to me if he wins for them in the playoffs. They have been in the playoffs year after year and almost always lose. I think this year will be no different.

Well , they haven't won a cup, so yes they do always lose in the playoffs. Last year, they didn't make the playoffs so already an improvement this year. And the year before the won the first round and the year before that, they won 2 rounds and lost in the conference finals. So they do win some in the playoffs.

• Like (+1) 1

59 minutes ago, klos1963 said:

Clawing into the playoffs is never something we should be jealous about. He's a decent player, but age, personality and cap hit made sense to move on. Do we really think O'Reilly at 31 would help us win a cup while making 7.5 per?

1 hour ago, klos1963 said:

Well , they haven't won a cup, so yes they do always lose in the playoffs. Last year, they didn't make the playoffs so already an improvement this year. And the year before the won the first round and the year before that, they won 2 rounds and lost in the conference finals. So they do win some in the playoffs.

My point is St. Louis rotates big name players in and out of there every season. It never changes much though. They always seem to end up about the same. 

Edited by PerreaultForever

Losing 4-0 to this Ottawa team in this year in this manner is a bottoming out event IMO.

This is the sort of ***** that gets a GM and/or HC fired.

Or at least it should be.

It's impossible to overstate how hosed this organization is.

• Like (+1) 3

1 hour ago, SabresBillsFan said:

In all fairness to Botteril. O’ Reilly lost his love for hockey in Buffalo. The way this shitshow is going they seem like they need a complete overhaul of coaching and scouting. 

Oh FFS.  No he didn't.  He just said that publicly hoping to get thrown off the sinking USS Sabre.  And thanks to that genius Botterill, it worked!

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thanks (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Gatorman0519 said:

Listening to Pegula...great guy..but wow is he clueless...holy cow

I appreciate his candor in seemingly honestly addressing the question about maybe adding another managing layer on the hockey side, which is something I've been lobbying for for a while now.  He's not into that idea.

His comments about Phil and "Botts" are very discouraging, if he actually means anything close to what he said. 

I won't read too much into that right now.  He said great things about Darcy around the time of his last K extension too, only to can his ass shortly thereafter.

5 hours ago, Kruppstahl said:

Oh FFS.  No he didn't.  He just said that publicly hoping to get thrown off the sinking USS Sabre.  And thanks to that genius Botterill, it worked!

I heard Skinner's time on the Sabres has rekindled his love of curling, the kind of love that only an $11mm/year cap hit could squelch.  Also told his agent was recently seen with Mario Williams at the Buffalo Chophouse.

Edited by mrm33064
  • Haha (+1) 2

7 hours ago, SabresBillsFan said:

In all fairness to Botteril. O’ Reilly lost his love for hockey in Buffalo. The way this shitshow is going they seem like they need a complete overhaul of coaching and scouting. 

ROR played it perfect.  He got out.   This team has already had two complete overhauls in the past 4 years.

I am all for consistency.  I am not a fan of he job PH has done, or Bots for that matter.  Problem is consistency means give Bots 2 more years.  They have fielded a last place team two years straight.   Drafting Dahlin was consolation for being lousy.   Big Picture  - Bots traded Kane and ROR and he  acquired Hutton (FA), Sheary, Tage, Montour, Skinner and a draft pick.  At least Rochester is going in the right direction.  Bots needs to do more next offseason.  The talent pipeline needs to get another  infusion.  The Sabres roster needs some gritty veteran help, especially at forward.   If this roster is to really improve then guys like Sobie, Pommer, and Okposso, all need to  and be replaced by better NHL ready players.  We need an entirely new 2nd line.  We have 3 top 6 forwards.  Mitts, Tage, Sheary, and Erod are not top 6.  They may never be. 

I would hire a real hockey President over Bots.  Someone to help Bots with strategy and personnel decisions, trades, coaching and the draft.  I would have the new Boss help Bots with the decision on PH.  If PH survives he needs to be on a short leash with his replacement already in the organization. 

Winning next year is a must. 

11 hours ago, Crusader1969 said:

I’m pretty sure ROR was a quitter.  Didn’t he lose the love of the game? 

He was a quitter who put up amazing stats.  Berglund literally was a quitter.  He quit playing.  I'll take the guy who's lost his love for the game if he can still pot goals, win faceoffs and play good two-way hockey.

Edited by Doohickie
  • Thanks (+1) 1

9 hours ago, klos1963 said:

I would never argue about ROR's abilities and is a very consistant player. He's had a slight up-tick in pts this year on a much better team. It's not like he had a breakout year going from 45pts-75pts. Look at his career numbers and see how consistant they are.  he had 24g/61pts with our crappy team last year and now has 27g/71pts on a playoff team. Do you really think that little difference is the reason the Blues are in the playoffs?

Can you confirm he's a leader on a playoff team? I can just as easily say the opposite. Where were the Blues up until Bennington came along? About where we are now. Look at Benningtons numbers during the "streak" they had. They sucked with O'Reilly until Bennington got hot. And if you remember our "streak"(I ask that becausepeople have tried to remove all recognition of it happening) it was said that we rode the hot goalies at the time. Same with the Blues.

You also said that WE would be a better team with O'Reilly rather than the trash we got back in the trade. Then you wouldn't argue that the Blues are better with ROR than they would be if they had the dead weight they sent us, right? They are only better by a few points, do you think a few points would make that much difference to us? 

If ROR is so good and he's having a great year no doubt.....why is it that most players on their team are having a worse year than last year? Is it his leadership?

Hey guys and gals,

14,000+ time caller here in NS.

I have no time to check anything other than the final score.

By that count this would appear to be one of the most stinky of all the stinky games the Sabres have played this season.

Would that be fair?

I'll hang up and listen.  Thanks.

8 hours ago, Darryl Shannon's +/- said:

Clawing into the playoffs is never something we should be jealous about. He's a decent player, but age, personality and cap hit made sense to move on. Do we really think O'Reilly at 31 would help us win a cup while making 7.5 per?

Why not? In 3 years I'm pretty confident he'll still be a very good player.

1 hour ago, Ogelthorpe said:

Jack is part of the problem

I'm starting to believe that may not be a far fetched idea. One of the "common denominators' of continued futility. Even if his numbers improve, what we see on some nights is not "Captain material".

• Thanks (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.