The Hype of Rasmus Dahlin

Hoss

On 3/21/2019 at 11:14 AM, shrader said:

Well, he kind of was...

LOL.  The defining characteristic of Bobby's career was that it was cut tragically short by debilitating injury. 

It was his knees.  His legacy and legendary status was created in only 7 or 8 phenomenal seasons.

In one season he had 37 goals, 139 points, and was a + 124.

Ridiculous! 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Kruppstahl said:

LOL.  The defining characteristic of Bobby's career was that it was cut tragically short by debilitating injury. 

It was his knees.  His legacy and legendary status was created in only 7 or 8 phenomenal seasons.

Ridiculous! 

The Gayle Sayers of hockey.

Watching Orr in his prime(and unfortunately Im old enough to remember)..It was like watching a 17 yr old kid playing against a bunch of 12 yr olds on the backyard pond.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

22 hours ago, Kruppstahl said:

Ridiculous! 

I don't think anyone should be compared to Orr just like I think nobody should be compared to Gretzky.

They come along once in a lifetime and change the way the game is played.

I am old enough to remember Orr and he played for a team that I hate with a passion but I still saw that he was head and shoulders above everyone in the league. 

Compare Dahlin to someone like Housley or Coffey but comparing him to Orr is unfair. 

2 hours ago, Ducky said:

I don't think anyone should be compared to Orr just like I think nobody should be compared to Gretzky.

They come along once in a lifetime and change the way the game is played.

I am old enough to remember Orr and he played for a team that I hate with a passion but I still saw that he was head and shoulders above everyone in the league. 

Compare Dahlin to someone like Housley or Coffey but comparing him to Orr is unfair. 

agree on that.You cant compare people to Orr,Gretzky Lemieux.There is no one on the league now even close to those guys.(all due respect to Crosby-still a great player but not what he was since the concussions)

On 3/21/2019 at 9:07 AM, PASabreFan said:

It's a pretty good analogy. Eichel needed to work on his D and Rasmus has some wrinkles to iron out as well back there. Mentally Rasmus seems miles ahead of where Jack was. Dahlin's ceiling seems so much higher than Jack's. Jack's almost to his and he's fine, but only a few will call him great or a superstar or think of him in Hart terms. Dahlin can be this Sabre generation's Hasek when it comes to hardware. That said, there's a long way to go to make that leap from as-advertised rookie to Norris, etc.

I'm not sure I can reasonably quantify Dahlin's ceiling. It's somewhere above Karlsson and Hedman. 

Dahlin was projected to about 37 points if he played a full season. Typically young players hit under that projected amount IMPO because they aren't mentally or physically ready. Dahlin could get 45 before it is all over. That's something for sure. 

Just now, inkman said:

I wish I was as confident 

I am confident that is his ceiling, I am not confident he gets there as that is legend territory. 

30 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

I'm not sure I can reasonably quantify Dahlin's ceiling. It's somewhere above Karlsson and Hedman. 

I agree it’s really hard to figure out his ceiling. After what I am seeing this year I would say his floor is those two guys and his ceiling is a better skating Lindstrom. This might be crazy and I’m wearing Sabres colored glasses. But a man can dream right?

OK, so we all pretty much agree this kid's got IT (whatever it is).  Now what?  He's a very bright spot on a very lackluster team.  (It's like having a great set of wheels on a beat-up used car - yes, the wheels look great and the potential is there for the rest of the car to improve, but....now what?)

22 hours ago, French Collection said:

He is the 35th highest scoring 18 year old in the history of the NHL.

Highest Swede, ever.

3rd highest Dman, 1 point behind Orr.

Season's not over yet.

https://www.quanthockey.com/nhl/player-age/18-year-old-nhl-players.html

Technically he already has more points than Orr did at 18, just not in his 18 year old season. 

1 hour ago, LGR4GM said:

Dahlin was projected to about 37 points if he played a full season. Typically young players hit under that projected amount IMPO because they aren't mentally or physically ready. Dahlin could get 45 before it is all over. That's something for sure. 

I am confident that is his ceiling, I am not confident he gets there as that is legend territory. 

Yup, he definitely has the potential. 

1 hour ago, Sabre Dance said:

OK, so we all pretty much agree this kid's got IT (whatever it is).  Now what?  He's a very bright spot on a very lackluster team.  (It's like having a great set of wheels on a beat-up used car - yes, the wheels look great and the potential is there for the rest of the car to improve, but....now what?)

You build up the rest of your team.  We have a franchise centre AND a franchise D.  Christ almighty we just need management to not screw this up.  Those two pieces are the hardest to find.  The rest should be much easier to fill.  Maybe it's just blind faith but I still don't think this turnaround should take more than 2 more years.

• Like (+1) 2

On 3/20/2019 at 11:30 PM, Hoss said:

If there’s one big positive thing from this season it’s how much people have forgotten about Rasmus Dahlin. That’s a weird way to phrase it but the hype on this kid was absolutely next level. Hall of Fame defenseman was the read from every scout.

And... he’s living up to what you’d expect from an 18-year-old future Hall of Famer. I feel like so many people, myself included, just kind of put Dahlin in a corner and accepted “okay he’s great what else can we talk about?” But we should be absolutely out of our minds hyped about this kid’s future still.

He’s already over a 0.5 PPG defenseman which is a good gauge for very good offensive defenseman IN THEIR PRIME. He’s not 19 yet. Tyler Myers in 09 was the last 41+ point defenseman not named Rasmus for this franchise.

And the Sabres are the franchise that can suck out his essence, leaving just a withered husk.

4 hours ago, PromoTheRobot said:

And the Sabres are the franchise that can suck out his essence, leaving just a withered husk.

i want to chuckle but i hope thats not true. altho we are still in the midst of the end;less pegula rebuilds.year after year after year after year of disappointments.

All I can say is Josh Allen better be good this year. Or else just throw away another 5 years of autumns on the same hopeless crap we have seen since 2000.

12 hours ago, PromoTheRobot said:

I worry about this, but I expect he was fully vaccinated as a child in progressive Sweden. The good doctor comes here not to fall ill and die of our disease, but to cure us!

Edited by PASabreFan

1 hour ago, PASabreFan said:

I worry about this, but I expect he was fully vaccinated as a child in progressive Sweden. The good doctor comes here not to fall ill and die of our disease, but to cure us!

I kid but I seriously worry that this team under Housley is ruining talent. I doubt the Sabres lack talent I think they have a coach that has his way and only his way.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.