Pilut Called Up

Brawndo

5 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

Certainly could be, but I'd still rather take a look at any of the other D prospects we have just to give them a taste. Olofsson and the main forwards should all be rotated through as well for a few games imo. 

The team only has 4 call ups after the trade deadline, so they can’t rotate players through.  Pilut might be our last call up.

• Like (+1) 1

15 hours ago, dudacek said:

I think Pilut is a clear case of first impressions matter. He was better than Scandella his first 10 games or so when our memories of Scandella getting blown up playing with Risto on the first pair were fresh. Pilut's poise disappeared as his season progressed and he was regularly getting worked on the forecheck and the cycle. When he was sent down he was not better than Scandella or Beaulieu except at his exit passing, and his giveaways were climbing.

Thompson/Smith is an interesting one. Smith is definitely a more reliable hockey player at this point in time and definitely an inferior talent. I don't necessarily support Thompson's role as "top-six winger in training" but he's more suited for it than Smith (maybe not Nylander or Olofsson, but that's different story). Smith's competition was more Sobotka/Wilson/Girgensons/Larsson and he was more or less interchangeable with them IMO.

To be clear, as long as we're losing, I'd rather be playing Smith and Pilut than Sobotka and Beaulieu because I think it might be better for the team in the long run, but I don't buy this myth that Housley was sitting out players who were obviously better. He gave those guys a chance and they didn't make a difference.

I'm sorry but this is funny. Scandella has been a trainwreck on just about every pair for the entire duration of the season. Pilut on the other hand has not. Bealieu actually was showing good signs. Housley's refusal to see that Scandella is bad is one of the final nails in his coffin for me. Scandella's position metrics with basically everyone are not good. There isn't a good defensive partner for him although I am sure Dahlin could tote his carcass around if needed. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

lol - good one, but can someone point me to this actual rule. I'm sure I've seen more call ups than 4 on many teams.

The 23-man roster limit is in place from the conclusion of the preseason until 12:01 am on the day of the NHL’s Trade Deadline. After that teams are allowed to have an unlimited active roster at the NHL level, provided players are signed to one of their 50 contract slots. NHL teams are only allowed to dress a maximum of 20 players – 18 skaters and two goaltenders – for any given game, but those 20 must come from the 23-player active roster.

From CBA ...

16.4 Active Roster Size; Playing Roster.
(a) There shall be a maximum of twenty-three (23) Players on each Club's Active Roster at any one time, provided, however, that, on the date of each season's Trade Deadline, a Club's Active Roster may be increased to any number of Players the Club, in its discretion, so determines, subject to Article 50.
(b) Clubs are not permitted to Loan Players where the result of such Loan(s) would reduce the Club's Active Roster below eighteen (18) skaters and two (2) goaltenders. However, Clubs will not be required to Recall Players to maintain the minimum eighteen (18) skaters and two (2) goaltenders on days which they do not play an NHL Game, provided that the deficiency below those thresholds is a result of an injury that has caused the removal of such disabled Player from the Active Roster.

Edited by Zamboni

31 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

So then we can call up anybody we want. 

I saw the 4 call ups thing from one of the Twitter talking heads.  If I could remember which one I'd make a half assed attempt to search for it.

I did find this:

According to Article 13 Section 12 Subsection l:

During the period following 3:00 p.m. New York time of the fortieth (40th) day immediately preceding the final day of the Regular Season no Player may be Recalled from Loan to a club of any league affiliated with the NHL, except that:
(i) A Club may exercise four (4) recalls from a club or clubs of any league affiliated with the NHL, of Player(s) listed on its own Reserve List.
(ii) Players may be Recalled under Article 13.12(m).
(iii) Players may be Recalled upon completion of the regular season and playoff schedule of the club to which they were Loaned.

If I am reading this correctly, 40 days prior to the end of the regular season starts a period where teams can only recall 4 players excepting under emergency situations until the the players league completes its regular season.

1 hour ago, Weave said:

I did find this:

If I am reading this correctly, 40 days prior to the end of the regular season starts a period where teams can only recall 4 players excepting under emergency situations until the the players league completes its regular season.

The "emergency situations"  are pretty easy to use and abuse I think. Risto's sick, Borgen's up. Teams can take any little ache or pain and get around that rule if they want to. 

19 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

The "emergency situations"  are pretty easy to use and abuse I think. Risto's sick, Borgen's up. Teams can take any little ache or pain and get around that rule if they want to. 

That may very well be, but the rule is quite specific.

Emergency conditions shall be established when the playing strength of the Loaning Club, by reason of incapacitating injury or illness or by League suspension to its Players is reduced below the level of two (2) goalkeepers, six (6) defensemen and twelve (12) forwards. Proof of the existence of the emergency conditions including the incapacity shall be furnished to the Commissioner of the League upon request made by him.

12 hours ago, Weave said:

That may very well be, but the rule is quite specific.

Emergency conditions shall be established when the playing strength of the Loaning Club, by reason of incapacitating injury or illness or by League suspension to its Players is reduced below the level of two (2) goalkeepers, six (6) defensemen and twelve (12) forwards. Proof of the existence of the emergency conditions including the incapacity shall be furnished to the Commissioner of the League upon request made by him.

Bolded - if you can't play, it's incapacitating

Italics - upon request only means he has to ask, if he doesn't it doesn't matter.  Even then, they just say, he's sick and can't play and there's the rub. 

Overall, it's a lot of words with the only real metrics saying that the Sabres cannot use an emergency recall if they have a non-injured player called up that was a healthy scratch. So long as they can ice a team of 6 D and 12F and 2G.

Every season there are a boatload of players who suffer the amazing 1 day flu and miss a game.  It's so amazing for such a dangerous illness that the CDC should study the NHL in how to right the flu.  ?

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.