GDT Sabres tonight at 7 or 7:08 in Jersey (on TV)

PASabreFan

If they cant win this game, theres no reason why Housley should keep his job, he has lost the team. (I'm not saying winning this game he should keep his job, but losing it should all but put the last nail in the coffin)

I think they end up winning, possibly something like 5-2 and they act like they just did something big/special. The fans are just as pissed as if they were blown out because now they are costing themselves a slightly better draft pick/chance to win the lottery......

Part of me wants them to drop the next three vs. NJ, OTT & DET, 3 of the 4 teams who have fewer points than us....would be some interesting optics for sure. Certainly no point in actively rooting for wins at this point.

Having typed this out and with a moment of reflection, it's not just part of me that wants to see this, it's mostly all of me. Burn this mother to the ground!

8 hours ago, inkman said:

If the team hasn't mailed it in, whatever they are doing isn't working. I really have no interest in the outcome of this game.Ā 

Pretty much watching to see if Eichel can crack 80 and Skinner can crack 40 goals.Ā 

My perception of Eichel is he's not one to keep it turned on to boost personal stats, though.Ā 

Edited by Thorny

29 minutes ago, apuszczalowski said:

If they cant win this game, theres no reason why Housley should keep his job, he has lost the team. (I'm not saying winning this game he should keep his job, but losing it should all but put the last nail in the coffin)

I think they end up winning, possibly something like 5-2 and they act like they just did something big/special. The fans are just as pissed as if they were blown out because now they are costing themselves a slightly better draft pick/chance to win the lottery......

Um ... this game is not the ā€œwell Housley should be fired if he doesnā€™t winā€ game.

about 3 months ago, it became the ā€œwtf is he doing night in night out? He needs to goā€. His in game adjustments are baffling. Most of his line construction is troubling. Who he sits on any given night is obtuse. And the inability to get the team to come out strong and a pain in the a$$ to play againstĀ every period is sophomoric .

nothing has changed ...

He will keep his job until the bitter end this season. There is no benefit to firing him now. But no matter how they look, win or lose.... I predict heā€™ll be gone before the playoffs begin.

Sad sad season indeed.Ā 

Ā 

Even more sad is that I don't care too much about the lottery this year either, so there's not much to be excited about.... Next year doesn't look promising either at this point.Ā 

What would it take to A. Start really losing the fan base (ticket sales, lack of TV ratings etc..) and B. To bring back those that have reached that level? It's not a lottery win, is it firing Housley? Is it a big FA splash?Ā 

I don't have the answers to these questions, but I am curious.Ā 

4-2 loss tonightĀ 

6 minutes ago, Wyldnwoody44 said:

Sad sad season indeed.Ā 

Ā 

Even more sad is that I don't care too much about the lottery this year either, so there's not much to be excited about.... Next year doesn't look promising either at this point.Ā 

What would it take to A. Start really losing the fan base (ticket sales, lack of TV ratings etc..) and B. To bring back those that have reached that level? It's not a lottery win, is it firing Housley? Is it a big FA splash?Ā 

4-2 loss tonightĀ 

The fans that always hate the newest Star Wars movie the loudest almost assuredly find themselves among the earliest pre-orders of the next one. I think most fans stick around even if they vote with their wallet for a bit re:tickets. But they'll be back in full when the winning starts, and probably even if doesn't. Shrug.Ā 

The reason there's so much anger among the base, in my view,Ā is because most realize they aren't actually going to step away, that they are stuck with what's happening for better or worse. Such is the life of a fan.Ā 

Edited by Thorny

4 minutes ago, Wyldnwoody44 said:

Sad sad season indeed.Ā 

Ā 

4-2 loss tonightĀ 

The Canadian market (who may not necessarily be Sabres fans in the first place) makes Buffalo kind of suck proof in terms of ticket sales. Ā I think they'll remain strong.

Regarding point B: The people will come back when we start winning on a consistent basis again, and probably not much before that.

Ā 

Ā 

1 minute ago, Thorny said:

The fans that always hate the newest Star Wars movie the loudest almost assuredly find themselves among the earliest pre-orders of the next one. I think most fans stick around even if they vote with their wallet for a bit re:tickets. But they'll be back in full when the winning starts, and probably even if doesn't. Shrug.Ā 

The reason there's so much anger among the base, in my view,Ā is because most realize they aren't actually going to step away, that they are stuck with what's happening for better or worse, such is the life of a fan.Ā 

This is true, it may be why we still have a team in buffalo.Ā 

But man, it would be nice to just see them not totally suckĀ 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Kruppstahl said:

The Canadian market (who may not necessarily be Sabres fans in the first place) makes Buffalo kind of suck proof in terms of ticket sales. Ā I think they'll remain strong.

Regarding point B: The people will come back when we start winning on a consistent basis again, and probably not much before that.

Ā 

Ā 

US Canadians and pseudo-Canadians from WNY do love our hockey, you're probably right there.Ā 

I miss the GDT being at 20 pages by the 1st period, now a Toronto game gets 10 pages the next day

31 minutes ago, Zamboni said:

Um ... this game is not the ā€œwell Housley should be fired if he doesnā€™t winā€ game.

about 3 months ago, it became the ā€œwtf is he doing night in night out? He needs to goā€. His in game adjustments are baffling. Most of his line construction is troubling. Who he sits on any given night is obtuse. And the inability to get the team to come out strong and a pain in the a$$ to play againstĀ every period is sophomoric .

nothing has changed ...

He will keep his job until the bitter end this season. There is no benefit to firing him now. But no matter how they look, win or lose.... I predict heā€™ll be gone before the playoffs begin.

Bold prediction! Ā I hope you are right!Ā 

I can make a case for you being right. Ā I can also make a case for Housley starting next year as HC!Ā 

I think my latest gut feeling tells me he will be fired.

Ā 

Edited by Kruppstahl

19 minutes ago, Thorny said:

The fans that always hate the newest Star Wars movie the loudest almost assuredly find themselves among the earliest pre-orders of the next one.

Can you cite a source for this assertion, or are you pulling it out of your mugwumpy arse?

2 minutes ago, Thorny said:

That doesn't back your assertion if you deconstruct it.

1 minute ago, Tondas said:

Thanks.Ā  Tells me everything I need to know.

Hey, don't go away!Ā  I swear, it's a genuine Rolex!

• Haha (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Doohickie said:

That doesn't back your assertion if you deconstruct it.

Sure it does. After the initial hype died down a consistent narrative could be found among the fandom that Force Awakens was bad and Disney killed SW because the movie was just a "re-hash" of A New Hope. That many were done with the sequel trilogy was a common refrain.Ā 

And then TLJ set the record for second biggest opening of all-time. That itĀ made less thanĀ TFA opening weekend was largely attributed toĀ some casuals (TFA had a huge built in novelty) passing rather than the hardcore fan.

Anyways I don't want to argue about it, not the thread for it.Ā 

Edited by Thorny

46 minutes ago, Thorny said:

The reason there's so much anger among the base, in my view,Ā is because most realize they aren't actually going to step away, that they are stuck with what's happening for better or worse. Such is the life of a fan.Ā 

The fan base is broken because they sold us the sell-off for all the picks and they squandered the picks; they sold us the lottery and we lost it, twice; they sold us the bridesmaids and Reinhart and Eichel didn't turn us around; they sold us the big-name trades and O'Reilly and Kane came and went with no impact; they sold us the Stanley Cup winning coach and he failed; they sold us the bright young assistant from a great program and it looks like he is failing too.

And then we finally win the freaking lottery ā€” and the kid is freaking amazing ā€” and WE STILL SUCK!

Is it any wonder that we have no patience for what Botterill is selling now? Particularly when it is development, the slowest of all the sales?

I saw it in the commentary during the 10-game winning streak and I see it and hear it in the current talk about Nylander ā€” kid has looked good, he's produced and even the most optimistic of observers are qualifying every statement about him, waiting for the other shoe to drop.

We could start the season 30/10/1 next year and we still won't be comfortable with the results.

We've been conditioned to expect the worst.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.