Sabres to play Lightning in Sweden 11/8 & 11/9

Sabel79

16 hours ago, Ducky said:

What I'd be worried about is what this trip does to the schedule.

I didn't like the Jets going to Finland last year and was jumped on by Jets' fans when I mentioned it. After the games, most everyone was complaining about what it did to the schedule.

image.thumb.png.f8558275aeb62057ca444b0c579fc564.png

I assume you mean this...10 games in 17 days.  This is great news for the fans, but three back to backs could impact the results.  Interesting to see how Ralph addresses this "Load Management".  Will our 30+ players get a night off on these?  I'd like to see it.   Keep guys like KO and Vlad  as health scratch.   Give guys like Lazar a chance to play. 

I saw this article just now & thought I'd share it.

Its a history of Swedish Sabres we've had over the years, with a pretty good write-up on everyone.

On a side note, i didn't know we had a player named Linus Omark on our roster at one point.

Not to be confused with current Sabre Linus Ullmark.

Anyways here's the link for anyone interested: https://thehockeywriters.com/sabres-swedish-hockey-player-history/

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

6 hours ago, Broken Ankles said:

I assume you mean this...10 games in 17 days.  This is great news for the fans, but three back to backs could impact the results.  Interesting to see how Ralph addresses this "Load Management".  Will our 30+ players get a night off on these?  I'd like to see it.   Keep guys like KO and Vlad  as health scratch.   Give guys like Lazar a chance to play. 

They played 15 games before the end of the day on Nov. 2.  I think there are few other teams that did that.  Like maybe one other.  And yet, the Sabs were fine.

• Like (+1) 1

10 hours ago, Broken Ankles said:

I looked at March and you guys are playing 15 games in 26 days. Playing two games overseas can come back to bite you. I'm not saying it will and I  hope it doesn't but if I had a say and choice if my team were going to or not, I would pick not.

Edited by Ducky
  • Like (+1) 3

I saw Eiechel's quote about how this "series" will help "grow the game."

Um, what? Dude. Hockey's plenty popular in Sweden. What you mean there is that the games may help grow the NHL's brand.

Which, whatever.

Honestly, this trip caught me unawares and I like it less and less the more I read and think about it. I mean, I guess it's possible that the trip will help bring the team together and, especially with the power of the Swedes, give the squad a new sense of purpose, etc. But it seems far more likely that all of the schedule-compression that results from this excursion is going to (has) hurt the team's overall W-L record.

• Like (+1) 1

So I just got home from the open practice here in Stockholm. I thoght it wold be fun to see your Buffaloboys live, here are my takes:

Damn, the icesurface is small...yes, often the whole team was on the ice at the same time so of course with 20-25 rather big guys on it made it look smaller but still...it looked really crowded out there even 5 on 5. I doubt I will appreciate those long stretchpasses from the D-men as much anymore - they´re not that long. I think the rink size should be somewhere inbetween european and NHL size. Just my personal opinion. (European rinks are too big, slows the game down.)                                                                                                                                

Jack Eichel sticks out, he reminds me a lot of Mats Sundin in many ways. Sundin played here in Stockholm before going over to the NHL. I got that "something is going to happen now" feeling when they take control of the puck. Fun to see.

Jeff "happyface" Skinners background as a figureskater was pretty obvious, a couple of times he almost fell over after a hit or a bump but always recovered with a quadrupel-something. Good balance and blades on him.

Overall they looked good and think they will win at least one of the games against Tampa.

However, I didn´t stick around to watch the Lightnings practice...

• Like (+1) 5
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 2

1 hour ago, mike555555555555555 said:

So I just got home from the open practice here in Stockholm. I thoght it wold be fun to see your Buffaloboys live, here are my takes:

Damn, the icesurface is small...yes, often the whole team was on the ice at the same time so of course with 20-25 rather big guys on it made it look smaller but still...it looked really crowded out there even 5 on 5. I doubt I will appreciate those long stretchpasses from the D-men as much anymore - they´re not that long. I think the rink size should be somewhere inbetween european and NHL size. Just my personal opinion. (European rinks are too big, slows the game down.)                                                                                                                                

Jack Eichel sticks out, he reminds me a lot of Mats Sundin in many ways. Sundin played here in Stockholm before going over to the NHL. I got that "something is going to happen now" feeling when they take control of the puck. Fun to see.

Jeff "happyface" Skinners background as a figureskater was pretty obvious, a couple of times he almost fell over after a hit or a bump but always recovered with a quadrupel-something. Good balance and blades on him.

Overall they looked good and think they will win at least one of the games against Tampa.

However, I didn´t stick around to watch the Lightnings practice...

How big is the ice there? And were they practicing where the game is being played?

37 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

How big is the ice there? And were they practicing where the game is being played?

according to this website, the rink where the games are being played is IIHF compliant (60x30 meters).

http://www.eurohockey.com/arena/133-ericsson-globe.html

Yes they practised at the globe arena where the games will be, but the rink was NHL size,just for those 2 games. "My" team Djurgarden plays there sometimes but mostly in the rink just next door "hovet". If you didn´t allready knew, ex Buffalo-Berglund plays for Djurgarden now. He is doin´pretty good.

I´m guessing there could have been a 6-700 people in the audience when I left after Buffalos training, probably more came later since it started 3 in the afternoon when most are at work. I saw/heard plenty of english speaking buffalonians in team jerseys so I guess some of you made the trip over here. Well done. 

• Like (+1) 3

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.