Pilut Called Up

Brawndo

3 minutes ago, Cheektorado said:

Pilut has got 430 minutes so far with the Sabres.  Everyone got a good look at him.

Guhle has got 23 minutes.  Seems to me IF they want to take another look at him with the Sabres now is the time.

Guhle got traded to Anaheim for Montour and is on IR

Edited by Brawndo
  • Thanks (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Brawndo said:

We are all trying to block out large portions of the past eight years, it’s all good 

Just to show where I'm at, I cancelled Center Ice recently after I don't know how many years because I couldn't take it anymore.

I was back in Buffalo earlier this month and went to the Oilers game.  It was brutal to see how the team played and how the crowd was.

When I came back to Colorado I went with a bunch of friend to the bar to watch the Pittsburg game.  It was embarrassing to sit that game out.

I started logging in again to see what you guys are thinking............I just don't know how much heart I got left.....been a fan since inception.

5 minutes ago, Weave said:

I think I saw on Twitter yesterday or Friday that Pilut's play has been underwhelming since he was sent down.

I’ve read that as well. He was described as reminiscent of Guhle last year.

The  again, I’m in the camp that said Pilut showed promise, but deserved to be sent down because he was physically overwhelmed, not producing and no better than Beaulieu, Scandella and Nelson.

Just like I don’t think Smith and O’Regan did anything to suggest they were better than Thompson and Sobotka.

Edited by dudacek

14 minutes ago, dudacek said:

I’ve read that as well. He was described as reminiscent of Guhle last year.

The  again, I’m in the camp that said Pilut showed promise, but deserved to be sent down because he was physically overwhelmed, not producing and no better than Beaulieu, Scandella and Nelson.

Just like I don’t think Smith and O’Regan did anything to suggest they were better than Thompson and Sobotka.

I think Pilut was pretty clearly better than all of those defenseman. Sure, he got out muscled, but what he added with his passing and decision making with the puck was infinitely more valuable than what Scandella and Beaulieu brought. I also thought Smith was clearly more effective than Thompson. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, TrueBlueGED said:

I think Pilut was pretty clearly better than all of those defenseman. Sure, he got out muscled, but what he added with his passing and decision making with the puck was infinitely more valuable than what Scandella and Beaulieu brought. I also thought Smith was clearly more effective than Thompson. 

Do you think the decisions to keep Thompson up over Smith and send Pilut back down were Phil's?

If so, given the results, do you think this was planned given the tail spin the team went in to?

3 minutes ago, Scottysabres said:

Do you think the decisions to keep Thompson up over Smith and send Pilut back down were Phil's?

If so, given the results, do you think this was planned given the tail spin the team went in to?

I have no idea. I think Phil clearly didn't like what Pilut brings and does value Tage, but I'm not going to pretend to know how that weighs with what Botterill does. 

• Thanks (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Cheektorado said:

Just to show where I'm at, I cancelled Center Ice recently after I don't know how many years because I couldn't take it anymore.

I was back in Buffalo earlier this month and went to the Oilers game.  It was brutal to see how the team played and how the crowd was.

When I came back to Colorado I went with a bunch of friend to the bar to watch the Pittsburg game.  It was embarrassing to sit that game out.

I started logging in again to see what you guys are thinking............I just don't know how much heart I got left.....been a fan since inception.

Been a fan since inception, too.  Last decade has been difficult, no doubt.  But those of us fans since inception are not bandwagoneers or we would have left already (remember the 80's).   Keep the faith and you'll be surprised how much heart you have left.  Paraphrasing Jimmy V's speech,  Don't give up on the Sabres @Cheektorado, don't ever give up.

• Thanks (+1) 2

2 hours ago, TrueBlueGED said:

I think Pilut is a clear case of first impressions matter. He was better than Scandella his first 10 games or so when our memories of Scandella getting blown up playing with Risto on the first pair were fresh. Pilut's poise disappeared as his season progressed and he was regularly getting worked on the forecheck and the cycle. When he was sent down he was not better than Scandella or Beaulieu except at his exit passing, and his giveaways were climbing.

Thompson/Smith is an interesting one. Smith is definitely a more reliable hockey player at this point in time and definitely an inferior talent. I don't necessarily support Thompson's role as "top-six winger in training" but he's more suited for it than Smith (maybe not Nylander or Olofsson, but that's different story). Smith's competition was more Sobotka/Wilson/Girgensons/Larsson and he was more or less interchangeable with them IMO.

To be clear, as long as we're losing, I'd rather be playing Smith and Pilut than Sobotka and Beaulieu because I think it might be better for the team in the long run, but I don't buy this myth that Housley was sitting out players who were obviously better. He gave those guys a chance and they didn't make a difference.

Edited by dudacek
  • Like (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, dudacek said:

I think Pilut is a clear case of first impressions matter. He was better than Scandella his first 10 games or so when our memories of Scandella getting blown up playing with Risto on the first pair were fresh. Pilut's poise disappeared as his season progressed and he was regularly getting worked on the forecheck and the cycle. When he was sent down he was not better than Scandella or Beaulieu except at his exit passing, and his giveaways were climbing.

Thompson/Smith is an interesting one. Smith is definitely a more reliable hockey player at this point in time and definitely an inferior talent. I don't necessarily support Thompson's role as "top-six winger in training" but he's more suited for it than Smith (maybe not Nylander or Olofsson, but that's different story). Smith's competition was more Sobotka/Wilson/Girgensons/Larsson and he was more or less interchangeable with them IMO.

To be clear, as long as we're losing, I'd rather be playing Smith and Pilut than Sobotka and Beaulieu because I think it might be better for the team in the long run, but I don't buy this myth that Housley was sitting out players who were obviously better. He gave those guys a chance and they didn't make a difference.

I tend to agree with this assessment.  Pilut's play definitely regressed, and the assessment of Smith vs. Thompson makes sense to me.

I actually think this is dumb and don't see the point of it. Might have made sense earlier but we are OUT OF IT now so why bring back the guy you've already seen for a bunch of meaningless games? They trying to teach him the losing culture? (kidding - sort of)

Doesn't it make more sense to let him be an integral part down there and take a look at one or two of the other prospects like Borgen for example. Give him a taste. Also we should see the forward prospects rotated through instead of Pommer or Okposo or other guys that have nothing to show or prove.

I thought maybe things were improving in this organization but I question whether they have a clue.

Edited by PerreaultForever

2 hours ago, Weave said:

I think I saw on Twitter yesterday or Friday that Pilut's play has been underwhelming since he was sent down.

Certainly hasn’t been the same player since he got the first call up...I have ideas why that happened.

7 hours ago, Weave said:

I paid close attention to him when they played the Checkers here in Charlotte.  He looked average to me.  Not necessarily bad as he's a good skater but he didn't look special by any means. 

4 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

I actually think this is dumb and don't see the point of it. Might have made sense earlier but we are OUT OF IT now so why bring back the guy you've already seen for a bunch of meaningless games? They trying to teach him the losing culture? (kidding - sort of)

Doesn't it make more sense to let him be an integral part down there and take a look at one or two of the other prospects like Borgen for example. Give him a taste. Also we should see the forward prospects rotated through instead of Pommer or Okposo or other guys that have nothing to show or prove.

I thought maybe things were improving in this organization but I question whether they have a clue.

Maybe its an injury?

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.